• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
As I just sent a tweet to Link, whats the odds of getting a G Smith to fill in for a few cameo performances?

It'd allow Gill and Quirk to partake in the Under 20's and for Georgie to have some fun in Aus again?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
As I just sent a tweet to Link, whats the odds of getting a G Smith to fill in for a few cameo performances?

It'd allow Gill and Quirk to partake in the Under 20's and for Georgie to have some fun in Aus again?

Ask him to call up the coprates in the morning and secure some funds.

I dont care if all the reds players are plastered with advertising, or the if the pitch at lang park has so many sponsors logo's that you can't see a green blade of grass.

It will all be worth in the end.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I must say that Ben Lucas does a great job for the Reds. He tackles his heart out and comes into the line as second ball player really well. He has no fear and is happy to take on guys who are close to twice his size. I couldn't leave him out of the starting 15 the way he is playing.

I would have to agree Jets. I have heard Link loves his style of play. Being from the coast I probably am not being loyal, but I think Mos is better suited to wing than fullback anyway. But after the game on Sunday as he came past us, Lucas was hobbling badly. I wouldn't be surprised that combined with his shoulder issues if Link rests him for this week-end to freshen him up

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
An injury list on the Reds website giving details of who's out & their expected return dates would come in handy for the fans.

Link, if you're reading this.....

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Well on the topic of Sunday arvo's attendance I just did the new calculation for our average this year, which currently sits at:

*Drumroll*

30,288!

And could rise to approximately 34k if we get a home semi and final.

That's destroying everyone else in Aus if I remember correctly, Force avg 15k, Rebels about the same, Tahs 17k, Ponies 11k. In fact I'm pretty sure it's only matched by the stormers, who incidently get 30000 to the nothing games i.e. vs the Force. They will avg 40k this year me thinks. Still, brilliant news to crack the 30k avg, let's hope we can hold it till the end of the season so we show everyone what kind of support there is for rugby here. I also heard we are the biggest rated in the country on TV which is no surprise, Crusaders game got an AVG of 204000 on Fox, out rating a few AFL programs and just behind a top NRL game...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yep Gill is heading home tonight, Robinson is out for 4 weeks, and Rod Davies is back at training expected for a return by finals. That's the information I've managed to gather this morning :-D

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
On a slightly different note, heard yesterday that Sunday's game added about $400k to the QRU's bottom line. I have heard from a previous QRU board member that every seat above budget nets about $20 to the QRU. So for a big match like last Sunday, which given previous year's turnouts and the undoubted need to budget conservatively, I'm guessing they banked on a crowd of about 25k. An extra 20k bums on seats, not surprising equates to an extra $400k. Great news for the Qld rugby.

The other potential big money spinner is of course a home final, which is completely above budget; and at $20 to the pocket for every seat sold, you can do the maths.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Laim Gill is heading home. Leaves Milan tonight.

Flanker Liam Gill has been released from the Australian Under 20s squad to boost the Queensland Reds run into the Super Rugby finals.

Gill, who left with David Nucifora’s 26-man Junior World Championships squad on Sunday, arrived in Milan yesterday and will board another plane home tonight following an injury to Reds teammate and incumbent No.7 Beau Robinson.

Robinson suffered a dislocated elbow in the Reds 17-16 victory over the Crusaders on Sunday at a sold-out Suncorp Stadium, which is expected to keep him sidelined for four to six weeks.

West Australian backrower Ted Postal will replace Gill in the Australian Under 20s squad, while Nucifora is still spoiled for choice with skipper Colby Fainga'a, Brumbies flanker Michael Hooper and Reds backrower Eddie Quirk all boasting Super Rugby experience at No.7.

Gill is the second Reds player released from Under 20s duty, following Dominic Shipperley’s withdrawal, also as cover for Queensland’s growing injury toll.

“We said when the squad was first selected that if injuries occurred at the Super Rugby level we would look at assisting the provinces by releasing players back to them from the Under 20s squad,” said ARU Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill.

“Clearly the Reds were in that situation following the unfortunate injury to Beau Robinson and we moved quickly to ensure that Liam Gill would return from Europe immediately.”

The Under 20s have set up camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Varese, Italy and will base themselves in Padova from 6 June ahead of the June 10-26 tournament.

The U20s squad features eight players who will return for a second tilt at the JWC title, keen to reverse the disappointment of finishing runners-up to three-time champions New Zealand 62-17 in Argentina last year.

Prop Paul Alo-Emile, hooker Siliva Siliva, second rows Greg Peterson and Luke Jones, flankers Colby Fainga'a and Ed Quirk, centre Kimami Sitauti all played in the final defeat, while Scott Sio is another from the 2010 squad who returns for a second shot at the title.

Australia has been drawn alongside Fiji, France and Tonga in Pool B.

In the last three years, 26 Australian U20 representatives have gone on to earn Super Rugby contracts, and from that group, 13 have gone on to represent the Qantas Wallabies.

New Zealand has won all three titles and not dropped a match since the JWC replaced the IRB's former age-grade tournaments, the Under 19 and Under 21 Championships in 2008.

Fox Sports will telecast Australia’s third pool match against France LIVE on Fox Sports 1 at 4am AEST and the semi-finals (Fox Sports 2 from 2am AEST) and finals LIVE on Fox Sports 3 from 1am AEST.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gill's return trip indicates the kerfuffle about players being absent from their Super teams because of Under 20 business to be bunk. They were always going to be available to come back home if their Super team didn't have a replacement for an injured player.

Sure Salvi is in not great form at the Brumbies but he is experienced and if he is injured I am sure that Hooper would be released also, (since Colby is the captain).

That is terrible news about young Aidan Toua, especially as I hear that he was in the form of his life for his club. My mail is that he was operated on this morning and is out for the rest of the season.

He has had to bear a lot of injuries but the outcome may not be as bad as we fear. He has injured his left knee which he hasn't injured before. After his right knee was operated on 2 years ago it came back stronger after the operation; so fingers crossed that the same will happen this time.

Good luck to the young man for a good recovery and rehabilitation.

T

TheTruth

poor bugger has been plagued with injury - hope he recovers quickly - he is such a talented young man

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
It will be a huge incentive for Gill, at his age to possibly get a run in the finals of a S15 comp. Plenty of players have never experienced that type of event (please no smartarse comments as to this being the first S15)

Status
Not open for further replies.