• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
It'll be interesting to see whether the Aussie Women's are released to play NRLW as has been rumoured.. Its a dangerous game to play, for one it gives young players a good quality competition to develop in, but it also gives them a taste of the alternative, and the Aussies Sevens teams loses positive control on their players

I think they’ve already been given permission some of the girls have already been playing League in the Harvey Norman Cup

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
You could also look on the positive side in that the mixing could attract NRLW players to 7s with the Olympics (and first hand experiences) being a major pull. Casslick turned into a worldwide star.

Unfortunately, with poor prospects for the Olympics and the World Sevens circuit I think we will loose this current crop. No AON Uni 7s. The girls just want to play.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd think the AON might get relaunched next year. Will give them some rugby to play. Not sure of the prospects of being full time players, unless they work out the calendar and they can all play rugby and league to boost their wages.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Have a decent number of our 7’s girls playing NRLW, first game finished and they all did rather well. Would’ve said Caslick was the best back on either team, can’t wait to watch Green and Pelite this afternoon

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Green in particular did well & Pelite did some good things.

On the flip side I hope the Aussie Womens 7s are giving Tamika Upton a call. She is a Aussie Touch Rep as well so her ball skills would be fine. She doesn’t have much 7s experience though so whether she could get up to speed at the break down would be the big question.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Have a decent number of our 7’s girls playing NRLW, first game finished and they all did rather well. Would’ve said Caslick was the best back on either team, can’t wait to watch Green and Pelite this afternoon
Caught the highlights, Caslick looked really good. Do we get her back?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t think anything is certain - but as far as I have read they all intend to come back. They need to pay the bills on the meantime though.
Yep, more than fair to head across to NRLW where they can get a game. I don’t think the difference between 7s and League is that great anyway. She might pick up so offloading in contact skills.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
The top 20-30? are centrally contracted and then I’m led to believe the others are paid small amounts (larger amounts under the table)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The top 20-30? are centrally contracted and then I’m led to believe the others are paid small amounts (larger amounts under the table)

From what I could find there are 19 centrally contracted players sharing $750k. Most of them established Wallaroos. I doubt they'll be earning enough to be in danger of permanently jumping ship.

Not that I think they should be held to just one option. I actually think this is one area both codes could work with one another in terms of talent development and retention.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Yep, more than fair to head across to NRLW where they can get a game. I don’t think the difference between 7s and League is that great anyway. She might pick up so offloading in contact skills.

What are the similarities between league and sevens as you see?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NRLW standard is significantly higher than Super W. I was quite impressed.
Nrlw is semi pro - super w amateur - unfortunately - ps I really don’t like league and if one day rugby could get its shit together in this country I feel we could make inroads on league (market share wise)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NRLW standard is significantly higher than Super W. I was quite impressed.

maybe more competitive but gees there was a lot of dropped ball.

Kudos to the NRL for achieving gender equity though - league is boring whichever gender plays.

Enjoyed the 7s girls those.

Gee there were heaps of girls who had played rugby.

The Broncos had Lauren Brown, Millie Boyle, Lavinia Gould, Shannon Mato.
The Roosters had Shanice Parker, Yasmin Meakes, Zahara Temara, Hannah Southwell, Kennedy Cherrington
The Dragons had Tiana Penitani, Mahalia Murphy, Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausii

Don't know about the Warriors other than the Green and Pelite.

The bolded played Super W this year. Millie Boyle would've but hurt herself at training.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
maybe more competitive but gees there was a lot of dropped ball.

Kudos to the NRL for achieving gender equity though - league is boring whichever gender plays.

Enjoyed the 7s girls those.

Gee there were heaps of girls who had played rugby.

The Broncos had Lauren Brown, Millie Boyle, Lavinia Gould, Shannon Mato.
The Roosters had Shanice Parker, Yasmin Meakes, Zahara Temara, Hannah Southwell, Kennedy Cherrington
The Dragons had Tiana Penitani, Mahalia Murphy, Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausii

Don't know about the Warriors other than the Green and Pelite.

The bolded played Super W this year. Millie Boyle would've but hurt herself at training.
Grace Hamilton I think is signed to the Roosters squad as well