• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Jets said:
I spoke to Brando a couple of years ago just after he signed his last contract and he told me he was keen to go to Japan. I guess alot can happen in 2 years but I wouldn't be surprised if he left. Also I think he is playing alot better than he is given credit for. If he didn't make that tackle against the Chiefs that he go carded for then they score and the game is lost. I would be happy to see him at Ballymore for a couple more years.

Yeh mate he is a good defender, and chases the ball well, but he lacks the confidence to inject himself into a game. Instead he would rather wait for his inside men to do that job. Shy fella. Wingers are never a problem in Aus rugby, there is always another freak youngster coming off the production line.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So we are judging his worth by the fact he didn't make a mistake in one particularly defensive instance? (Well actually he did make a mistake, and got sent off for it).

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Well I'm not.

I wish some big names from other states would come to the Reds, or at least ex-Reds return. I'm hoping a return to winning form will help us bring in some big names. Just 1 or 2 would suffice.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Reddy! said:
Well I'm not.

I wish some big names from other states would come to the Reds, or at least ex-Reds return. I'm hoping a return to winning form will help us bring in some big names. Just 1 or 2 would suffice.

would rather see them retain what they have got and keep building.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Pocock would be the only big name they really need to get. And maybe a tight head prop.

T

tranquility

PAE is the only tight head we need.

It is a great shame about Weeks, and I am going to find it very hard to hate him when he starts making diving tackles and bollocking runs against the Cheetahs tonight. But I will try my best.

The Reds have a riciulous amount of potential props in the books, Slipper, PAE, Albert Anae + the contracted ones. We really just need one to step up over the next 18months and we won't be in bad shape.

As far as Pocock - he would be exactly what we need as we don't really have a 7 backup plan for Braid. I didn't think he would ever leave the Force, but it is looking pretty grim over there so who knows. However his little brother is in the Force academy and he is the future captain, so I would still say the likelihood of hm coming home is remote.

The worst loss in QLD rugby history.

T

TOCC

Good signing :thumb

PROMISING flanker Liam Gill has been snapped up on a Reds contract at 17 so Queensland rugby does not grimace through the loss of another gem like Dave Pocock.
Gill is so young he has needed a special dispensation to play with the Australian sevens side in Las Vegas, Adelaide and Hong Kong over the past six weeks.

Displays like his skilful efforts in front of 40,000 fans on finals day in Hong Kong last Sunday have quickly hinted he has the polish and poise for far bigger things.

"When I rang Liam's father to tell him of his call-up for Las Vegas last month, he thought it was a hoax call," Australian sevens coach Michael O'Connor said. "But he was on the plane the same day and hasn't looked back

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...lanker-liam-gill/story-e6frep5o-1225847731504

This is a bit of a nothing article

MINING magnate Kevin Maloney may help Queensland secure rugby league convert Mark Gasnier with a third-party sponsorship.

However, the Reds are in real danger of losing star five-eighth Quade Cooper to Western Force.

Gasnier, who is coming off contract at French club Stade Francais, is being chased by the Reds and Super 15 expansion franchise Melbourne Rebels.

Maloney had backed the VicSuper15 consortium which was provisionally offered the Melbourne licence, but withdrew after a disagreement with the ARU on the ownership model.

The licence went to the bid headed by media magnate Harold Mitchell instead.

Maloney's company The Mac Services Group does a lot of business in the Queensland mining industry and he has already lent his financial support to the Reds' coaching staff headed by Ewen McKenzie.

There is speculation Maloney will provide Gasnier with a third-party endorsement if he agrees to play club rugby for Southern Districts in Sydney.

"One of my companies which is based in Queensland has a small sponsorship with the Reds," Maloney said.

"If I was asked to provide a third-party deal (for Gasnier), I probably would.

"I'm tied up with Southern Districts and Mark Gasnier (a former St George Illawarra Dragon NRL star) comes from that area.

"If he wanted to play a few games down there, I'd look at it. If not, I wouldn't enter into it."

Maloney also revealed he would consider becoming a private owner of the financially-troubled Reds, who have been bailed out by the ARU.

But he did not think the Reds were ready to embrace a private ownership model.

"I looked at that with Melbourne," he said.

"It was hard to get there and I lost interest.

"The ARU has a desire to privatise all of the franchises, but I don't think it's on top of the QRU's agenda.

"They have a very good chairman in Rod McCall, who will get them back on the right track.

"It's like any investment, you look at the structure and who's involved. John O'Neill (ARU chief executive) recently said investing in a rugby union team was like going to the races, but you can't find anything more speculative than the mining industry."

Meanwhile, there was strong speculation yesterday that Cooper would leave the Reds to join his close friends David Pocock and James O'Connor at the Force.

Cooper's management said he would not make a decision on his future until he had renegotiated his contract with the ARU, which will delay offering him a top-up until after his court case on a burglary charge is heard in July.

He is also considering a lucrative offer from a leading French club.

Pocock and O'Connor are believed to be urging Western Force to sign Cooper, who would solve its five-eighth problem.

When Wallabies five-eighth Matt Giteau left Perth to return home to Canberra this year, the Force recruited South African Andre Pretorius and when he broke down they picked up New Zealander David Hill.

With Cooper at five-eighth, the Force could sign a foreign hooker, which is an area of need for the team.

The winless Force will be boosted by the return of Pocock (finger injury) and prop Matt Dunning (concussion) for its match with the Stormers in Perth on Friday night, while outside back Scott Staniforth has been given a clearance to play the rest of the season after completing a short-term contract.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-reds-gains-legs/story-e6frg7ox-1225847702295

C

chief

I can see Cooper royally fucking up the Reds for 2011, because we won't be able to re sign him until July after Toomoua has been signed. FFS let's just sign Toomoua.

T

TOCC

the article says there is speculation, but you have to wonder what the speculation is based on

lets look at the facts:

Reds stood by Cooper through some pretty rough times
Reds have the best halfback in the country, Force have Brett Sheehan
Reds have a 4-2 win ration for 2010, Force have 0-6
Reds have a coached signed for 2 more years, Force have a coach leaving at the end of 2011 if not earlier

Yeah i understand that Quade has some friends over in Perth in James O'Connor and David Pocock, but surely he also has some pretty good friends at the Reds as well.

You would think that the Force might be a bit more wary to signing a prima donna 5/8 after the Matt Giteau saga

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:
If Cooper leaves he will be the most hated (by Qlders) ex Reds player ever. Period.

agree. I honestly can not fathom how he could leave. Yeah, ok for France yes, but for the Force or any other domestic side?

I guess there are always factors we don't know about. Perhaps he needs to get away from Geoff Abram and his henchmen. But still....remember this Quade??

quade-cooper200-200x0.jpg

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He would be 100% out of his mind to leave, unless money ends up making his decision.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'd take the Brett Harris article and it's reference to Cooper with a grain of salt. If Wayne Smith had written it and used stronger words than "speculation" I might have given it more credence.

Good news about Liam Gill as it indicates that the Reds think that the 86kgs, slim schoolboy star can be bulked up enough to play pro rugby at 7 down the track. If folks have seen him play in the LV and HK 7s and thought he could play a bit, they ain't seen nothing yet. He is a tad useful in the 15 man game as well.

Definitely, watch this space.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the Reds should do their best to get Pocock and O'connor, this will in turn allow them to keep Cooper

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Pocock is off contrast but I think his little Brother is also over there. So he really has a reason to stay. although we have bought other Brothers and that seemed to work out OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.