• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Don't where this thread is - maybe there isn't one yet. Has this been posted yet?

Queensland Reds lock down Van Humphries, Rob Simmons

* Jim Tucker
* March 23, 2010 11:00PM

AGELESS forward Van Humphries has backed his faith in the Reds becoming serious semi-final contenders by re-signing until beyond his 35th birthday.

The double dose of good news at lock is that improving young blood Rob Simmons, 21 last week, has committed to a new two-year deal.

Some certainty about the team's stocks in the engine room is timely considering the loss of hard-nosed lock Adam Byrnes to Melbourne Rebels.

"Van has plenty of petrol left in the tank," IMG client manager Richard Colreavy said yesterday when confirming Humphries had inked a one-year contract extension.

"He's enjoying the new environment at the Reds and taking on a leadership role."

The forward known as Benjamin Button to teammates because he seemingly gets better and more sprightly as the years advance will be a vital factor over the next three weekends.

Humphries' excellent work in winning possession at re-starts, his lineout prowess and game sense as a worker in the tight are essential to compete against powerful South African packs.

Humphries and Simmons are likely to be retained in the starting side, with Byrnes providing grunt off the bench, for the must-win clash against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein on Saturday morning (Qld time).

"The intention is definitely to win all three games on tour and I believe we can with minds and attitude for the job which is part of what's working in 2010," Humphries said.

"In recent years young guys heading to South Africa for the first time have had no precedent for knowing how to handle such a tour or opponents but they are now that bit more toughened to the business."

The Reds sit seventh with a 3-2 record but can really leap up the table by winning at least two of their tour games against the Cheetahs, Sharks and Lions, who all sit in the bottom four.

Humphries may turn 35 in January but he has relatively light kilometres on the clock because he's had the long, regenerating off-seasons that Wallabies never get.

"I don't really know if I have a secret to playing for so long ... young at heart, maybe?" said Humphries, who made his debut for Queensland a decade ago.

The 2m Simmons and NSW Waratahs eye-catcher Kane Douglas are among the new breed of young locks making a mark this season.

Simmons is of cattle farming stock from outside tiny Theodore and his recent answer to the question of his 2011 plans was refreshingly transparent with its loyalty.

"Mate, you don't get more Queensland than coming from central Queensland," Simmons said.

It has flowed into a two-year contract that stamps him as a long-term partner for James Horwill when the injured Wallaby returns in 2011.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
but should be here.

this was the other thing posted yesterday:

lDon't tell anyone, but backrower Scott Higginbotham has re-signed with the Queensland Reds.

It's meant to be a secret. Not only have the Reds deliberately not announced Higginbotham's re-signing, but they have told him not to tell anyone.

Why the secrecy is anyone's guess. Before the Reds departed for South Africa last Friday for a three-game tour, coach Ewen McKenzie revealed 22 players had committed to the team for next season.

The Reds did announce the re-signings of the Fainga'a twins, Anthony and Saia, but McKenzie said they would not announce any further names because they wanted to focus on the "here and now" rather than 2011.

McKenzie's coyness has puzzled observers. The Brumbies and NSW Waratahs are announcing re-signings almost on a daily basis.

After so many woeful seasons, if the Reds had some good news to tell, you would think they would be screaming it from the rooftops.

very strange. Can't understand it all really.
Are the Reds planning a big signing announcement as in all 20 or something?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I heard an Explanations that makes sense.

It take the spotlight off the players who haven't signed. If say 3 guys haven't signed and you announce everyone who has, Where do the Media head?

G

Geeves

The issues surrounding the resigning of players was well covered last night in the Rugby Club last night. The big sticking point is the ARU top-ups. With the wallabies having 5 less tests next year they are cutting into the players budget fairly hard. I think there are numerous players delaying the pen to paper routine until they squeeze the last dollar out of the shrinking pool. While the expectation from the ARU that everyone wants to play in the world cup might backfire as a several players will heading north sooner rather than latter. As per McMeniman from the Reds last year heading to yen country.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
How do they have 5 less tests if you include the world cup? And don't they get additional payments for world cup success?

G

Geeves

Scotty said:
How do they have 5 less tests if you include the world cup? And don't they get additional payments for world cup success?

It would be the revenue ARU generates at the domestic tests. Player payments for games is a separate issue.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I believe Hugh would of made his decision for personal reasons after the passing of his father.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Geeves said:
Scotty said:

It would be the revenue ARU generates at the domestic tests. Player payments for games is a separate issue.

Ah, so not five less wallaby games, rather five less wallaby home games. While there is no doubt that less home games will dent the ARU's revenue, I doubt it will directly affect the players.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
As per McMeniman from the Reds last year heading to yen country.

Well the rumour is he'll be back for the super 15 most likely as a Rebel but we'll take him back at the Reds.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Scotty said:
Geeves said:
Scotty said:

Ah, so not five less wallaby games, rather five less wallaby home games. While there is no doubt that less home games will dent the ARU's revenue, I doubt it will directly affect the players.

Still don't understand. The Wallabies go on an EOYT which is about 5 games and is obviously away games. The WC just replaces this. Should be no different from a normal year really.

T

tranquility

As a Reds supported i would LOVE to have MMM on the books again.

