• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jake White Quits Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hang on, hang on, so White is an arsehole because he didn't see out his contract?? And what happened with Deans, wasn't he signed until end of year???
Pot and kettle getting colours mixed I believe boys!!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Is White leaving the Brumbies another nail in the coffin of Australian Rugby at the moment? White is regarded as the best coach in the country and did amazing things with the Brumbies - The Brumbies have really been the only flicker of hope and shining light in Aussie rugby over the last 12-24 months - Should we have given him the Wallabies job?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hang on, hang on, so White is an arsehole because he didn't see out his contract?? And what happened with Deans, wasn't he signed until end of year???
Pot and kettle getting colours mixed I believe boys!!
Deans was given all he was entitled to or could have expected had his contract run its full course: ie $$$$.
White has failed to deliver 2 years of coaching.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
So all those bashing him for walking out have never quit their job before? He's given his two week notice.

If the reason for him not being given the AUS job is because he's not Australian then that's royally fucked up. When you consider a few things:

A) the last bloke wasn't Australian & kept in the job after under archiving massively
B) The ARU relies heavily on Super teams to help them with development of players (just look at how many players in the squad that he's developed)
C) he was interviewed in secret and was lead to believe he had gotten the job to the point he was talking to coaches about support roles
D) how crap a job Link has done so far (harsh but I really believe he shouldn't have the job)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
What does Eddie Jones think of his best mate walking out on his team?

If the ARU chose White over Link and Link went overseas Australian rugby would have gone into meltdown.

I'm really disappointed with White, he didn't come across as someone who'd start building something and then walk out halfway through. Rightly or wrongly it sets a precedent for any prospective employers.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So all those bashing him for walking out have never quit their job before? He's given his two week notice.

If the reason for him not being given the AUS job is because he's not Australian then that's royally fucked up. When you consider a few things:

A) the last bloke wasn't Australian & kept in the job after under archiving massively
B) The ARU relies heavily on Super teams to help them with development of players (just look at how many players in the squad that he's developed)
C) he was interviewed in secret and was lead to believe he had gotten the job to the point he was talking to coaches about support roles
D) how crap a job Link has done so far (harsh but I really believe he shouldn't have the job)
He's been looking to leave since he day he got there:
White almost walked out on the Brumbies just two games into his contract when he was linked to the vacant England job.
Just hours before the Brumbies clash against the Cheetahs in March last year, he ruled himself out of the running and committed to his Canberra deal.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...by-quitting-20130925-2ueul.html#ixzz2fwDXOVbm

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe he can see that its a good time to leave Australian Rugby and wants to go somewhere with growth and development - You could prob understand some coachs frustrations over the lack of development and growth the ARU put into rugby in Australia.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Is White leaving the Brumbies another nail in the coffin of Australian Rugby at the moment? White is regarded as the best coach in the country and did amazing things with the Brumbies - The Brumbies have really been the only flicker of hope and shining light in Aussie rugby over the last 12-24 months - Should we have given him the Wallabies job?

Maybe he can see that its a good time to leave Australian Rugby and wants to go somewhere with growth and development - You could prob understand some coachs frustrations over the lack of development and growth the ARU put into rugby in Australia.

Are you trying to make a point? Twice in 30 minutes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I saw him at the national schools champs presumably scouting so it seems a recent decision

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fuck. You.

re Robbie, did you see digby piece on fox Sports?

He credits McKenzie and the man he replaced, Deans, as his greatest rugby mentors.
Deans has been widely blamed for the Wallabies slip down the world rankings. Ioane tells a different story.
"I was really good mates with Robbie. I still talk to him. I just say 'what's up' to him here and there," Ioane says.
"I liked him because he kept his word.
"He said to me once he would not pick me for Tri-Nations but wanted me for the Spring Tour later in the year and he kept his word.
"I was in a situation like that at the Western Force with John Mitchell and ... he was the worst.
"I was man of the match one week and dropped the next.
"That's what made up my mind about leaving the Force (in 2007).
"What I love about Deans is he's honest.
"I was thinking about going to Japan (club rugby in 2011) and he flew up here to meet me and my family and convinced me to stay.
"It is funny, him and McKenzie are similar but different.
"McKenzie is really smart but really strict.
"I don't know why people bag Robbie.
"He's a great coach and that's the truth."

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Well at least I have this thread to help dry my tears after the americas cup this morning.

T

Train Without a Station

Where does this talk about White being the obviously better option come from? He did win a World Cup 6 years ago... Since then Link and him had almost parallel careers. Link took the Reds (later in the off season than White though) to a win off the finals in his first year, then a championship in his second, then the finals for 2 more years. Based on recent Aus Super Rugby, that appears to be a reasonable return.

Jake took the Brumbies to one win off the finals in 2012, and one win off a championship in 2013.

I rate Jake and he has obviously done a great job but based on the only comparable recent experience (ignoring then results of one tournament getting close to a decade ago) the blokes have had, Link seems to have the slight edge.

It seems though that with the Reds peaking in 2011, and the Brumbies building up from the start of last year this gets forgotten... Even though the Reds finished higher last year still.

Not at all knocking the guy's results, just saying I don't the evidence to suggest that the Wallabies would be performing significantly better if he had been hired over Link.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Well at least I have this thread to help dry my tears after the americas cup this morning.
I guess chocking isn't reserved for your World Cup rugby players. Now if only Joubert was the sailing umpire for the Americas Cup ....... ;)

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think if White was in charge of the Wallabies we would see a much improved out-fit in the coming months/years. I think Link is a fantastic coach but I just dont know if he is upto the job. White would of been a much better option, with experience of building a winning culture and enviorment.

Fingers crossed Wallabies have a win this weekend - its really getting to the point of sink or swim for aussie rugby.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Have you met the guy?

There is probably more to this than most people know/think

And thanks for the Canberra bashing. Adds nothing.
Yeah, thanks for not reading this bit at all...

"I read somewhere that he may be seriously wifed, in which case he has made the right call (and I hope that is the case - he really doesn't come across as the kinda guy to not finish what he has started"

And ignoring the fact I was replying directly to a statement which was started with a premise (thus the IF ate the start - I even bolded the part in his quote to make sure some of you who are hurting don't get too carried away.

And...

Canberra. You honestly don't think that some people might actually NOT want to live in what is a pretty terrible town? Sheesh, I have known people that left their jobs and shifted because of "Sydney", "Melbourne" and "Brisbane" and those cities offer infinitely more variety and opportunity than what that travesty down there offers.

If you want to attack those who are giving White grief for leaving, then maybe you should reply to those posts, there are plenty in this thread. I think he is a pretty stand up kinda guy and find it very odd and would think there must be some pretty strong reasons to quit (including the place where he lives).

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Of course Jake White would've done a better job than Ewen, you only need to see the style of play at Super Rugby to know that.

Do not buy the homesick line one bit. After all he wanted the Aus job - doesn't exactly keep you at home does it.
Does get you out of Canberra though! ;)

Reactions: gel

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Something about taking his bat and ball and fucking off.

Am so glad he never got the Wallaby spot. Cannot believe the bloke was even considered. (not from ability but nationality)

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I guess the unknown information is how his coming second in the aus coaching application was communicated to him. Maybe it was poorly done and his reaction was understandable. Otherwise, geez, poor form jake and a bad loss for aus ruby as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.