• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Team next week will be interesting - the decisions are:

Kerevi or Lilo.
Arnold or Horwill.

After that its injuries.

I think both are worth sticking with...........

Both showed promise, but also had a few errors........ not better or worse than most of the players.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think our bench was designed for a pace game, despite the forward orientation, and we paid for it with an early injury in the backs.

Once the balance returns to 5:3 and the injuries are known, it will make a lot of the discussion around the replacements more sensible.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I think both are worth sticking with.....

Both showed promise, but also had a few errors.... not better or worse than most of the players.

Agree - I'd stick with both. Also agree with the comments about McMahon adding little on the bench.

I'm not a huge Horne fan - I feel there are much better wing options out there across the Aussie conference.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
On form you'd have to go with Kerevi. Unless Lilo trains like a madman this week.

I think I'd stick with Arnold. Some good signs from him, his errors although disappointed weren't out of the ordinary for some-one making a test debut. He'll be better after this hit out.

Kerevi was disappointing. Didn't get many opportunties. Didn't back himeself enough when he did. His potetial nonetheless remains. Perpahs as a finisher next week?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi was disappointing. Didn't get many opportunties. Didn't back himeself enough when he did. His potetial nonetheless remains. Perpahs as a finisher next week?

Lilo was equally disappointing though. I guess you could argue he has limited time with the squad but his super xv form has been equally unimpressive whereas Kerevi's has been good.

Maybe we need an SOS to Gits. Or Hunt will get his shot.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Agree - I'd stick with both. Also agree with the comments about McMahon adding little on the bench.

I'm not a huge Horne fan - I feel there are much better wing options out there across the Aussie conference.

I agree on Horne. Some pace out wide would have been very useful, especially with the width we were creating out wide. Tomane or Speight would have absolutely carved it up in a game like that.

Too bad we just don't have anyone else available.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My take from the ground, pissed off and immoderate is that England won a very undeserved victory. the disallowed try was bullshit. That was no way obstruction. The yellow card against Sio, woeful.

That said Foley kicking from place and hand remains very poor and unreliable.
I thought Kerevi and DHP, had good games for debutantes. Arnold good patches but Horwill was a step up.

Very disappointed in the skill aspects of the wallaby failure.

All that said it has been yet another wonderful weekend with good rugby mates so I can't be too despondent.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
20 mins in and I thought the team as a whole looked pretty faultless, but it really did fall apart quickly.........

Coles managed to outsmart Sio in the dark arts (one of those penalties should've gone the other way), and that could pave the way for Slipper next week..........

It would probably be the only change I'd make.........

Kepu is the better TH but I'd be tempted to stick with the combinations of Slipper/Holmes and Sio/Kepu.

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
Thought Sio would have be subbed off after that scrum penalty just before halftime [like Marler was subbed off in the previous Eng/Aus game]. Even I could see he was struggling, but he stayed on & then we went down to 14 men.
DHP played really well i thought.
Foley was great except for his kicking; did i see 2 penalty kicks to touch fail to find the line?
Grrr towards the end, when Kuridrani got himself bundled into touch on the right, just when we needed to retain possession!
Loved the way we spread the ball wide, but a couple of times it looked dangerously 'interceptable'.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sio is going to be a lot better for that yellow card - Cole and the Pommy pack outsmarted us, pure and simple. Next time we won't go in there jst looking to dominate physically: we'll be a shitload smarter.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
unfortunately i think we have to go with Lealiifano, even though i think Kerevi was pretty good. I am a fan of Foley, and im definitely not calling for his head. But i thought other then his running game, which was as good as we expect from him, he really does struggle in the playmaking department. without Beale or Giteau inside of him he looked a bit lost other then set plays and threw a crazy amount of hospital passes. obviously his goalkicking was off tonight but that happens. hopefully he will be better next week

Reactions: Tip

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What a joke call that was against Fardy for collapsing the Maul. Pretty obvious he had his hands on the ball at all times from the line out and even came out with it on the ground. Just incredible ignorance from Poite.

Reactions: gel

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
It's a pretty tough call about what to do with Sio. He was quite good around the ground in the first half but obviously he was owned in the scrum. In fairness he probably only packed 4-5 scums in total and the Poms also made a change in the front row when he went off which made it hard to judge if he was very bad or starting pommy scrum was very good. In any case I agree Sio doesn't deserve to be there next week but you don't want to scar him too much from that experience either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's pretty clear now after more than three months of Super Rugby and this round of test matches that neck grabs are no longer a priority for World Rugby.............

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Arnold is a big unit but cannot back up fast enough at this stage...mumm and horwill are JPY's (yesterdays heroes) ...I like the stability that Simmonds brings to the pack ... If Chieka picked on form and some incumbency would have been happier with Simmonds,Coleman,Jones and Timani....sure Jones is going os ...but has a similar work ethic as Douglass who is injured. Skelton to my mind is going to figure as he comes to grips with losing some more kilos and bulking some back on ..he still reminds me of a young Arthur Beetson. Haylett Petty showed some real endeavour and really grabbed his opportunity. The England side were deserved winners .On to the next game ....Eddie and Chieka are more entertaining than Malcolm and Bill anyway.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's pretty clear now after more than three months of Super Rugby and this round of test matches that neck grabs are no longer a priority for World Rugby.....

i think it was a tactic George Smith brought into the English team. Crocodile roll Pocock or anyone else out of the breakdown.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
unfortunately i think we have to go with Lealiifano, even though i think Kerevi was pretty good. I am a fan of Foley, and im definitely not calling for his head. But i thought other then his running game, which was as good as we expect from him, he really does struggle in the playmaking department. without Beale or Giteau inside of him he looked a bit lost other then set plays and threw a crazy amount of hospital passes. obviously his goalkicking was off tonight but that happens. hopefully he will be better next week

Don't forget he did draw in defenders and put Folau into a hole for his try. I think he did a decent job at playmaker - more often then not the right choice was to spread the ball wide and he did that, the problem was who ended up with the ball in space, it was never the player we wanted.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It wasn't a ruck, simply a tackle and Haskell was perfectly within his rights to pick up the ball. Again, Australia has been clueless when the ball is loose on the ground.

Didn't they change the laws a few years ago so that you had the enter through the gate of a tackle regardless if it was a ruck or not? (Unless you were the tackler.)

Status
Not open for further replies.