• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Would it be fair to say that the Wallabies is not the best place to start developing the skills of players? I would have though DR would be looking for players who already have the skills he wants in a player. And if that's the case, then what we really need is for the Super Rugby teams to be developing players in a way that will be best for the Wallabies. This seems to be one very big advantage NZ has over us. NZ Super Rugby teams are playing in a way that makes for a seamless transition from Super Rugby to AB's. And hey, their info-sharing centralised model actually benefits their Super Rugby teams as well.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Would it be fair to say that the Wallabies is not the best place to start developing the skills of players? I would have though DR would be looking for players who already have the skills he wants in a player. And if that's the case, then what we really need is for the Super Rugby teams to be developing players in a way that will be best for the Wallabies. This seems to be one very big advantage NZ has over us. NZ Super Rugby teams are playing in a way that makes for a seamless transition from Super Rugby to AB's. And hey, their info-sharing centralised model actually benefits their Super Rugby teams as well.

Johnson said something at the presser yesterday about getting (paraphrasing here) all the Super teams to be singing from the same songbook. He didn't go into it, though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
JK, I don't doubt that the players (well most of them) have the skills when they make it into the Wallabies. But over the past five years, there was no apparent improvement in the application of skills across the board. Witness the continual paucity of a kicking game, from hand and for goal, the almost non-existent chase after numerous box kicks per game, the very poor tackling techniques and efforts by certain favoured players, the reliance on one or two lineout callers, the usual mediocre standard of throwing to the lineout - the list goes on. I don't want to see a situation after two years in the job, any of the coaching staff are being called out for failing in these areas as was evident with Cheika.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I get the hate for Cheika, but I don’t agree with that at all.

One of our many issues is that the players have been getting to super rugby level without the necessary core skills and our Wallaby selections have been a non-stop run of compromises.

Across the board we don’t execute the basic skills of the game well enough - kicking probably being the worst example but we have had consistent deficiencies in our catch/pass, our tackling, our breakdown play and our kick-chase (which is woeful across the board). Add to that our support play is poor and, whatever Cheika’s failings, it should be acknowledged he has never been the whole of the problem.

I do think I see genuine improvement - both amongst the super structures and with the new bunch of players coming through. My two hopes are that this is not just wishful thinking on my part and that this is the result of much more thought/attention/investment being given to and made in our junior development (which I do think there is also evidence of).

I am not trying to let Cheika off the hook - I think he is very culpable for the Wallabies decline - but if we fail to address any of the other issues then no new coach will be successful.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
JK, I don't doubt that the players (well most of them) have the skills when they make it into the Wallabies. But over the past five years, there was no apparent improvement in the application of skills across the board. Witness the continual paucity of a kicking game, from hand and for goal, the almost non-existent chase after numerous box kicks per game, the very poor tackling techniques and efforts by certain favoured players, the reliance on one or two lineout callers, the usual mediocre standard of throwing to the lineout - the list goes on. I don't want to see a situation after two years in the job, any of the coaching staff are being called out for failing in these areas as was evident with Cheika.
Hrmm, but there was evidence of skills being improved under Cheika - Latu improved out of sight and became a nailed on starter from a bench warmer at the Tahs.

I think there are major supply side issues.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Completely understand and agree with the prime targets for backs/attack (wisemantel) and defence (taylor)

Not 100% on forwards though. Stiles is a set piece expert, whereas I'm sure Kefu is more general forward play/culture.

If only 1 can be chosen, WHO! Or perhaps they stick with Simon....

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Completely understand and agree with the prime targets for backs/attack (wisemantel) and defence (taylor)

Not 100% on forwards though. Stiles is a set piece expert, whereas I'm sure Kefu is more general forward play/culture.

If only 1 can be chosen, WHO! Or perhaps they stick with Simon..
Stiles can fuck right off.. his good as a scrum coach, but I would say the rest of his forward play is rubbish.. plus every team his been in has gone to shit.. Mini bus mark 2

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I can't see Stiles being involved. While I thing he is a good coach there are others who I'd go for first. Simon R is probably the only one involved with the Wallabies who has improved his reputation, I'm fine with him staying one. Lord Laurie has plenty of runs on the board at Super level and would be a great addition.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
By all accounts Laurie Fisher would be an outstanding forwards and/or breakdown coach for the Wallabies.

However I am not convinced he should remain an ACT coach at the same time. For mine the Wallabies coaching staff needs to be working with all of the super rugby franchises to help share best practice as well as working with all the development programs. He clearly couldn’t do that if still on staff with ACT.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wallabies coaches heading out to the provinces and tweaking their programs is a pipedream at the moment. They all think their way is best and ignore them.