• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's unfortunate, but having more players in Japan means they do not receive a full pre-season, and if they're not involved in the NRC that produces a lot of negative factors for Australian rugby, including diminishing the quality of the competition and therefore the development of players we want stepping up to Super Rugby..... is going to have the opposite effect on our Super Rugby teams than you believe it would.

I hope what I said made a bit of sense at least.

I completely appreciate what you're saying and it''s true. I just feel we are losing quality players faster then we are developing new talent. We need a way of getting people to see out their career here even if they aren't wallabies. That way, 19 and 20 years olds won't be getting thrown into the deep end too early. If every time a players gets to a certain level of experience, ability and leaves if not a wallaby, then we will be perpetually fielding either regular wallabies - or greenhorns.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hope what I said made a bit of sense at least.

Yes. We reach different conclusions though. For me something is structurally, deeply flawed in Aus pro-rugby. It’s a different thread though.

All the best to Lucas and hopefully he returns not too jaded.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit harsh to call him a reject. He's in the squad behind some better players. Should they have benched Beale? No. It happens. Better that he moves somewhere where he might start and get more opportunity.
Maybe - but he missed the opportunity last season to make an impact when Beale was not there but yes once Beale returned actually makes sense to find opportunities elsewhere as from memory only got one time on the bench and did not even get on the field.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe - but he missed the opportunity last season to make an impact when Beale was not there but yes once Beale returned actually makes sense to find opportunities elsewhere as from memory only got one time on the bench and did not even get on the field.

He had impressive breakout NRC season couple of seasons ago but in danger of fading into the background so would love to see the brumbies bring out the best of him as still remember Simone's attacking prowess well from that breakout NRC season where named NRC player of the year from memory for that.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Obviously we need depth. Obviously. But the more I think about it, the happier I am to think our lineup next year could be:
  1. Scott Sio
  2. Folau Fainga'a
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa
  4. Rory Arnold
  5. Blake Enever
  6. Lachlan McCaffrey
  7. David Pocock
  8. Pete Samu
  9. Matt Lucas
  10. Christian Lealiifano
  11. Andrew Muirhead
  12. Irae Simone
  13. Tevita Kuridrani
  14. Henry Speight
  15. Tom Banks
The fact that McKellar has said "we'll have six quality back-rowers next year" tells me that we're bringing in Apinesa Driti as a prop: "In union I love prop but No.8 allows me to run more and frees me up from scrums and lineouts so I don't have to pack down, I get more space".

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Obviously we need depth. Obviously. But the more I think about it, the happier I am to think our lineup next year could be:
  1. Scott Sio
  2. Folau Fainga'a
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa
  4. Rory Arnold
  5. Blake Enever
  6. Lachlan McCaffrey
  7. David Pocock
  8. Pete Samu
  9. Matt Lucas
  10. Christian Lealiifano
  11. Andrew Muirhead
  12. Irae Simone
  13. Tevita Kuridrani
  14. Henry Speight
  15. Tom Banks
The fact that McKellar has said "we'll have six quality back-rowers next year" tells me that we're bringing in Apinesa Driti as a prop: "In union I love prop but No.8 allows me to run more and frees me up from scrums and lineouts so I don't have to pack down, I get more space".
Having Refereed Apinesa a bit this year in Colts he is a devastating ball carrier but very raw as a prop

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
  1. Scott Sio
  2. Folau Fainga'a
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa
  4. Rory Arnold
  5. Blake Enever
  6. Lachlan McCaffrey
  7. David Pocock
  8. Pete Samu
  9. Matt Lucas
  10. Christian Lealiifano
  11. Andrew Muirhead
  12. Irae Simone
  13. Tevita Kuridrani
  14. Henry Speight
  15. Tom Banks
I am obviously a little more bliss than you'd be about Brumbies players but Lucas over Powell????

Nothing wrong with Matt Lucas but he doesn't hold a candle against Powell in terms of talent and ability to impact the game. Kinda similar at how some thought Mann-Rea over Fainga'a leading into this season, thought that was a a little strange at the time given the trajectory of both players at the time, now and into the future.

Team as a whole looks in a solid position coming into next season. The coach has done a good job with the transition.

