• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For clarity,it is hear say, and I believe that the players that left were probably fringe first graders and not in the initial firsts squad that was chosen and they did not go to SS teams.
I understood that the 'selling' of the licenced club allowed all debts to be settled.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
For clarity,it is hear say, and I believe that the players that left were probably fringe first graders and not in the initial firsts squad that was chosen and they did not go to SS teams.
I understood that the 'selling' of the licenced club allowed all debts to be settled.

Yep Sid, that's my understanding as well, including the monies loaned from the trust fund established from the sale of the apartments build on top of the licenced club.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Didn't know that he went to Waverley. Expectations are dependent on many factors. How's his rape charge going?
Torn Hammy - that is very rough and actually defamatory. I have no connection with the Kid and don't know anything about the alleged charges however ask - do we really have to go there in a forum about Shute Shield Rugby? Please could you leave the poor bugger alone if that is the case?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Torn Hammy - that is very rough and actually defamatory. I have no connection with the Kid and don't know anything about the alleged charges however ask - do we really have to go there in a forum about Shute Shield Rugby? Please could you leave the poor bugger alone if that is the case?

Please reread. I was referring to Chris Rock.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
OK, sorry to all involved I never had the intention of causing such upset on this forum.
I was not bringing his integrity as an individual on or off the park into question, nor was I saying he was dirty player. Off the ball cr@p may have inferred this but it was not what I meant. Petty niggle is what I said and meant, certainly not anything worth getting a yellow for and nothing to get worked up over.
I was simply suggesting that, in my humble opinion, he would be a better player if he got to the next breakdown slightly quicker rather than partaking in such niggle (again not cheating, maiming his opposition number or killing children in the stands).
I did mean continuously as I feel he does this during the whole game rather than continually which would on and off during the game and would not bother me - it is my opinion that he gets involved in petty niggle during the whole game and this lessens his effectiveness and impact during a game. Its certainly a forwards job to be involved in a certain amount of niggle and all I was suggesting was he gets involved in too much during a game.
Once again sorry if I upset anyone.

I think the air has been cleared with Gunner's explanation. I was probably not the only one who misinterpreted what he meant. Could I make a couple of observations?

Firstly, in its last three matches Uni has returned to its traditional style which I labelled "physical imposition" some years back. It takes advantage of the type of training that they do and the fact that most of their players have been together for years and are thus able to play a very structured and cohesive game. In order to combat that style the opposition has to be prepared to play in a similarly confrontational style. Consequently, as in the last match against Gordon, there is likely to be "a certain amount of niggle".

A other somewhat related point is that scrummaging and in particular front row play is in fact a game within a game. There is a long tradition of front rowers pausing briefly after a scrum to exchange pleasantries. If Gunner's observation of Sam Talakai is correct it may be a sign that he is maturing as a prop. When I coached Uni First Colts 24 years ago I would gladly have swapped a couple of the well-brought-up ex-private-schoolboys in my team for some of the brickie's labourers they played against.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep Sid, that's my understanding as well, including the monies loaned from the trust fund established from the sale of the apartments build on top of the licenced club.
Players who have left for Balmain have been: Sam Latu before the first game who trained the pre season and was coming across to Rugby from Newtown. Finau Maka Maka (fringe first grader) - who could blame him supporting a young family an extra $400 a week makes a big difference and more recently Jack Little John seconds fullback also from newtown.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
So anyway back to this weekend's games? Thoughts people?

It will be very interesting to see KB (Kurtley Beale)'s performance for Randwick. Also, no Dave Harvey for the Rats, is he injured? I'd say without Harvey that's 5 points in the bag for the Woods. Manly at Southos is mouth watering, the Rebels will be keen to avoid 3 losses on the trot.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
So anyway back to this weekend's games? Thoughts people?

It will be very interesting to see KB (Kurtley Beale)'s performance for Randwick. Also, no Dave Harvey for the Rats, is he injured? I'd say without Harvey that's 5 points in the bag for the Woods. Manly at Southos is mouth watering, the Rebels will be keen to avoid 3 losses on the trot.

