• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Great to see the young guys getting locked in.but last time we bulk-hired un20s players (quirk, gill, schatz, toua and shipperly I think. Many of the recent young signings failed to make the un20 team or were on the bench. While it is SO important and fantastic they have been locked in.can we afford to have SO many in the 31 squad? Surely they must be in the WTS or EPS to work with Brad Thorn. Can't be competitve over a long season if your backups are mostly teenagers.

mafi, ready, thor, paraka, roddha, tui, Korzyke, fakasolia, browning, tuttle, greene, mcintyre, d.pauea, kerevi, magnay and CFS are all within about a year of playing un20s..half the squad potentially. Surely that's not quite balanced depth for a what is hoping to be one of the strongest provincial teams in the world.

Rather good observations.

Link made clear from late 2012 or early 2013 that RG was given squad and recruitment planning for the Reds.

From this HC's handiwork in such key tasks, this is where we have landed as 2016's season now beckons.

However, at this Friday's Reds Gala Ball 'exciting major new signings' are to be announced, so let's be positive and hopeful..... as we were this time last year.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
mafi, ready, thor, paraka, roddha, tui, Korzyke, fakasolia, browning, tuttle, greene, mcintyre, d.pauea, kerevi, magnay and CFS are all within about a year of playing un20s..half the squad potentially. Surely that's not quite balanced depth for a what is hoping to be one of the strongest provincial teams in the world.

So we are f₩§¥£€$®©}>

However, at this Friday's Reds Gala Ball 'exciting major new signings' are to be announced, so let's be positive and hopeful... as we were this time last year.

Who could they be? Really not many options. Australian top class players would be someone like Giteau or Mitchell, oh I forgot Kane Douglas and could be someone like Ben Mowen? Mmmm

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Lukhan Tui I don't think has played any Shute Shield (if he has only a few bench runs). Don't throw your toys out of the pram though there has been plenty of players signed in the past in his current position who have gone on to represent Australia and their franchise with distinction.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
answering my own question, yes. Yes it is RR.

KEEN observers were mightily impressed by rookie Australian under-20s lock Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui during the recent Oceania Junior Rugby Championship.
And they were stunned to learn that the 18-year-old only began playing union two years ago.
The giant 200cm, 126kg lock was brought up on league in New Zealand, but since switching codes he has looked like a natural, and has benefited from joining Randwick’s program.
While Australia were soundly beaten by New Zealand in the competition final, Lealaiauloto-Tui was a standout, and has been named in the Australian under-20s squad to play in the World Championships in Italy next month.

That has made me feel a little better. He was impressive and an impact player which is handy. Still not the man for next year, but a good player.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I guess Peter Grant's confirmed signing today by the Force just contrasts what's been happening here, in terms of recruiting Super Rugby ready players?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
gel, the other worry-invoking issue is just what this all means for the Reds commercially and financially into 2016 (coupled of course with just how the QRU's finances end up after 2015's lowered membership and $ gate income).

RR's imagined team above, now minus QC (Quade Cooper) etc, is hardly a crowd magnetising bunch. All the QRU's slickest videos and marketing drives won't disguise that fact.

After the RG debacle upon debacle I simply cannot see Reds 2015 members again falling for another set of 'glamour and glitz' announcements this year and such driving along their desire to automatically reenlist for 2016. There is today serious angst and disillusionment within even hitherto rusted-on Reds fans I know. The only possible momentum-creator for Reds membership into 2016 would be a Graham sacking (wholly and completely, no board members crony-led support coach role for him) and his replacement with a respected new HC possessing a decent track record.

I would imagine something similar will be true for Reds' sponsors, though usually there the lead times to pull-outs and reductions are longer given multi-year sponsor contracts.

For 2016, there may well be more ARU $s flowing to the Reds from the ARU's new media deal via SANZAR, but I worry that Reds' gate, membership and tactical sponsorship $ levels could return to c.2007-09 levels thus gradually imperilling, best case, the spare $ the QRU has for all of QLD amateur rugby and, worse case, the QRU's own viability as a whole.

Recall it was only the dramatic revival of the Reds in terms of a wonderful playing style, some really exciting players, and a much increased w-l% in the 2010-2011 period that dug the Reds out of the vast financial hole they they were in by 2009 and so allowed them to repay the solvency-restoring c.$4m loan back to the ARU. That major boost was needed to restore basic QRU viability.

All the current omens are that we are about to see at least two years where that crucial boost process is completely reversed.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that results affect income.

