• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Relieved to see my prediction as to the quality of this Joeys 3rds team being vindicated.
Only one way to describe Joeys 3rds - impressive, very impressive. 76-0 victory against a Kings side that never gave up despite Joeys being bigger, faster and more skilful. That Joeys 3rds side were good from 1-15 and would beat most schools seconds teams (including their own I suspect) and would also give a few 1sts teams some trouble (across the 3 associations).

fully agree with this: this being my 3rd year of watching the 3rds comp I'd say they are the best team I have seen in this comp.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Relieved to see my prediction as to the quality of this Joeys 3rds team being vindicated.

fully agree with this: this being my 3rd year of watching the 3rds comp I'd say they are the best team I have seen in this comp.

Anyone have a team list for Joeys 3rds ?

Beard

Allen Oxlade (6)
there you go.... it was definitely their strongest showing today, but the boys have played a great brand of rugby all year..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 366

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
The 3rds seems to be a funny comp...

After being on the bottom of the ladder for the better part of 7 rounds, Kings has notched up two wins: 1 against Riverview and one against Newington. They pushed Shore to the limit to no avail, losing by 1 point in the end (but they did win a trial game against them earlier in the year).

One of Kings' losses came to the expense of High who have gone on to lose to every other team by massive margins. Every time I see this side play they seem to play with a different side on the field. Injuries perhaps?

Riverview only lost to Joeys by about 15 or so points whereas Kings loses by over 70 (bigger than High's loss).

Shore winning by 3 against Armidale, TAS vs Scots ending up in a draw...

Geez this comp is good fun to watch.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Riverview going 14-0 up early on with the classic scrum-half try >>

Poor Max Girdler!

But I must say, what heart some of these Scots 1XV boys have. Like with the Joeys game, they looked gone for all money being three tries down, and then they manage to pull something spectacular out of the hat. Massive props to them. Interested to read a match report + see the rest of the footage in the near future.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Were Scots playing their real Firsts in the first half??
Riverview played a very smart game in the first half.
Kept possession, picked and drived and held the ball for long periods of time to great effect.
They deserved their lead.
Until 3 minutes before half time Scots didn't seem to get out of second gear.
After the break Scots switched it on and scored 5 unanswered tries in quick succession.
It was 20 minutes of first class schoolboy rugby and Riverview simply lost all structure. They had no answers.
It really was a game of 2 halves.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Shore V New

Shore were brilliant in the first 20. really looked the better side in every regard. Well deserved the lead 5-0. (also missed 2 penalties goal attempts)

Then New got the ball, and scored back to back. Game turned and New dominated. And before long turned a bit ugly.

Got to say, 8 for new very good today, 2, 3 and 11 also very good. These big boys were breaking the line at will.

For Shore 6 & 5 best forwards, Cowley at 10 played well as did Partick and Corbett. Cudmore on the wing, up from the 2's scored the try of the match, ran the length of the field, beating New's fancied backs.

The score is not a good indication of the game, Shore had plenty of opportunities to score, and did punch some big holes in the New's line, but New were always dangerous and could score even when Shore were hard on attack. No. 8 for New picked up an attacking grubber kick and running in a try, beating the very fast Shore 15.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Poor Max Girdler!

But I must say, what heart some of these Scots 1XV boys have. Like with the Joeys game, they looked gone for all money being three tries down, and then they manage to pull something spectacular out of the hat. Massive props to them. Interested to read a match report + see the rest of the footage in the near future.

Scots have shown over the past couple of seasons that they play for the whole match and are never beaten until the final whistle. I'd like to know how many come from behind wins they've had in that time. Clearly they are physically fit and mentally very composed, it's happened too often for it to be luck.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

You'd watch a lot of rugby to find a better team than this at 3rd XV level. High speed, high skill and physically formidable.

At least two of the tries were 90 metre efforts in which just about every boy in the team would have handled the ball. The forwards could drive up the middle as well and skilful enough to have short interchange passing in the contact.

It must also be said that the Kings boys kept at it until the final whistle, they never dropped their heads or stopped trying. At one point with a few minutes to go the Kings flanker stole a turnover 10 m out from his own line, he was driven back a few metres, there was a bit of a scramble, the Kings half somehow got his hands on the ball, was monstered by a couple of Joeys forwards and driven back right to the line and Joeys drove over and scored.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I should add that Joeys played the last 20 minutes with 13 players - they took players off as the score mounted in some sort of unofficial mercy rule and still dominated.

The Mercy Rule kicked in at 40 points differential and they had to drop another for every additional 10 points.

Joeys had 12 men at the end of the game and scored more than one try with that number.

Watch out for winger Jake Patmore in the Ones next year. He was plagued by injuries and ended up playing just a few games. He can shift.

Ruggernut

Frank Nicholson (4)
As someone who lives overseas and does not follow it overly closely (but I'm a GPS old boy) - what is the "equation" for next week in terms of the Premiership?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Mercy Rule kicked in at 40 points differential and they had to drop another for every additional 10 points.

Joeys had 12 men at the end of the game and scored more than one try with that number.

Watch out for winger Jake Patmore in the Ones next year. He was plagued by injuries and ended up playing just a few games. He can shift.

I suspect we'll see a few of those boys in firsts next year. Both wingers were big, athletic and fast and the 5/8 controlled the game very well, and in fact I'd struggle to find a weakness in the team anywhere.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that there was still an official mercy rule at this level.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As someone who lives overseas and does not follow it overly closely (but I'm a GPS old boy) - what is the "equation" for next week in terms of the Premiership?

In the 1sts, Scots and Newington are 3 points clear of Joeys with one game to play.
Newington v Riverview at Stanmore
Scots v Kings at Bellvue Hill

Wins to the 2 leaders most likely, but on their day Kings and Riverview are capable. Neither seem to be able to sustain their best play for the full 70 mins.

In the 2nds, yesterday's loss by Joeys keeps the competition alive. Joeys are 2 points clear of Newington with one to play.

Shore v Joeys at Northbridge

The seconds competition is the most even of all, most games seem quite close so while Joeys would be considered slight favourites, anything could happen.

In the 3rds Joeys are 2 points clear of Grammar with one to play.

Grammar v High at Weigall

Difficult to see anyone beating this Joeys team - their for and against is 320/15. Grammar should account for High, but it will be academic.;)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
In the 1sts, Scots and Newington are 3 points clear of Joeys with one game to play.
Scots v Kings at Bellvue Hill

Wins to the 2 leaders most likely, but on their day Kings and Riverview are capable. Neither seem to be able to sustain their best play for the full 70 mins.

In the 2nds, yesterday's loss by Joeys keeps the competition alive. Joeys are 2 points clear of Newington with one to play.

The seconds competition is the most even of all, most games seem quite close so while Joeys would be considered slight favourites, anything could happen.
.;)

@QH.... Kings is at home for the last round. The Kings seconds have let their premiership chances slip away with several close losses in games where the difference was scored in the dying minutes or extra time. So the best they will do this year is possibly 2nd behind Joeys if View beat New.

Status
Not open for further replies.