• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Redsfan

There were rumours at the start of this year that Quade would go west to be with Rabbit weren't there? This is probably just a re-hash of those rumours, Quade would be fairly silly to leave the Reds right now.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I would be very surprised if he jumps ship, even more so then when Berrick did.

I think it's more of a case of: Force need a flyhalf, Cooper is off contract, hang on there is a news storey here!

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Cooper is going nowhere.
He has plenty of mates in Brisbane both inside and outside the Reds.
The jurno that wrote that rubbish is just looking to get his name in print.
Biggest load of crap I have read so far about Quade.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
if he gets day release from jail he will have to play for QLD as the travelling would be too far.

On a serious note along the same lines, can you move interstate while on probation or a suspended sentence?

T

TOCC

i wonder if there are any grounds to the rumour that Turinui is eager to move to Europe ASAP

M

Mullsey

Don't know how much truth this holds. Just as much as the recent article i suppose.

Berrick Barnes no Melbourne Rebel but Quade Cooper to stay a Queensland Red
Bret Harris From: The Australian March 09, 2010 12:00AM

BERRICK Barnes has rejected an approach from the Melbourne Rebels and will remain with the NSW Waratahs in the expanded Super 15 series next year, while Quade Cooper is expected to turn down an offer from the Western Force to stay with the Queensland Reds.

Barnes, who joined the Waratahs this year after becoming disillusioned with the Reds, only wanted to extend his deal by one year, raising the possibility he will pursue his career overseas after the 2011 World Cup.

"At the end of the day it's the best decision for me going forward," Barnes said yesterday.

"I've enjoyed the team culture we've had here. I get on really well with a number of the boys. I've found it easy to settle my life here. I've got a place here. I'll be studying soon and that excites me. That's another challenge."

It is understood Barnes accepted substantially less money to stay with the Waratahs.

"I made it (decision) over the weekend," Barnes said. "Sunday I did the necessary phone calls. I'm happy with the decision.

"The Rebels are going to be an exciting prospect next year. They've got good guys running their set-up in Rod Macqueen and Brian Waldron. I have no doubt they are going to sign some big name players."

The Rebels are chasing Waratahs forwards Benn Robinson and Wycliff Palu as well as five-eighth Daniel Halangahu.

Barnes' decision to stay in Sydney means the Rebels will go even harder for Halangahu, especially as another five-eighth target, Matt To'omua, is set to re-comit to the Brumbies.

But Halangahu has indicated his preference is to stay in Sydney.

Robinson and Palu are expected to stay in Sydney, but Palu is seriously considering an offer from overseas. It is understood Palu is seeking a one-year contract with the ARU which would enable him to play in the World Cup and then join a European or Japanese club.

There were high expectations of the Waratahs when Barnes joined the team, but they have only won two of their first four games, struggling to beat the winless Sharks 25-21 in Sydney last Saturday night.

"I'm excited where we are going as a team," Barnes said. "There are a few critics out there at the moment, the way we are playing and stuff like that.

"We are two from four . . . this is a place with a culture of winning. When you are not, people are going to have stuff to say.

"We have a strong core group of players here. We are confident in the direction we are heading. We just have to get everybody else on board, don't we?"

Ironically, Barnes' move to the Waratahs will probably ensure Cooper remains with the Reds. Cooper was believed to be keen to join his friends James O'Connor and David Pocock at the Force, but his circumstances have changed.

Cooper shared the playmaking responsibilities with Barnes at the Reds, but he is now relishing the opportunity to direct the team on his own.

He is also grateful to the Reds for the support the team showed to him during his off-field court drama in the off-season.

O'Connor was excited about the possibility of Cooper joining the Force, but he was not holding out much hope.

"It would be awesome to have him here in Perth, but I think he is pretty settled at the Reds," he said.

"Talking to him, he's really enjoying playing outside Will Genia and look at how well they are playing. He and Will are an awesome combination. They are killing them."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Straight-Talking former Wallaby Sam Scott-Young is ready to invest $1 million in to Queensland Reds if their form surge on the field is backed up by reform in the boardroom.
The staggering plan to put his money where his mouth is as a part-owner is far more than one-eyed passion for the state jersey he wore 81 times in the 1980s and '90s.

"Footy is business and it has to be run that way," said Scott-Young, a self-made success story who has built his wealth through selling orthopedic products.

"It's exciting that the Reds are finally on the rise.

"The way I see it, winning, more bums on seats, selling the brand, bringing in sponsorship and a shake-up of ideas is very feasible to give an investor a return.

"Yep, one million . . . that's the amount I'm prepared to invest and it may be a year from now when the right changes are ironed out to make it a goer."

Scott-Young has handed $50 to Queensland Rugby Union chairman Rod McCall as a token so that when it is time to talk seriously, they will.

His seven-figure offer is not a bailout for the cash-strapped QRU, which on April 17 will declare a heavy net trading loss for 2009.

It's backing for the fresh start he hopes is coming and the one-time backrower known for his abrasive, up-front streak is no less when he spells out what has to change.

