• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Squad for Cape Town

Australian Men's Sevens squad

1. Joe Pincus (vc), Easts (Sydney), 7 caps

2. Jeral Skelton, Brothers, 15 caps

3. Henry Hutchison, Randwick, 27 caps

4. Simon Kennewell, Randwick, 20 caps

5. Jesse Parahi, 45 caps

6. Sean McMahon, 20 caps, Suntory

7. Lewis Holland, Queanbeyan, 47 caps

8. Josh Coward, Souths (Melbourne), 6 caps

9. Josh Turner, Manly, 1 cap

10. Lachlan Miller, Randwick, 7 caps

11. Trae Williams, 1 cap

12. Rod Davies, 1 cap

13th, Matthew Hood, Sydney University, 6 Caps

Longbottom has been rested as part of a Olympics rotation plan.

Lewy looking fit after training with SBW and Keegan Smith for a week.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Aus women 32-0 England
Next match v Ireland 15:45 AEST

NZ 40-0 SA
Next v Fiji 19:35

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/stage/1971/fixtures

Aus men 21-26 Ireland you'd have to count that as an upset albeit it was 6 v 7 at the end.
Next v Kenya 19:57

NZ 43-7 Wales
Next v Canada 22:07

Also:
Argentina 33-21 Canada
England 24-26 Scotland in another upset.

Fiji v USA & SA v Japan to close the opening session.

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/stage/1955/fixtures

Aussie Women off to a good start, poor start by the men losing to Ireland

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Aussie Girls win the World School 7s. Opponent in the final were Japan who were very impressive, even though the Aussie girls got them in the end.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
women 7s looking very good (again) in South Africa. But the true judgement will be made after we see their ability to sustain it over 3 days.

Shannon Parry and Sharni Williams have been exceptional. Quirk and Tonegato doing their thing too. The newbies Ashby, Nathan and Whitfield are three of the more exciting players we've seen since the last Olympics.

Like I said though, we need to back up tomorrow and win when it counts.

Reactions: TSR

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
women 7s looking very good (again) in South Africa. But the true judgement will be made after we see their ability to sustain it over 3 days.
Yep, they play a great all court game. Skills honed by some players coming through from a touch background? I don't know.

The women's team is not far off but it seems they can get out-muscled at times against top sides.

Men's team also susceptible to it IMO. Balancing act for game plan and selections.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
gee that Men's performance v Kenya was poor. Just a bad game all round. Average handling and poor decision making. Rocket was a passenger unfortunately and McMahon didn't contribute much. Skelton has been fairly hit and miss of late too, with more miss than hit.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
gee that Men's performance v Kenya was poor. Just a bad game all round. Average handling and poor decision making. Rocket was a passenger unfortunately and McMahon didn't contribute much. Skelton has been fairly hit and miss of late too, with more miss than hit.
When they are bad, they have no bottom.

If you back the underdogs whenever Oz are favourites, you'll finish a long way ahead.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus, NZ & France women unbeaten in Pool play.

QF from 18:50 AEDT:

France v Russia
Aus v Fiji
Canada v USA
NZ v England

Aus men DNQ after losing 21-26 v Ireland & 7-12 v Kenya, play Canada for 11th at 1:32 Monday.

SA 26-14 Fiji to decide Pool A.

QF from 20:18:

SA v Kenya
France v Argentina
Ireland v Fiji
NZ v Scotland

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I am at the stage where I record the games and only watch the replay when we win. Sight unseen, I just cannot imagine the value of Rocket Rod in Sevens, unless he has grown a fair bit and kept his pace.

We had better see a lot of improvement very quickly, otherwise.........I don't know what. :(

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rocket was good last tournament I thought.

The women had a very impressive win v the USA. Tonegato is thriving with the extra responsibility with no Caslick or Pelite. Such a good player.

Really thought Cassie Staples stood up this game. Was marking Tapper, who is huge, and just didn’t give her any space. A really tough and gutsy performance.

Reactions: TSR
S

Show-n-go

Really thought Cassie Staples stood up this game. Was marking Tapper, who is huge, and just didn’t give her any space. A really tough and gutsy performance.

I’ve wondered many a time how the hell staples has ever been within shouting distance of the Aussie team so good to hear she’s pulling her weight

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I am at the stage where I record the games and only watch the replay when we win. Sight unseen, I just cannot imagine the value of Rocket Rod in Sevens, unless he has grown a fair bit and kept his pace.

We had better see a lot of improvement very quickly, otherwise...I don't know what. :(
He’s adequate, but he sums up the problem with our small guys.
Longbottom aside, none of them have brilliant feet or explosive pace, they are just small guys, competing against bigger guys.
Having said that, Turner runs good lines with good timing,he’ll continue to improve.

S

Show-n-go

I don’t know why the men’s team don’t do talent scouting from Touch Football ranks the same as what the women’s team have done in the past. There’s plenty of high level touch players with great feet and vision who are pretty solidly built

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ maybe RA should be looking at what NZR are doing:

"Nationally ranked sprinters, provincial netballers, age-grade AFL stars, and New Zealand Secondary Schools rugby representatives are among the 96 players named to take part in the inaugural Red Bull Ignite7 event this November."

https://www.collegesportmedia.co.nz/rugby-union/ignite-7s-squads-named

48 male & 48 female players with three of each selected to spend time at NZ7's training camps between HSBC Series comps.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Pama Fou was a volleyball player who was spotted brought across a few years ago. I am pretty sure attempts have been made to locate potential recruits.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ NZ has also recruited from other sports but previously it was more-or-less a case of someone saying to someone else "you should go have a look at this kid, he/she would make a good 7's player, I reckon". The Ignite7's approach casts a much wider net, esp among athletes in Olympic sports who aren't quite good enough to make it in that sport. Also basketball, league & AFL players (yes, cross-country volleyball exists on this side of the ditch) among others. Believe it or not, not every kiwi kid grows up playing rugby & only rugby so the wider the net the better the catch I think sums up the philosophy behind the program.