• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Who would have thought that maybe size isn't so important in sevens..
On an individual basis maybe, but when you have 3 side by side, it’s an issue.
I hope to be proven wrong, but I foresee our smaller backs making their tackles but not being able to stop the offload.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
National Youth 7s tournament completed over the weekend with Qld and NSW winning U18 women's and U18 men's respectively. Good to see this still ongoing.

Uni 7s series obviously kicking on for women's sevens development as well.

Anyone know what's happening with a men's national sevens tournament - has this been scrapped?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Watched the Aussie women’s team last night, very impressive performance, speed and handling was a level above Fiji, especially from the 18 year debutants, they have some serious speed and footwork. Having the two forwards back In Williams and Parry helped with the muscle up front.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, they were excellent. Barely put a foot wrong. You are right on the influence of Parry and Williams. They were immense. Great impact by the rookies too. Some excellent passing skills all round.

Watch the men be pretty dominant over a pretty damn average Scottish team. They play the Irish today and then I think the USA tonight. Can't see them getting over the US, but who knows. Trae Williams got on for the last 2.5 minutes or so. I don't believe he touched the ball, but his first play was a try saving 'tackle'. I thought he looked genuinely comfortable out there. Tackled well when needed. Never looked lost in alignment. We just need him to get the ball. Josh Coward is one player who caught the eye I thought. Turning into a very handy player which is great to see because he copped a lot of flack in his early appearances last year.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
They played well against the septics and didn't really give them a chance. Good to see them do well.

The girls look very good. The kids come on at the end of the game and look like stars. I think the girls are my favourite Oz rugby side, just excellent passing, tackling and attacking skills. Great to see they get a few more games this year. After the olympics it will be a very different side as i suspect many may call it quits.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Just got a feeling this will be a good tournament for our mobs.

Importantly, Elia Green's injury query was shaken off with a couple of tries and running at full stretch. A player like that makes a difference at the pointy end of the competition.

The girls look very good. The kids come on at the end of the game and look like stars.
Yep, hit the ground running - I'd say one of the benefits of the Uni 7s running three seasons now.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think his total minutes for the tournament so far would be around two and a bit. No chances to cut loose and run with the ball. He's being eased into the game - which is okay.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Brought back to reality. Not up to date on injuries, but that was not an impressive side against Samoa.

I think that the importance of size in Sevens might have been answered, to some extent, not only in our game, but the Blitzbokke were just overwhelming, as well as too fast and skillful.

WAZA

Frank Row (1)
I watched the men’s quarter final and imo the turning point was the poor line out throw that gave Samoa the leg up it needed to go on with the win. It’s such a frustrating way to concede the possession and dominance ! Hopefully there will be many highly repetitious line out training sessions scheduled to get it perfect. You can’t compete at this level successfully without being throughly examined by the opposition each tournament, expect the line out to be strategically targeted in future.
The women had a great tournament and showed good squad depth in attack but fragility in defence against the top teams. This will improve with experienced players coming back. Defence should be the coaching focus for the development of the younger squad players who were out foxed by the experienced Canadians.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if he will technically qualify for the wallabies now as well for this season as he’s signed a dual contract with RA and Suntory. Could easily find a loophole in the rules

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
McMahon will be a level above, his fitness might not quite be there but in terms of skill and talent the other forwards in the aussie 7's team dont compare to guys like McMahon or Hooper.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
I read where they had been able to get some stats from Mcmahons jap side and they said he was already at sevens fit standard.

They really missed holland last week, i guess he is not there this week, but McMahon will make a difference.

Once he gets use to it he will be a star.

Here's hoping...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Squad for Cape Town

Australian Men's Sevens squad

1. Joe Pincus (vc), Easts (Sydney), 7 caps

2. Jeral Skelton, Brothers, 15 caps

3. Henry Hutchison, Randwick, 27 caps

4. Simon Kennewell, Randwick, 20 caps

5. Jesse Parahi, 45 caps

6. Sean McMahon, 20 caps, Suntory

7. Lewis Holland, Queanbeyan, 47 caps

8. Josh Coward, Souths (Melbourne), 6 caps

9. Josh Turner, Manly, 1 cap

10. Lachlan Miller, Randwick, 7 caps

11. Trae Williams, 1 cap

12. Rod Davies, 1 cap

13th, Matthew Hood, Sydney University, 6 Caps

Longbottom has been rested as part of a Olympics rotation plan.