I recall one of Jim Carmichael's goals was to make the QRU a financially viable entity separate from the successes (or lack thereof) of the Reds.

I didn't really think that he would be so keen to put that to the test so soon after getting us back into the black though :S

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Are the QRU able to suck it up and state that yep, this needs to be a long term re-build.

I'm a massive AFL supporter, so you see this happen a lot. St Kilda is a good example. The club essentially said yep, this is a rebuild, new coach there for a long term plan, lot's of young rookies and developing talent, mixed with a few experienced heads.

I ask if Reds supporters would accept this? I don't have a definitive answer personally to be honest, because I have mixed feelings about it. Are we willing to accept a 1-2 lean seasons to build to something potentially bigger?

However, if that is the direction the club is moving in, and with recent reviews, new youth signings, I feel the club owes it to the loyal supporters to be honest and transparent about it.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Tigerland we bought this when Jones started coaching the Reds, he said to not expect much, they were a young group of blokes coming through together and some old heads.

Jones didn't get the best from them and left but team started playing better under mooney but lacked consistency. Link was the coach that really brought them on.

If we are going to rebuild then that is fine, bring the young blokes on with a coach and the support that sees them thrive. What the Reds have now is not the right environment for this.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
If we are going to rebuild then that is fine, bring the young blokes on with a coach and the support that sees them thrive. What the Reds have now is not the right environment for this.
Agreed. The environment right now isn't right for a rebuild, things have to change at the top first.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Graham stays, nothing changes. There's no point in the Reds asking fans to bear with them while they rebuild. Just a continually weakening roster with a bad coach.

A lot will depend on if the Reds keep Graham or not. If Graham stays, I won't be renewing my membership, and I am sure there will be thousands like me.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I wouldn't be worried about the signings just announced. All are in the EDS besides McIntyre who is top squad, Paraka and Greene who are EPS from my understanding. The Reds have a capable third string option at hooker in Matthew Mafi (Brothers) who is a powerhouse scrummager.

Three signings will soon be announced with Kane Douglas, Eto Nabuli commuting whilst Hendrick Tui will re-sign with the club for 2016. The vacant 5/8 slot will be announced in the upcoming weeks and they are showing interest in a All black currently abroad.

Now I was almost certain that Matt O'Connor would be coach next season but it is true that RG has re-applied for position for the Head coaching role. The board are considering his application with interest as it baffles me to think he could lead the club again in 2016.

Currently the Reds in 2016 could like like;

15. O'Connor
14. F'Sautia
13. Hunt
12. Kerevi
11. Nabuli
10. Int position.
9. Frisby
8. Tui
7. Gill
6. Schatz
5. Douglas
4. Simmons
3. Holmes
2. FTS
1. Slipper

16. Ready
17. Daley
18. Talakai
19. Neville
20. Fakaosilia
21. Gale
22. McIntyre
23. FTA

Magnay
Taulagi
Paaiaua
Kuridrani
Browning

EPS/EDS/WTS:
Gunn
Paraka
Tupou
Fa'agase
Korzyck
Greene
M. Mafi
A. Mafi
Rodda
L. Tui

B

Bobby Sands

What are we getting so negatively excited about?

These are academy signings, and all of them are fantastic young players. The thought of what Thorn could do with a Rodda or Tui is so bloody exciting. Remember he will be look after our young piggies, and probably putting the entire squad to shame in the gym.

If we have made any key signing they will be revealed on Friday.

This is just the h'orderves.

We need a new coach, no doubt about it.

But the few mooted would all be massive upgrades.

Let's load our squad up, re-load our academy setup and allow the new coaching boys to rework out Rugby eco-system.

AFL is a great comparison by an earlier poster. Just back em in, don't piss and moan. We are re-building it happens, it's part of the ride. It makes you hungry for the next successful period.

It's just becomes unbearable when we kick pebbles all the god damn time.

The Richmond Tigers are a club who have genuinely had a rough trot, and now building a list to take down Mordor. Melbourne is on the brink of melting-down if Richmond start winning finals.

These periods tell you far more about the club, and the supporters, then periods of success.

T

Train Without a Station

Mate do you know much about AFL? Richmond are a club who took themselves to the brink due to mismanagement and undervaluing their own players yet paying overs to recruit outside players in the 80s.

They've also been in a rebuilding phase since around 2002. If they fail to finish strongly this year, Damien Hardwick will be under real pressure due to not achieving a lot in his time there.

They've also been known as specials for finishing 9th. I'm doubtful they will win a premiership in my lifetime in fact.

I can only hope we are nothing like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.