"There has to be a clean-up, constitutional change and maybe it has taken hitting rock bottom for Queensland rugby to see that," he said.

Scott-Young said he saw only benefits in the running of Queensland rugby being overhauled by a rescue package from the Australian Rugby Union and implemented by a five-man committee, involving McCall, former chairman Dick McGruther and ARU boss John O'Neill.

"The Reds need to be separated from the QRU as an entity, have their own, small board where the buck stops and a real business model," he said.

Scott-Young's aims are holistic as well.

"You don't want a team of dumb bums," he said.

"I'm a big advocate of players being mentored by business people, studying and using their spare time far better."

Scott-Young is a strong advocate of the transformation being charted on the field by coach Ewen McKenzie and the sizzle of halfback-captain Will Genia.

Genia won't get everything his own way in Durban on Sunday morning (Queensland time) when the Sharks are expected to swarm at the Reds with a physical forward assault.

It is one reason lock Adam Byrnes, the side's most abrasive forward, is set to return to the Reds pack.

"We're definitely considering him because his style will be useful for the thrust and parry of a physical match like this," McKenzie said.

Flanker Daniel Braid, fit again after knee ligament trouble, will be a big asset.

T

tranquility

look at this animal

Hong+Kong+IRB+Sevens+Day+2+5U1g-FXnJQel.jpg

Hong+Kong+IRB+Sevens+Day+2+f9D6AY9d2w-l.jpg

Hong+Kong+IRB+Sevens+Day+2+AXE9qEl7I-gl.jpg

Hong+Kong+IRB+Sevens+Day+2+WGpEFRZnC-ml.jpg

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Photo 1: Head on the wrong side
Photo 2: Ineffective tackle.

I'm sure Tranquility is just letting us know that the Reds accademy coaches have some work to do.

:lmao:

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hawko said:
Photo 1: Head on the wrong side
Photo 2: Ineffective tackle.

I'm sure Tranquility is just letting us know that the Reds accademy coaches have some work to do.

:lmao:

Now that isn't fair. 7s is very much a "get them down however you can" game.

This being said I'm not sure about him being an "animal". Nice photography though.

T

TOCC

Liam Gill, the 17yr old who just signed with the Reds for 2011

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
To be fair, Gill did play like a bit of an animal in Hong Kong. Really threw his body around and was heavily involved, particularly in defence.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Gill is our long term open side option. Don't expect him to make an impact in Super rugby for a year or 2 if not longer.

T

tranquility

you guys all take yourselves way too seriously.. he was an 'animal' because of the way he was throwing himself into contact in all of those photos.

of course his head was in the wrong place, im sure he as the Australian schoolboy captain knows as well as anyone the correct way to make a copybook tackle - but the photo represents the desperation in the tackle, and the nature of 7s as a game environment.

oh yeah, and I love the political correctness of "we can't expect too much too soon, he is only young". this forum is not a PR company for the Reds militia, it is a bit of fun.

Liam is actually a GT boy and was in a good mate of mines grade, im sure he would find all of this very amusing.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Queensland is really slumming it. Pining your hopes on a teenager just out of diapers ? Lee Grant has a lot to answer for.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Been on leave Naza? Welcome back, and a lovely entree.

Quite right in your comments, why the hell are we pinning our hopes on a 17 year old? However, Lee has nothing to answer for if you bothered to read all the threads.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah welcome back naz.

I know you're just chirping and I shouldn't be precious but a few other people have chipped me about overstating the case of schoolboy players.

I said that Gill had star quality and the heart of a lion. I added: though he is only 86kgs now he could play for the Reds someday because other light guys like Keegan Daniel have played in Super rugby as opensides. I also mentioned that unless he can pack on some pork his lightness may hold him back from going further than that.

But because I am sometimes the one who mentions a young fellow first, what I say is often mixed up with what journos say months later when they see them after they leave school.

It was the same with Beale. I said he was the best schoolboy player I ever saw, which is still true, and that he would be a Wallaby one day. But people often remember the overblown journo hype about him and have a go at me, though they never quote me, as it would be an inconvenient truth. I understand them: people get disappointed in young players that are over-hyped and forget they are little more than kids, not the saviours they were looking for.

I said similar things about a schoolboy called Quade Cooper. Even though he had a poor tournament in 2006 you could see the quality.

For the record: the 2009 schoolboy players I mentioned for Super honours from the national tournament were: Lock/6/8 Luke Jones; Lock Greg Peterson; 3. PAE; 11 Kimami Sitauti; 14. Chris Feauai; 15 Jake Woodhouse and 7 Liam Gill. IIRR I said 9. Nick Stirzacker had a show too. I'd even have a punt on lock Curtis Browning who, like Feauai, has another year at school, and will probably play 8 as a senior.

I also said that 7. Gill and 7. Hooper (who I saw in the 2008 tournament, but missed 2009 because of a shoulder reconstruction) would be pushing Pocock for the Oz 7 jersey after the 2011 RWC if they became big enough men.

You can quote me on all of that naz.

Status
Not open for further replies.