• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
A positive start for the men in Blue this year, they should have got the win. Just a few errors and failing to capitalise on field possession is what let them down. Other than that, I can see a podium finish coming on for BGS. IMO, Nudgee didn't seem as strong as usual.

Other results from this weekend?
Just back from a shopping trip to Carindale and dropped in to see BSHS - ACGS. Win to BSHS on the bell with a try under the posts. Churchie had their chances but once again, all the hype in the world about imports and new coach meant nothing as too many lapses of concentration gave them a rude reminder about how tight 1st XV footy can be. Well done to BSHS, two early tries against could have seen them give up but, aided by what seemed to be a huge penalty count for them, they keep plugging away. I liked the efforts of BSHS 12 and 8 and for ACGS 13 was elusive but overall they were too inconsistent for me. I note with interest that previous posts had ACGS winning by 20 plus so High can be proud of their efforts from underdog to top dog at Carina. They morph into a very different team when they hit the opposition 22 - great pick and go and solid input from all forwards. To the BSHS coaches who are apparently much maligned here - take a bow. This competition will serve up its share of tight ones this season and rugby is the better for it. I think TGS play ACGS next weekend - you don't think they'll be out to give Jason Gilmour a reminder he left them for greener pastures?

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
NC had some very strong runners making several line breaks. Their last try under the posts a reward from some very effective pick and drive play. IMO they looked a lot better than BGS in the second half.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
NC had some very strong runners making several line breaks. Their last try under the posts a reward from some very effective pick and drive play. IMO they looked a lot better than BGS in the second half.

BGS seemed to be just tired towards the end of the 2nd half - maybe a few fresh legs would've helped. I didn't think Grammar used any of their reserves...

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
BGS First XV team list as per program

1.McReight
2.Murray
3.Spencer
4.Cox
5.Nyssen
6.Dooley
7.Morrey (capt)
8.Kemp
9.Yule
10.Halliday (vice capt)
11.Laud
12.Aiono
13.Lanskey
14.Sly
15.Marsden

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
Last update from GT's twitter was with 15 minutes to go. GT 12- TSS 26

Underage A games results:
u. 13 - GT
u. 14 - GT
u. 15 - GT
u. 16 - TSS

edit - Final score TSS 33 d GT 12.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
BGS v NC July 20

P7200504 (Large).JPG

P7200512 (Large).JPG
P7200513 (Large).JPG
P7200519 (Large).JPG
P7200527 (Large).JPG
P7200534 (Large).JPG

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Strong BBC or a weak TGS? Rumors have been going round of a very strong BBC backline.
BBC 32 over TGS 14

BBC lead 18 nil at halftime. Your assumption is correct BBC. Backline too big . All tries but a Bowen. Chip. Chase came fr om offloads in tackle. By BBC. 10 , 12 & 13 . Nathan Russel is a huge. Nber 10 and offloaded twice for tries. TGS forwards tried hard.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Great game of rugby played out at Northgate today. The match was entirely even and I think both of these teams have a good shot at the premiership. Nudgee are, as always, a very big side. However, BGS, for what they lack in size in the forwards, muscled up very well against Nudgee College. I thought BGS had it over NC for the majority of the match, and some silly errors let Nudgee back into the game.

Best for BGS:
3. McReight (scrummed up well against a much bigger Nudgee prop and made some big runs)
4. Cox (hit just about every breakdown)
7. Morrey (Pilfered well and very strong defence)
13. Lanskey (Ran hard all day and made several big runs up the centre of the field)
15. Marsden (Awesome counter-attack)

Best for NC:
8. Jones (strong running game and you can see why he is an Aus Schoolboy)
10. Tuttle (good kicking game, led the team well)
13 Campbell Magnay (looks dangerous with the ball every time)

These were just the people who stood out for me. I still thought that all 30 people on the field played very good games of rugby.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
Apparently, 16A BGS 25 d NC 5

Correct. BGS only won 1 game last year in the 15As - against a weak BSHS. Does Nudgee have many under 16s playing up in the 1st XV? BGS' 16s only lost one person from last year's team (Paddy Dooley) and gained a few from injury. BGS 2011 16As didn't win a game - came back the next season as GPS premiers. I doubt that the results from 16s mean too much in the long run.

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just back from a shopping trip to Carindale and dropped in to see BSHS - ACGS. Win to BSHS on the bell with a try under the posts. Churchie had their chances but once again, all the hype in the world about imports and new coach meant nothing as too many lapses of concentration gave them a rude reminder about how tight 1st XV footy can be. Well done to BSHS, two early tries against could have seen them give up but, aided by what seemed to be a huge penalty count for them, they keep plugging away. I liked the efforts of BSHS 12 and 8 and for ACGS 13 was elusive but overall they were too inconsistent for me. I note with interest that previous posts had ACGS winning by 20 plus so High can be proud of their efforts from underdog to top dog at Carina. They morph into a very different team when they hit the opposition 22 - great pick and go and solid input from all forwards. To the BSHS coaches who are apparently much maligned here - take a bow. This competition will serve up its share of tight ones this season and rugby is the better for it. I think TGS play ACGS next weekend - you don't think they'll be out to give Jason Gilmour a reminder he left them for greener pastures?
I agree with your assessment of the game. BSHS could have given up after two early tries. Scrums were neutral but BSHS dominated the rucks. I thought No. 10 for BSHS played an outstanding game. From what I saw ACGS forwards will need to improve a lot if they are to win any games.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Gee Taipan-that is a big call>you picked TGS to win by 9!TGS had 1 Aust A rep and numerous GPS reps and if ever this was a match TGS was going to win -this was it.It was sideways rain until halfway through the 2nds.BBC won 13A ,14A <15 A and 2nds.Were they weak TGS teams too??? or just maybe is Phillpotts plan of level 3 coaches(and mutilple phase play thay has brought him 3 Aussie schoolboys wins over NZ)starting to work.And before you mention the word"import"it was the same backline as last year except foro/c 13(wilkins)TGS forwards more than matched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.