• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chief

Gill has super 14 potential. He has the heart to play there, he isn't afraid to take on anyone, you saw it in the kiwi's schoolboys game, he was the Australian contest at the ruck. He kept them within the game, they had a great front row, but everyone else seemed a bit off.

Browning still has two years left at school. Kimami Situati is not a 15 man game player, maybe more time with Link will hopefully sort him out, as he certainly has the potential to be a fantastic winger. Sautia or Feuatui is someone which I think we should watch for the future. Even a possible Rebels contract, I think he has the potential to come straight from school to Premier Grade and dominate in it, similar to Edward Quirk (obviously different positions)

Good prediction on Peterseon or was it Jones that made there super rugby debut. Having not seen Hooper play much rugby, and seeing Gill. If Gill beefs up, I side with Lee once again in saying that Gill will be able to push Pocock for the Wallabies Jersey one day.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
chief,

Can you edit the 2nd paragraph as I didn't understand it.

Your unfavourable opinion of Situati is well known: you say it every time I mention his name. As you know: I always respond that he was a greedy sod at the 2009 national championships but before you could say this to the bloke sitting next to you, his team mates were slapping him on the back because he had scored a try.

I also always mention that at least the raw material is there and that he should improve in a professional environment. He's in the Reds Academy now and I'll back them to get that greediness out of his play. Yes, I was at Riverview.

Should I copy this so that I can paste it the next time you respond about him?

Incidentally, Sautia has changed his name to Feauai.

It is Luke Jones that has been on the park for the Force but he is going to Melbourne next year. He could be another 3M in a few years time - watch this space.

Peterson is in the Tahs professional Academy and has played a bit for the Junior Waratahs recently, but didn't get much time as Thompson and Sigg got most of it. He plays his first senior game on Saturday for Manly. I hope he can take his game to the senior level. In particular I hope that he can play with some physicality against the old hard heads and not become another vanilla Phil Mathers type.

Hooper started instead of the injured George Smith against the Chiefs and will do so again against the Cheetahs on Saturday.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Do it all the time - not through stupidity, but by thinking too fast for the fingers.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
On The Rugby Club it was just said the the Force have put in a huge money offer for Quade Cooper from third party sponsorships and some Force insiders think that it is a done deal. General consensus from the panel is that he'd be silly to leave the Reds for the Force due to the combinations at the Reds and the way the Reds have been looking after Cooper.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He would be mad to go. Qld has the structure to get the best out of him at the moment. I hope someone close to Quade has his ear, and reminds him that if he can continue to develop as a rugby player as he has this year, he could be the Aus #10 for years, and the money will come. Going west for more coin could be a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Who even knows who will be coaching them in 2011, let alone thereafter.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Not only that, but whose to say it won't just be another bunged up Firepower-esque type deal. If he has a big season with the Wallabies, the money will come.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
As much as I want him in Red for the next 12 years or so, I did not really understand the logic on TV tonight, they said he should look for the money in his next contract and stick with the reds for this one.

Why shouldn't he take 2 good contracts in a row? He will still be able to play for the Wallabies from Perth! He is a proffesional and plays for money so he might as well take it, you never know when an injury is around the corner.

Quade if you are reading this please stay!!!!!!!

I would like to see the ARU step in and tell him to stay based on his "off field rehabilitation" program which seems to be working, is he and the Wallabies really best served by him meeting up with his food fighting buddies?

As I have said before, why dont the reds try to woo Pocock and O'Connor back home?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I know Cooper loves the Reds, and would obviously prefer to stay at the Reds. But if you are a 22 year old, and being offered what obviously sounds like a million dollar contract, you would be daft not to take it, and this is just a fact of professional sport that as fans we have to deal with.

Having said that, QLD might have coped with losing Barnes, but the won't cope with losing Cooper, especially with all the young flyhalves around the coast already signed up to their respective provinces.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, Liquor box, it's professional, and he may choose the best contract, and could still play for the Wallabies from Perth. But Qld is on the up, the Force...who knows. Also, I think the key for Quade is staying on the straight and narrow, and a guy like Link is more likely to do that. Also, why would you pass up playing with Genia, Digby et al? As I said, if he cements an Oz position, the increased money in the next year or two out west would be recouped down the track. But if he fucks up all the ForcePower money won't mean a thing...it'll be in someone else's pocket.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think his play may regress a touch if he heads west:

1. No Genia inside him
2. Trying to do too much himself
3. Hanging around with the likes of O'Connor might not be the best (although I doubt you could say that about Pocock)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sam Scott-Young sees the Reds as a Good investment. Keeping Cooper is a good investment if you want a team that is playing attractive, winning rugby to put bumbs on seats. Those who were talking of investing in the Reds, it is time to walk the walk. If anybody mentions Gasnier befor we get Quade to re sign should be shot.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
To move to Perth there has to be more than money on the table and hanging out with Mates.
As Mitchell is to move on at the end of the year does Cooper know who the replacement coach is going to be?
Is he looking to reunite with his old mentor whom was sacked at the end of last season?

By all accounts Cooper has gone and the search for a replacement has started.

T

TOCC

Lion said:
To move to Perth there has to be more than money on the table and hanging out with Mates.
As Mitchell is to move on at the end of the year does Cooper know who the replacement coach is going to be?
Is he looking to reunite with his old mentor whom was sacked at the end of last season?

By all accounts Cooper has gone and the search for a replacement has started.

by all accounts????

which accounts are they??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
once again, I would be Fucking devestated if he left. Mostly because I see no reason too. Money can not be the only reason these people make these decisions. Diggers must be in his ear just saying "mate, I did it and I hated it".

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Exactly how long do we have to put up with the fuckin WA pricks trying to steal our players! It's not a Pro game for me and I'm sick of it!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah there is a reason Gits, Drew and Diggers left. Why would you leave a team on the up for a team with a questionable future. What is his manager doing?? If he stays at the Reds and cements a spot in the Wallabies he will make money off sponsors by himself. If he goes the the Farce then I will lose all respect I have for him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it would be a feeling of disbelief and disappointment if Cooper left the Reds. I think he would regress at the Force in terms of playing as well. At the Reds he has a really great balance in the inside backs with Genia and Fainga'a, plus Ioane and Hynes around him and he's developing a good understanding with Davies. And then there's the lack of a coach for 2010 and the dodgy situation of a lame duck coach in 2011 who is unlikely to finish the season. If Cooper wants the starting 10 position at the 2011 World Cup then going to the Force is a massive risk.

Noddy, money can be the only reason surely. If he's offered an insane million dollar contract by the Force, then that's a lot of overriding dollars doing the talking.

But on the other hand a part of me is pissed off that the Force still won't learn. They are still looking to throw oodles of dollars at one or two players they think can buy them a finals berth. As long as they continue in that mould they will stay in the bottom half of the table. They need to keep looking for and trying to develop another Pocock who will be loyal to the club instead of paying over the odds for a Giteau or Mitchell (or likley Cooper) only to watch then leave when the big dollars dry up.

Status
Not open for further replies.