• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Be more than happy to write and the powers to be at Newington have stressed as long as I am honest and fair, they have no problems with me writing reports from a Newington viewpoint.

That's great. You should let LG know asap. Also as NIS says, we need someone to write season preview for New. All other schools are covered. But i need content by stumps tomorrow. If that is doable let me know and I can convo you the key sections required for the preview. Cheers

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Azzuri, poor thing. Must need some consoling.

The Scots boys must of had something extra up their kilts.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Sorry to disappoint NIS while the result wasn't a perfect start it was a trial and both teams scored two tries a peice. Kings were up 10-Zip at the break and and more than had Scots covered. Kings had an average second half and gave scots an opportunity which u just can't do. Anyhow they play again in two weeks and that score will matter.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
If Azzuri needs some cheering up ...... I had the best pie in a long time at the Kings cafe at 8.30 am this morning ..... piping hot and served with love by the Kings mums ........ God I love getting sauce out of a two litre pump pack no body asking for 20 cents extra for a miesly sashet after you have paid for the bloody pie ... Very nice .....

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Someone mention that New only has two u16 teams this year, which was the same situation as last year. What is happening in this age group at New, is everyone playing up a grade?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Champion. A pre season review is what is needed fast

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

At the moment I am not knowledgeable enough about the Newington 1st XV team itself regarding players other than some casual conversations with coaches and a parent. Also, as a self-employed individual some matches cannot be covered every week.

But what I can provide tonight, are some other reports about the Matches played at Stanmore today.

2nd XV I missed due to the fact I was largely watching the 15As game. But what I saw was a side under immense pressure from Oakhill. However, the 2nd XV held on and went on to take the Game 35-12. This team is largely a year 12 side with loads of experience. The 3rd XV was won by New 26-14 and revealed a side who held out like the 2nds and then came back to take the match. Oakhill took the honours in the 4ths,5ths and 6ths from what I can gather.

The 16As was a particularly impressive match with a talented Newington side putting on a slick, well-drilled and professional display of schoolboy Rugby. The backline was fast and well coordinated and took a 29-0 lead at half-time To Oakhill's credit they stepped up and almost scored on a couple occasions. However, the New defence was up to the task and keep Oakhill scoreless. Nevertheless, New scored two tries in the second half to take the game 41-0
The 16As team could well prove to be hope of Newington Rugby in 2017. As the under 16s of 2015 only had two teams and pretty well got hammered in their matches. They are team to watch

The 15As by my account I think Won 56-10. Again, a rentless display by the New backs who were very pacy. However, at least one try was scored by a very determined running prop. But Oakhill were no easy beats and played some excellent rugby. Newington were simply a class act in this game.

The other game that impress me was the 13As won by New 40-14.Intially, when I saw the game start I though I was watching the 14As, but no it was a 13A team from Newington. Again, a big fast team with some brilliant support play as the backs move the ball around. They are running team that has the belief that the most important player is not the player with the ball but the players who are in support of that player. This permitted the team to play the game at pace and score 6 tries to 2. Again, Oakhill showed determination and skill and played some good rugby. But Newington just played at a another level.

14As I missed but I was told won convincingly

So as a preview of the Newington A teams, I can say they all extremely well, indeed professionally coached. Obviously, they have yet to face the likes of Joeys and the other GPS schools. In this regard it is still early days, but as a Newington supporter I have rarely seen such well-prepared and drilled teams.

Regards
Black and White

Loose Carry

Peter Burge (5)
Talk over at Knox was that Joeys won almost everything. 30 fixtures between the schools today with just 3 wins to Knox, all lower teams in young age groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wow.. Becareful your kindergarten teacher will scold you for being naughty to the other kiddies. Now run along and let the adults get back to work

Remember about spreading the humble pie nice and thick pre season ........ Last year I think the trial results were reversed re kings v scots and only one big name (Ryan McAuley) was rested by Scots with an injury all others played despite previous contrary posts ......... Kings played out of their skins and deserved that win ........ I think the rugby program at TSC is growing fruit ........ But I doubt that this will be 4 on the trot ....... I think the winning team ( and I predict joeys or new ) will win 7 loose 3 ish there will be no grand masters this year...........

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
How did scots 16as go against kings? Think 16as gps comp will be a good one , if newington is back to the way they were when they were 13s.

Have heard kings have an excellent 13as ... So will be interested on how the above discussed newington 13as fares ...amazing the standard of rugby has got in the nursery

10 years ago wouldn't have had any interest in a 13as fixture ... But the skill level has risen dramatically .. At least in my estimation

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Someone mention that New only has two u16 teams this year, which was the same situation as last year. What is happening in this age group at New, is everyone playing up a grade?

No, the impression I got it could 4 teams and some else mentioned 3. I noticed on the school website that boys after year 8 can drop at least one sport. well that how I have understood it.

The number of teams at Newington, do vary from what I heard but at best the numbers are:-

13s 6 Teams
14s 5 to 4
15s 5 to 4
16s 4 to 3
Opens 6

If we take the higher numbers, Newington have actually increased their numbers from last year. Them there is the quality of the teams and I can assure in the A teams it is very high.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Remember about spreading the humble pie nice and thick pre season .... Last year I think the trial results were reversed re kings v scots and only one big name (Ryan McAuley) was rested by Scots with an injury all others played despite previous contrary posts ... Kings played out of their skins and deserved that win .... I think the rugby program at TSC is growing fruit .... But I doubt that this will be 4 on the trot ... I think the winning team ( and I predict joeys or new ) will win 7 loose 3 ish there will be no grand masters this year.....

Looking forward to reviewing this prediction after round 5. I'm not bullish enough to predict anything at this stage.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Sorry to disappoint NIS while the result wasn't a perfect start it was a trial and both teams scored two tries a peice. Kings were up 10-Zip at the break and and more than had Scots covered. Kings had an average second half and gave scots an opportunity which u just can't do. Anyhow they play again in two weeks and that score will matter.

Totally agree Az. Kings would be disappointed with their second half, as I imagine Scots will be with their first. But as we saw last year with the Kings / Scots matches, the trial was a poor indicator. That said I impressed with both teams. It was a tough, physical hit out. Just the sort of match you would want with the comp starting next week.Both teams played some good footy at different stages and would both have a clear idea of the things they need to work on in the week ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.