• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rocket was good last tournament I thought.

The women had a very impressive win v the USA. Tonegato is thriving with the extra responsibility with no Caslick or Pelite. Such a good player.

Really thought Cassie Staples stood up this game. Was marking Tapper, who is huge, and just didn’t give her any space. A really tough and gutsy performance.

Didn't see any of these games Reg, but I've always thought Tonegato was the best of the lot.

S

Show-n-go

^ maybe RA should be looking at what NZR are doing:

"Nationally ranked sprinters, provincial netballers, age-grade AFL stars, and New Zealand Secondary Schools rugby representatives are among the 96 players named to take part in the inaugural Red Bull Ignite7 event this November."

https://www.collegesportmedia.co.nz/rugby-union/ignite-7s-squads-named

48 male & 48 female players with three of each selected to spend time at NZ7's training camps between HSBC Series comps.

It just wows me a bit you have Australian representative touch players like Sam Brisby and the Kennedy twins who are freaks and have a history of playing union

Dylan Hennessy who is easily the best touch player in the world, I’ve played against both Longbottom and Hennessy in oztag/touch and Hennessy is bigger and way more skilful

Pete Norman again skilful af and while small is an absolute beast in the gym and physically would be up to it

I even have a mate who’s come up through the age groups for Australia touch and is getting put into the Aus team despite just being 21 (pretty unheard of in touch stakes) he is 6”3 and would be 90+kg without any weights training or anything

why aren’t these guys getting a tap on the shoulder and getting asked to come along to a training session, players like this would be at least as promising as the sprinter guy is

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I even have a mate who’s come up through the age groups for Australia touch and is getting put into the Aus team despite just being 21 (pretty unheard of in touch stakes) he is 6”3 and would be 90+kg without any weights training or anything

why aren’t these guys getting a tap on the shoulder and getting asked to come along to a training session, players like this would be at least as promising as the sprinter guy is

Maybe they should rock up and play in a few club 7s tournaments.....to see if they like and or can handle contact, rather than just parachuting guys in. Big difference between 15s and 7s, an abyss between 7s and touch.

S

Show-n-go

Not advocating for parachuting people in, but a talent id camp or something like that

And it’s actually really difficult to get involved in 7’s, opportunities are really limited, even more so if you aren’t a top line 15’s player

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Aussie Women’s performance is even more impressive when you consider they are without Caslick, Pelite, Cherry & Du Toit.

The latest group of youngsters are doing some good things.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aussie women finished with the silver medal in Cape Town and are ranked second after NZ.

The men finished 12th and are ranked 8th. Notably, Ireland, Kenya and Canada are ranked below at 10, 11 and 12 respectively and all beat the Aussies in this tournament. Does the poor form of the Aussie men coincide with the parachuting in of players from outside the initial squad?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Awesome performance from the NZ women without Portia Woodman, Mikayla Blyde & Sarah Hirini (Goss) & can only improve when those three return.

Men also really good & looking forward to the Series resuming in January.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Aussie women finished with the silver medal in Cape Town and are ranked second after NZ.

The men finished 12th and are ranked 8th. Notably, Ireland, Kenya and Canada are ranked below at 10, 11 and 12 respectively and all beat the Aussies in this tournament. Does the poor form of the Aussie men coincide with the parachuting in of players from outside the initial squad?

Maybe it does. Maybe it is a coincidence. Either way we know that our ranks need strengthening, and there is only one way to strengthen the ranks, and that is to bring in some new players.

They will all need to get a lot better in a very short time. The whips are cracking.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Horrible performance from the men, yes they were resting players and rotating, but they shouldn’t have performed that poorly.

Women looked good, inexperience shown through in the finals but jeez the crop of new girls in the team look really promising.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The Ausssie girls defence improved this tournament , great to see they are learning and improving.

To be second on the series, having been without Caslick, Sykes, Du Toit, Treherne, Dick on these last two legs, is impressive. Building really good depth, not going to be an easy selection come Olympics time.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"The World Rugby Sevens Challenger Series, a new and exciting international rugby sevens competition, will be launched in February 2020 to boost rugby sevens’ development across the globe.

"The teams who will compete in the 2020 World Rugby Sevens Challenger Series are Brazil, Chile, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Tonga, Uganda, Uruguay and Zimbabwe. They will be joined by three invitational teams from the Americas in Colombia, Mexico and Paraguay."

https://www.world.rugby/challenger-series

TLDR: instead of 16 teams playing off to see who gets promoted to the HSBC Series in a one-off tournament run alongside the HK7's, now there will be two 16-team preliminary tournaments & an 8-team Finals series at HK. Men's only ATM but a seperate announcement re: a women's series is pending.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pools & draw for Hamilton are out.

Aus men in Pool D with Fiji, Argentina & Samoa. Tough draw, that.
NZ in Pool A with Scotland, USA & Wales

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/stage/1956/fixtures

Aus women in Pool B with USA, Russia & Brazil
NZ in Pool A with Fiji, England & China

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/stage/1966/fixtures

Note that there are no QF which is fucking ridiculous IMO & hopefully something that doesn't catch on. I'm actually hoping (but not expecting) WR (World Rugby) step in & tell NZR to go away & don't come back until they've worked out how to schedule a proper tournament.

Shit, they've already cut the Plate for QF losers (which was pretty much filler IMO so no great loss) & I just don't see the need to do away with QF, it just increases the chances of someone missing out on a playoff due to a random Card or other reffing blunder. All they need to do is play a Round of matches on Friday night (like every previous combined Men's & Women's tournament that I can recall has done).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chloe Dalton back in Australian colours. At least once the WAFL finishes. GF in April I believe which gives her a couple of tournaments before the Olympics to get her groove back. Perhaps more if her AFL team bomb out early.

A wonderful talent. Fitness shouldn't be a problem. It will just be her feel for the game. But what an athlete she is.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Chloe Dalton back in Australian colours. At least once the WAFL finishes. GF in April I believe which gives her a couple of tournaments before the Olympics to get her groove back. Perhaps more if her AFL team bomb out early.

A wonderful talent. Fitness shouldn't be a problem. It will just be her feel for the game. But what an athlete she is.

She has kept up her rugby training with Peter Breen (Rugbybricks founder and Wallaroos assistant coach). They did a podcast early December and talked about a dual contract.

Andre

Frank Row (1)
Sorry, I am new to the forum. Watching Hamilton 7s now. What has happened to the highly touted signing of 'Quadzilla'?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's played a few tournaments, but I suspect Walsh is starting to lock down his actual team to build those combinations. We may see him next tournament in Sydney regardless. There's always shuffling in the 7s squads.