• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Very happy with that move. Probably even more so then the appointment of Wisemantel.

Good to see a quality coaching group being assembled.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, looking very good Dru. Will be interesting to see what their selection policies will be in respect of some spots on the team - No 15, Wing, No 13, No 12 (actually the whole of the backline until Nic White becomes available to fill the No 9 spot. Most other spots must have options and decisions to be made).

Most of the pack will probably select itself with the front row, one lock spot, and probably two of the back row already accounted for.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, looking very good Dru. Will be interesting to see what their selection policies will be in respect of some spots on the team - No 15, Wing, No 13, No 12 (actually the whole of the backline until Nic White becomes available to fill the No 9 spot. Most other spots must have options and decisions to be made).

Most of the pack will probably select itself with the front row, one lock spot, and probably two of the back row already accounted for.

Agree with all that but let’s hope they have an eye on rewarding g performance during the Super season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

All the "locked in" Brumbies in the off-season? Maybe we see how Super 2020 plays out? Just a thought.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
All the "locked in" Brumbies in the off-season? Maybe we see how Super 2020 plays out? Just a thought.

I think he means Sio AAA Rodda Hooper and Isi at a guess, but your right, there's some great young guys coming through. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) will target a 1 jersey, Thor a 3 jersey.

To be fair Im really looking forward to see how Hooper plays under coaches not from Chekia's group. I think we could see a really on Ball Hooper and show how truely good he is.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With the lack of any actual domestic rugby, it’s an interesting enough conversation to have - with the caveats that everything is subject to change on the basis of form and injury as you point out Cyclo.

To what extent, if any, will incumbency have its advantages in the new regime?

Personally, I’d argue very little - there isn’t really any reason for Rennie to hang on to any of the previous regime. I’m not suggesting any lines will be put through players - simply that jerseys are up for grabs.

My view is that the most likely incumbents to maintain their spot are Ala'alatoa, Rodda, Hooper, Koriobete & Petaia. The first three have not only been excellent at Wallaby level, they’ve also been superb at Super rugby level and, unless they have a slump in that regard they are the clear best available in their spots, at least at the moment. I feel it is likely that Hooper will come under pressure from McReight in time and think both Tupou & Johnson-Holmes look very capable of challenging Ala'alatoa, but I doubt there’ll be a change in the pecking order in the near term (although Tupou does have it in him IMO). Koriobete’s Super form was patchy and Petaia hardly played but if they maintain fitness its hard to imagine they won’t hold their spot. They both look a level above any of the options (tough on TK - but Petaia’s game is much more rounded).

Unless I’m missing someone obvious, every other spot is up for grabs. Guys like Sio & Naisarani would seem the most likely option, but I think there are other guys capable of playing themselves into test calculations in those spots.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I had to research this, Sully. Not sure I got all the details right so happy to be corrected where ever required. Over Robbie Deans time he had Jim Williams & Phil Blake & then McGahan, Blades and Scrivener - so not completely neutral but that is the last time we had a reasonable period of detachment.

Prior to that we had John Connolly for a short period. Obviously he had a long term association with Qld, but there had been a reasonable gap.

Prior to that I’m not sure we had any detached coaching group back in my memory. Eddie Jones & McQueen both came straight from the Brumbies, while Alan Jones, Bob Dwyer & the late Greg Smith all had ties to the Waratahs.