• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Look for Penrith to notch their first win of the season.. after an off season player raid i think Sateki is doing well building a side off last years 1st colts and a mash up of decent players they have found and retained from last season, although they are not the side i follow i can understand the frustration they must have of building a 1st grade side only to have the side spread out over the rest of the shute shield the next season, Ricahard Aho and Toa Asa are classic examples.

After watching some of their 1st Colts games last year the talent out west is absolutely remarkable, Players such as Geroge Magalogo (20), Sione Fifita (20), James Umu (19), Adam Barrington (20), Campbelle Hislop (19) have all had first grade starts and although i haven't seen a Penrith game this year from all reports on handicap these boys are outstanding. Not to mention Lachlan Fox (20) who is yet to play a game this year through injury and sime moelasi (17) playing reserve grade, i expect Penrith to cause some major upsets this season and provided these young men arnt poached come the end of 2013 i can see a huge year for the emus in 2014.
hahah me thinks that the "Eastwood Supporter" is nothing but a front!

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm guessing you were not referring to Gibbo as a "wanker", and were referencing the poster on the previous page having a crack at Parra? I hope so.
In any event, best to not refer to other posters as wankers, else it might be misinterpreted! ;)
Fair call cyclopath I withdraw the remark, it was in appropriate on this august thread and I was certainly not referring to Gibbo - I'm not a 2 blues supporter but certainly love their work and like Gibbo I suspect , was echoing their frustration at the stupid post.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Cheers for the comments Hugh Jarse - I'm just trying to do my bit for the club.

The Galah - I've been a frum admin on bigger, uglier and rougher websites than GAGR in my day (try uselessjunk.org for an eye opener) so that didn't even register on the scale. I knew you weren't having a go at me.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Heavensgame can not afford to lose the foothold in Sydney's outer Inner Western Suburbs, despite the annual rumours of downsizing the Shute Shield.

Which are the outer inner western suburbs, Hugh? How do they differ from, for example, the inner outer western suburbs?

From my observations over many years, it takes local people to build a district club. If the good people of the Penriff district want to put their hands in their pockets and their shoulders to the wheel, no doubt sucess will come after a few years of hard work. "Success" meaning that they can put four senior teams and a couple of Colts onto the paddock every week, rain hail or shine.

Winning something takes more money and effort, and more years of growth.

andrew williams

Frank Row (1)
Which are the outer inner western suburbs, Hugh? How do they differ from, for example, the inner outer western suburbs?

From my observations over many years, it takes local people to build a district club. If the good people of the Penriff district want to put their hands in their pockets and their shoulders to the wheel, no doubt sucess will come after a few years of hard work. "Success" meaning that they can put four senior teams and a couple of Colts onto the paddock every week, rain hail or shine.

Winning something takes more money and effort, and more years of growth.
Well Parramatta and West Harbour are inner west and Penrith is outer west ? Inner and outer is based on there proximity to the sydney cbd, that's how I have always read it anyway,

It's a vicious circle out there unfortunately if they get a good side together and start to win the players are noticed and move to clubs with more money, to start to get local support they need to win games as finish higher on the table, not going to happen if they cannot get a consistent group of high quality players staying at the club for more then a season, it appears they have really got it together this year and are starting to build such a side as I have mentioned previously

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Well Parramatta and West Harbour are inner west and Penrith is outer west ? Inner and outer is based on there proximity to the sydney cbd, that's how I have always read it anyway,

It's a vicious circle out there unfortunately if they get a good side together and start to win the players are noticed and move to clubs with more money, to start to get local support they need to win games as finish higher on the table, not going to happen if they cannot get a consistent group of high quality players staying at the club for more then a season, it appears they have really got it together this year and are starting to build such a side as I have mentioned previously

New found sympathy for the west sir instead of malicious rumour ? So the Woodies would subscribe to the view that until it's as level a playing field as we can get they should not give up their advantage of being able to splash the cash?

andrew williams

Frank Row (1)
That's a tough call, the reason I was attracted to Eastwood was because of their success that has been compounded over the last 20 years because of the culture I have enjoyed at Eastwood. I feel that if a club has either developed or spent money bringing a player to Australia they are entitled to be reimbursed for that money by the club that's taking ye player on, for instance west harbour get a bloke from Auckland set him up with a place to live a job etc then sydney uni or even Eastwood decide he is brilliant we want him they should pay for the privilege. Is that not a fair thing ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Inner West, Outer Inner West names used to p!sstake those who's knowledge of Sydney geography is based around the Harbour Bridge being the start of the Western Suburbs.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Utter shite.