Confident all teams will be better versions of themselves into next season, even if only marginally

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am obviously a little more bliss than you'd be about Brumbies players but Lucas over Powell????

Nothing wrong with Matt Lucas but he doesn't hold a candle against Powell in terms of talent and ability to impact the game

I've much preferred Lucas' impact on games, though I do acknowledge that it can be easier from the bench. Could have also gone for Cusack or Valetini over McCaffrey, or Carter over Enever. I agree that we will be a better version of ourselves!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've much preferred Lucas' impact on games, though I do acknowledge that it can be easier from the bench. Could have also gone for Cusack or Valetini over McCaffrey, or Carter over Enever. I agree that we will be a better version of ourselves!

Forgot about Valentini. Jeez the Brums are going to have some backrow options.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With everyone fit I would expect.........

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Carter (although I'd prefer Enever)
6. Samu
7. Pocock
8. Valetini
9. Powell
10. Lealiifano
11. Muirhead
12. Simone
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Banks

I think the Brumbies also need to look to the future and come up with a new captain, but I don't see any obvious candidates?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s a pretty handy line up Slim & if the biggest quibble is over which of two Wallaby locks to go with, or even who starts out of Lucas & Powell it is a not too shabby problem to have.

Having said that, I though Brumbies would Top the Australian conference this year, so I guess we’ll have to see how they actually hit the ground.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They will need to hit the ground running TSR. That means being able to replicate and continue the form with which they finished this year. At the end, they were arguably the best performing team in the Aussie conference.

I think Slim has pretty much nailed the starting side for 2019. Personally, I don't have any issue at all with Carter partnering Rory in the second row. I noticed that after he came back from his injury he was playing with noticeably more vigour than before. He has always been the lock in Aus with the highest workload, but he has lately been making his tackles hurt more and has added substantially more grunt to his work with the ball. I'd say that either McKellar or Cheika has been in his ear about playing more aggressively and he is delivering. Pity that Richie elected to go o/s just when he was showing his full potential.

How successful they'll be next year will largely depend on the quality of backup players. Injuries happen.

Front row and hooker will hopefully be well stocked with McInally, Makin, Lloyd, Alexander and another quality LHP in the roster.

Lock should be adequate with Enever and Swain as backups.

Potential bench players in the backrow include McCaffrey, Cusack and Hyne. We know how injuries this year affected the back row, so we probably need another back up player as insurance. Perhaps Pat Sio or Angus Allen or Rohan Perry?

No 9 looks ok with Lucas and Lonergan to back up Powell.

No 10 is covered now that Christian has re-signed, but still would like to see Deegan brought over for a chance at Super Rugby. Apparently, Hawera has been killing it in JID and is almost solely responsible for the Eagles' late surge to make the finals.

The Centers are lacking for reserve power atm. Simone has come in to replace Godwin but I'd like to see a quality player like Paia'aua or Meakes added to bolster the backline.

One more outside back to cover wing and fullback should also be on the shopping list.

Boost the reserves, and the Brumbies will take out the Aus conference next year, no worries.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think the Brumbies also need to look to the future and come up with a new captain, but I don't see any obvious candidates?

Banks and sio are the two you might want to build around but neither are in particularly good captaincy positions. Samu might be a good option, but it'll probably be a year before you can name him captain.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If brumbies played the way they played against the Tahs in their last game there is no reason they can't make the finals....big call but very real call on quality of rugby they played in that game....consistency though is no easy thing....at least for oz sides...for a side like the crusaders....perhaps not....that is the benchmark imho.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RN, The Brumbies played consistent high quality rugby over the last five games of the season, not just against the Tahs. Wins over the Bulls, Sunwolves, Hurricanes and Tahs and a denied chance to win at the death against the Chiefs. It was no fluke that they had the Tahs measure as they finished as the best performing side in the Aus conference.

Not such a big call at all to suggest they will be successful next year, and my early prediction is that, if the Tahs lose Folau, the Brumbies will top the conference next year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Banks and sio are the two you might want to build around but neither are in particularly good captaincy positions. Samu might be a good option, but it'll probably be a year before you can name him captain.

I have no clue as to whether Samu has the makings of a captain or not, but I'd remind you that Ben Mowen was appointed captain in his first year with the Brumbies. Not altogether unheard of.