• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In terms of style or coaching and game plans, I don't think there is anything wrong with clubs taking their own approach to how they are going to execute the game. Reds, Brumbies, Waratahs and Rebels aren't all going to have the same playing stock, depth, experience or skill to execute the game the way the Wallabies intend to do. Variety and diversity also ensures different teams are bringing different trains and skills which can then be pieced together at the test level.

Look at the Brumbies in 2018/2019 and their use of the rolling maul, that was eventually adopted at test level but was broadly detested by teams at Super Rugby level. Thats entirely down to the coaching decision of McKellar and where he believed his teams strengths were.

Where there needs to be collaboration probably comes down to fitness and conditioning, and ensuring that all the teams are performing or training to a similar level/best practice. Potentially it comes down to requesting players shift positions, but again that's a fairly subjective request which needs to be measured against the best interest of both teams. Moving player 'x' to another position might benefit his exposure, but if it negatively impacts on the teams performance then is it really a positive move?

This. I don't think I'd like it. Balancing fitness training - only for the players with top ups - OK but I run out of things I'd be happy about shortly thereafter.

I doubt I'd be happy with a WB dictate as to where LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), JOC (James O'Connor) or Lucas plays.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think there should be an early season summit between the Wallaby coaching staff and the Super franchises where in that three weeks that Rennie has the 6N window. What would happen would be that Rennie and his assistants sit down with the franchise coaches and provide some guidance about the style of footy they want to play, S&C (as someone else pointed out) and the type of players they're looking for to fill the requisite positions. Rennie can then go back to Scotland and fulfill his obligations to Glasgow, with the knowledge that the assistants can continue monitoring the situation here in OZ, provide feedback to the HC and franchise coaches.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How would Brumbies fans have felt if Cheika dictated down to the McKellar the style of play that the Brumbies should play?
Would it have helped either teams?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think some people are missing the point of what they did in NZ. They did not dictate how individual teams played, but they adopted a coherent structure to coaching with regards to scrum, other set-piece, skills etc at all levels, so players were singing from the same song-sheet generally. Yes, they broadly promoted a style (attacking) that they wanted to identify as theirs, but it wasn't what some posters are saying above. But it does help players to be focussed on what is going to be required at the next level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
well he's done all those already.
giphy-4.gif

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So it now looks like Matt Taylor is in talks to sign as an Assistant Coach.

If we can secure him and Wisemantel, I'd be very happy indeed.

While the ideal scenario may have been Jones or Joseph instead of Rennie, to end up with Rennie/Taylor/Wisemantel is pretty bloody good IMO.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Looking forward to next year's rugby championship. New coaches for us and New Zealand, and most likely South Africa. A good time for renewal

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

While the ideal scenario may have been Jones or Joseph instead of Rennie, to end up with Rennie/Taylor/Wisemantel is pretty bloody good IMO.

My mail from a very good source is that Rennie was the NZRU preferred option. Jones and Joseph were both spoken to by RA, but un-gettable, and Rennie was viewed as an on-par option with either.
Personally I don't see this as being a compromise in any way really. I think the overall package is looking very, very strong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My mail from a very good source is that Rennie was the NZRU preferred option. Jones and Joseph were both spoken to by RA, but un-gettable, and Rennie was viewed as an on-par option with either.
Personally I don't see this as being a compromise in any way really. I think the overall package is looking very, very strong.

I would also be highly sceptical as to whether Eddie Jones would have been a preferable appointment.

If his coaching budget had been more in line with what he'd have at RA compared to the RFU would his stint as England coach have looked anywhere near as good?

I don't think you could have dreamed of things falling into place better (on paper at least) than how things are playing out with Rennie and the assistants being hired.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I love how there is so much emphasis on the assistant coaches. This is a key area which seemed to be missing in past coaches. I can't recall any "wish lists" or selection process for the assistants. They seemed to just throw a few people in who were available.

This is building to be a really strong coaching team (if Wisemantel and Taylor are indeed assistants).

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Unlikely that we will ever know for sure, but if it's true it is a truly extraordinary situation.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rennie being NZR's favoured candidate seems feasible to me. Likely, even. If so, I suspect he became the preferred candidate at about half time in the semifinal. Prior to that they likely assumed Jabba would win, and old benign Fozzie would be promoted by virtue of seniority and continuity; hence why Rennie had next to no contact with NZR prior to the RWC.

Having thrown all their eggs into the continuity-at-all-costs basket, NZR now find themselves in a proper pickle of their own making. Unfortunately they'll probably double down on it and it'll regularly see Rennie eat Foster for lunch over the next few seasons.