A little known fact is that as captain of Waverley College 1st XV, Sam led the team through a whole season without one yellow or red card. Given that Waverley probably average two yellows a game, your slur against Sam is just so inappropriate.

theres a great line by chris rock in one of his routines where a poor guy in the ghetto is bragging to chris about feeding his kids and looking after them "real good" to which chris replies "your supposed to do that you low expectational mother f%$ker" think the same principle applies here :D

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'm at a loss for words - almost. Sammy Talakai? "off the ball cr@p and the petty niggling that he continuously does during a game"!!

I have watched the young bloke since he came to Uni Colts and observed him very closely. The more so because I am so addicted to scrummaging that I watch scrums through binoculars: and I can honestly say that I have never noticed anything remotely in line with what Gunner is on about.

It seems odd that I have never heard any of the Uni players mention this aspect of his game.
he definatly was no angel in juniors, dunno what his like in seniors

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
he definatly was no angel in juniors, dunno what his like in seniors

I've watched him develop through all juniors and high school, definitely not the player made out to be. This topic has no relevance being discussed on this forum time to move on.

Thoughts on the games this weekend ?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I've watched him develop through all juniors and high school, definitely not the player made out to be. This topic has no relevance being discussed on this forum move on or post elsewhere.

Anyone have tips on the upcoming games this weekend ?

wasnt saying his a grubby player, just saying from my experience playing against him he didnt mind a bit of niggle etc

and im more than in my right to comment on it whenever i please thankyou very much, just because you've said/read all you want on the topic doesnt mean i have...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm at a loss for words - almost. Sammy Talakai? "off the ball cr@p and the petty niggling that he continuously does during a game"!!

I have watched the young bloke since he came to Uni Colts and observed him very closely. The more so because I am so addicted to scrummaging that I watch scrums through binoculars: and I can honestly say that I have never noticed anything remotely in line with what Gunner is on about.

It seems odd that I have never heard any of the Uni players mention this aspect of his game.
Is your inability to find words due to the use of "continuously" when the poster, hopefully, meant "continually"?
;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

The 2 front rowers who moved from Penrith to Randwick (Asa and Aho) didn't move for financial reasons as no player at Randwick is being paid a cent this year -- so we are told.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
That's a tough call, the reason I was attracted to Eastwood was because of their success that has been compounded over the last 20 years because of the culture I have enjoyed at Eastwood. I feel that if a club has either developed or spent money bringing a player to Australia they are entitled to be reimbursed for that money by the club that's taking ye player on, for instance west harbour get a bloke from Auckland set him up with a place to live a job etc then sydney uni or even Eastwood decide he is brilliant we want him they should pay for the privilege. Is that not a fair thing ?

It is a fair thing but I speak from the perspective of supporting a club that can afford to play the cash game (for now) .

No Randwick player being paid? Given the parlous state of its finances over recent years I'm prepared to accept that at face value given the proud well connected club it is ..... just .........particularly if the coach has been told that !

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
It is a fair thing but I speak from the perspective of supporting a club that can afford to play the cash game (for now) .

No Randwick player being paid? Given the parlous state of its finances over recent years I'm prepared to accept that at face value given the proud well connected club it is ... just ...particularly if the coach has been told that !

Galah, just to clarify my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong if someone knows better):
(1) It's the licenced club not the football club which has financial problems, the football club has lent money to the licenced club
(2) We are told that the coach told all the players at the beginning of the year that no player was going to be paid a cent this year and no players left. I believe this was a philosophical issue as much as a financial one.

I note Sid's post above which would seem to contradict the claim that nobody left. There's obviously been a big turnover of players with a lot of perrenial lower graders leaving / retiring and I assume some of them would have ended up in the subbies. Interesting that I have only been able to identify 1 player (Dom Bower to Souths) who has gone to another SS team and is playing. A couple of other names were mentioned but I haven't seen them appear of team sheets.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Is your inability to find words due to the use of "continuously" when the poster, hopefully, meant "continually"?
;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK, sorry to all involved I never had the intention of causing such upset on this forum.
I was not bringing his integrity as an individual on or off the park into question, nor was I saying he was dirty player. Off the ball cr@p may have inferred this but it was not what I meant. Petty niggle is what I said and meant, certainly not anything worth getting a yellow for and nothing to get worked up over.
I was simply suggesting that, in my humble opinion, he would be a better player if he got to the next breakdown slightly quicker rather than partaking in such niggle (again not cheating, maiming his opposition number or killing children in the stands).
I did mean continuously as I feel he does this during the whole game rather than continually which would on and off during the game and would not bother me - it is my opinion that he gets involved in petty niggle during the whole game and this lessens his effectiveness and impact during a game. Its certainly a forwards job to be involved in a certain amount of niggle and all I was suggesting was he gets involved in too much during a game.
Once again sorry if I upset anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.