T

TOCC

Noddy said:
but should be here.

this was the other thing posted yesterday:

lDon't tell anyone, but backrower Scott Higginbotham has re-signed with the Queensland Reds.

It's meant to be a secret. Not only have the Reds deliberately not announced Higginbotham's re-signing, but they have told him not to tell anyone.

Why the secrecy is anyone's guess. Before the Reds departed for South Africa last Friday for a three-game tour, coach Ewen McKenzie revealed 22 players had committed to the team for next season.

The Reds did announce the re-signings of the Fainga'a twins, Anthony and Saia, but McKenzie said they would not announce any further names because they wanted to focus on the "here and now" rather than 2011.

McKenzie's coyness has puzzled observers. The Brumbies and NSW Waratahs are announcing re-signings almost on a daily basis.

After so many woeful seasons, if the Reds had some good news to tell, you would think they would be screaming it from the rooftops.

very strange. Can't understand it all really.
Are the Reds planning a big signing announcement as in all 20 or something?

I was thinking about this the other day, i have a theory that it has to do with thwarting any poaching raids from the Rebels..

Say for example the Rebels were chasing Higginbotham, Shatz, Shaw, Gill etc.. QLD want to keep all 4 of these players, if QLD were to announce that Higgers and Shatz had re-signed then the Rebels would intensify the chase for Gill and Shaw.

NSW and the ACT have less players off contract so they dont have quite the same juggling act to do, but for QLD it could be a good thing, as long as morale stays high in the team there is no need to announce the re-signing of players.

T

tranquility

tocc you are a genius. if this is the case then i love link just that little bit more.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
tranquility said:
As a Reds supported i would LOVE to have MMM on the books again.
I suspect many other teams' supporters would love to see him on the Reds roster - 1 less player to worry about as he hobbles about on the injury list with his latest misfortune.
Great talent, poor protoplasm unfortunately.
Maybe the stint in Japan has hardened him?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well its no secret now:

The QR Reds have confirmed the re-signing of three more core members of their forward pack in powerhouse backrower Scott Higginbotham and locks Van Humphries and Robert Simmons.

Higginbotham, 23 and Simmons, 22 next month, have rec-committed to the Reds through to 2012, while experienced lineout general Humphries extended his contract to 2011.

Higginbotham has been in excellent form for the Reds this season at No 8 and blindside flanker, both in defence and attack. He scored two tries for the Reds in their last match, the 50-10 demolition of the Western Force and has lifted his workrate and effectiveness in defence.

Simmons joined the senior Reds squad from the QAS Reds Academy in 2008 and made his debut off the bench last year in South Africa.

He made his starting debut against the Western Force in Round 5 this year and sufficiently impressed coaching staff to retain the No 4 jersey for this week's South African match against the Cheetahs.

Humphries, 34, is on his third stint with the Reds after making his state debut 10 years ago. He played two seasons for the Waratahs in 2002-3 before returning in 2004. He spent time in Europe and Japan before returning to Queensland at the start of the 2008 season.

He has played some of his best rugby this year, stepping up with on and off-field leadership when captain and lock partner James Horwill suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Head Coach Ewen McKenzie said all three were integral to his plans for the Reds and were priority signings for 2011 and beyond in the case of Simmons and Higginbotham.

"Van has been great for the team this year. He sets a good example for the younger players because he shows the way with his professional preparation and consistent performance, while being as enthusiastic and committed as any member of the squad."

McKenzie said Simmons would benefit greatly from playing alongside Humphries for another season.

"Simmo is starting to hit his straps this year. We like what he offers in the lineout and as he matures he is making more use of his size and strength around the field."

Higginbotham has grown in confidence under McKenzie's direction and has been a revelation this year following an intensive off-season training regime.

"Higgers has really worked on his defence and his fitness this year and it's benefited his performance and the team's. He has the speed, size and strength to take his game to Wallaby level if he continues to work hard and perform consistently on the field," McKenzie said.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good signings for the Reds.
Van brings some great experience, and the 2 youngsters have big potential.

T

TOCC

so based on the team sheet to play the Cheetahs, red coloured names are the ones who have re-signed for 2011, black names are off contract

15. Peter Hynes *waiting on ARU top up
14. Luke Morahan
13. Digby Ioane
12. Anthony Fainga'a

11. Brando Va'aulu off contract
10. Quade Cooper *waiting on ARU top up
9. Will Genia (capt)
8. Leroy Houston

7. Jake Schatz off contract
6. Scott Higginbotham
5. Van Humphries
4. Rob Simmons

3. Laurie Weeks Rebels
2. Saia Fainga'a
1. Ben Daley off contract

Reserves:
16. Sean Hardman probably retiring
17. Greg Holmes
18. Adam Byrnes Rebels
19. Ezra Taylor oFF (Folau Fainga'a)-contract
20. Ben Lucas off-contract
21. Will Chambers
22. Rod Davies rumoured to have re-signed

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Brando is definitely playing for a new contract...perhaps one of the reasons why he is still starting.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I spoke to Brando a couple of years ago just after he signed his last contract and he told me he was keen to go to Japan. I guess alot can happen in 2 years but I wouldn't be surprised if he left. Also I think he is playing alot better than he is given credit for. If he didn't make that tackle against the Chiefs that he go carded for then they score and the game is lost. I would be happy to see him at Ballymore for a couple more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.