OK, I'll have a go as Tom W apparently knows what us punters want (to win and see less of him?):

Randwick to compete well but just get beaten by Uni's superior set plays (sob!)
Eastwood's loose forwards and outside backs to be too good and too fast for the Rats
Two Blues to run up > 50 points against Penrith
Souths and Manly to play out a nail biting draw
Norths to return to the winning list against West Harbour in a close one

Hope I'm wrong about at least one of these predictions!

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I know nothing of Penrith Rugby Club, as I have been interstate - but for what reasons is it apparently struggling? - (it must have done something to warrant it's initial inclusion)? Can someone provide a 'Quick Summary for Dummies'? (me)...

In past years, St George & Port Hacking were struggling clubs - look at them now! (I turned up to play St George one year, and ended up being asked to play FOR them, as they had too few players and would have had to forfeit - my blokes kicked the living shite out of me, my socks not withstanding)!

Parramatta went thru a bad time due to financials, but seems to have discovered it really does have a strong heart and strong culture... I also understand that some other teams have come and gone - such as Canberra Vikings and Illawarra?? - too far? not competitive? - what was the problem... The Shute Shield has seen alot of hard luck stories in it's time - and several big come backs, as well...

B

BellyTwoBlues

OK, I'll have a go as Tom W apparently knows what us punters want (to win and see less of him?):

Randwick to compete well but just get beaten by Uni's superior set plays (sob!)
Eastwood's loose forwards and outside backs to be too good and too fast for the Rats
Two Blues to run up > 50 points against Penrith
Souths and Manly to play out a nail biting draw
Norths to return to the winning list against West Harbour in a close one

Hope I'm wrong about at least one of these predictions!

It'll be way closer than that. Parra v Penrith games are always hard, tough, physical encounters. No matter how each other's season is going, and lets face it they have been very similar for a long time, there is always a LOT of feeling in these matches.

Last year's games was a high scoring encounter at Nepean and we got the chocolates that day and the return match at Merrylands was very tight. We also got the chocolates that day but only just.

In 2011 the game at Nepean was one of the best games of footy I've seen. Lots of tries, massive defence, end to end stuff. It was just a pity it only went for 80 minutes.

Whoever thinks one side will belt the other probably hasn't seen too many of these derby's.

It'll be a cracker of a day. We're looking forward to it and are certainly not taking them lightly.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Look for Penrith to notch their first win of the season.. after an off season player raid i think Sateki is doing well building a side off last years 1st colts and a mash up of decent players they have found and retained from last season, although they are not the side i follow i can understand the frustration they must have of building a 1st grade side only to have the side spread out over the rest of the shute shield the next season, Ricahard Aho and Toa Asa are classic examples.

After watching some of their 1st Colts games last year the talent out west is absolutely remarkable, Players such as Geroge Magalogo (20), Sione Fifita (20), James Umu (19), Adam Barrington (20), Campbelle Hislop (19) have all had first grade starts and although i haven't seen a Penrith game this year from all reports on handicap these boys are outstanding. Not to mention Lachlan Fox (20) who is yet to play a game this year through injury and sime moelasi (17) playing reserve grade, i expect Penrith to cause some major upsets this season and provided these young men arnt poached come the end of 2013 i can see a huge year for the emus in 2014.

you haven't seen a Penrith game at all..................we all believe you. Really we do.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am hoping , as an eternal optimist, that the Wicks hold the passes.If they do this they will win as long as Uni clear territory by kicking deep but not out.
Set piece Wicks will struggle.

Parra over Penrith
Manly over Souths
Wests over Norths

I love the underdog

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Uni to beat Randwick.
Souths to edge out Manly
Norths to beat Wests
Eastwood to defeat Warringah
Parra to beat Penrith in a banana skin game.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
haha screwed that one up a bit didnt you. i was merely suggesting that it is expected of you in a game of rugby not to be carded

No, you used the literary technique of using an abusive quote to berate me and my defense of Sam and you pretend innocence. I took offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.