• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Slim, amazing what happens when you replace underperforming players like Sio, Moore and Holmes. A solid scrum which leads to a try.

Take a calm look at the England THP on all the spidercam shots. As soon as the scrum is set, he starts to bore in towards our hooker, and goes to ground taking Sio with him. On too many occasions Poite held Sio to be responsible but he wasn't. And then when Poite did deign to stand on our LH side Coles (the England THP) stayed straight and stayed on his feet. He can do it, but he didn't do it at all when Poite was on our non-feed side.

That had the effect of disrupting our whole front row and hence the scrum. In reality it should have been Coles in the bin, not Sio.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
unfortunately i think we have to go with Lealiifano, even though i think Kerevi was pretty good. I am a fan of Foley, and im definitely not calling for his head. But i thought other then his running game, which was as good as we expect from him, he really does struggle in the playmaking department. without Beale or Giteau inside of him he looked a bit lost other then set plays and threw a crazy amount of hospital passes. obviously his goalkicking was off tonight but that happens. hopefully he will be better next week

Seriously? A 'crazy amount of hospital passes'?? We must have been watching different games. What minutes were these in?

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
It wasn't a ruck, simply a tackle and Haskell was perfectly within his rights to pick up the ball. Again, Australia has been clueless when the ball is loose on the ground.
I might have to have another look at it, but if I remember it right it went about like this:
Aus player gets tackled, first aus supporting player clears the tackler, setting the offside line, Haskell never retreated and picked the ball from an offside position.

Clearly the second supporting Aus player was a tad too late to make it a ruck and make Haskell look like an idiot and get the YC i think he deserved.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The try in the first half was actually a poor pass from Lealifano, went above Foleys head, Foley tried to catch it and knocked it back and Kerevi had to turn around and try and clean it up.

If you want to be one of those who blame an individual player for causing a try, how about you look at the player who caused the mistake to start with..

TOCC, was it really Lealiifano? Christian seemed to come from much wider on the ground in his chase of the try scorer, so I'm not at all convinced he made the initial pass. Others have nominated Izzy as the culprit. Any convincing evidence otherwise?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wallabies backline lost a bit of defensive composure when Horne went off as well..

Wallabies struggled at the line-out, they started throwing for a quick 2 ball which is a safer option but the least preferred option in terms of backline attack as its gives the defence an extra second to move up and doesn't suck in as many forwards.

Has anyone got the lineout stats? I know that Mumm stole one from the new wonder kid, and I'm sure we won another one or two of their throws at the back of the lineout. I'd be surprised if we didn't actually finish with more of their throws than the opposite.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
TOCC, was it really Lealiifano? Christian seemed to come from much wider on the ground in his chase of the try scorer, so I'm not at all convinced he made the initial pass. Others have nominated Izzy as the culprit. Any convincing evidence otherwise?

It was Folau that threw the pass....... TOCC was just being sensitive.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has anyone got the lineout stats? I know that Mumm stole one from the new wonder kid, and I'm sure we won another one or two of their throws at the back of the lineout. I'd be surprised if we didn't actually finish with more of their throws than the opposite.

Mumm did well when he came on...... did he steal more than one?

Fardy also got a lineout steal...........

But our own lineout certainly suffered when Simmons went off.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What a joke call that was against Fardy for collapsing the Maul. Pretty obvious he had his hands on the ball at all times from the line out and even came out with it on the ground. Just incredible ignorance from Poite.

That's what I thought as well. But it didn't look good, and I think that sometimes plays more into refs' decisions than actual complaince or non-compliance with the laws.

Another penalty before half time against Pocock was also a very bad call by Poite. Take into account that most of the scrums involved illegal tactics by Coles, and we were really on the wrong side of the refereeing tonight.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Didn't they change the laws a few years ago so that you had the enter through the gate of a tackle regardless if it was a ruck or not? (Unless you were the tackler.)

Don't think it ever made it into the game. There have been many examples this year of referees ruling no off side when it is simply a tackle.

M

Moono75

Clusterfuck performance. In homage to the passing of Ali, England rope-a-doped the Wallabies. Its like the Wallabies retain no knowledge and ability to build on past performances. Sucker punched and you knew it was coming.

ExiledinBorders

Frank Row (1)
Charlie Fox (21)

New

Brumby Runner said:
It wasn't a ruck, simply a tackle and Haskell was perfectly within his rights to pick up the ball. Again, Australia has been clueless when the ball is loose on the ground.​

I might have to have another look at it, but if I remember it right it went about like this:​
Aus player gets tackled, first aus supporting player clears the tackler, setting the offside line, Haskell never retreated and picked the ball from an offside position.​
Clearly the second supporting Aus player was a tad too late to make it a ruck and make Haskell look like an idiot and get the YC i think he deserved.​
Your recollection is correct. However you have just shown that the referee was correct. The rules say "A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground." It needs a player from both teams to form a ruck. Until a ruck is formed there is no offside line. As Haskell was the first English player to arrive he cannot possibly be offside.​

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Your recollection is correct. However you have just shown that the referee was correct. The rules say "A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground." It needs a player from both teams to form a ruck. Until a ruck is formed there is no offside line. As Haskell was the first English player to arrive he cannot possibly be offside.​
Well I do not know the rule exactly, but the first support player, who clears the the tackler, binds on him over the tackled player, doesnt he? Thats a ruck there, and all opposition have to retreat behind the offside line.
Once the cleanout is done and the second supporting player is a tad late, the ruck is effectively over, but still if the defender never retreated, he is still offside.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's a pretty ridiculous comment. If you can score a try, you score a try. It is still 5 points.

There is no situation where a try that is on offer out wide is going to be freely available closer to the posts a couple of phases later.

Your other comments criticising the match and England winning by kicking goals seems to be misdirected. Criticise the Wallabies for giving away so many penalties. We gifted them points, they didn't play a negative style of rugby to kick them.

I know but Foley makes me nervous. It's too unfair that a team who scored 2 tries was winning only 10-9 when the opposite side only scored by penalty kicks. If you don't have a top class kicker you should try to score as close to the posts as possible, it's difficult and is not common but it's more an expression of desire than an order. Foley can't kick from corners, his famous kick vs Crusaders was in fron of the posts. Far but in fron of the posts.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
England beat Aus.
Ire beat SA.
Wales give NZ a run for there money.

I'm chalking this one up to SH nations being a bit underdone.
NZ and Aus underdone.

South Africa being absolutely terrible and the only team where it could be said really absolutely deserved to lose. At least AUS scored 4 tries. We only managed one intercept try. We lost against 14.

You guys played a decent game, gave away too many penalties but it was decent at least. We sucked.

Not a game to watch either. The other two games were spectacles.

Aus will bounce back and it will be a good series. Aus will win 2-1.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, not too concerned, we had the wood on them most of the night and the penalty count not only cost us points but also took away all our momentum. Foley's boot didn't help, can't put that one down to lack of cohesion though unfortunately.

Hopefully we can square things up next weekend and then we can all head out to Paddington looking forward to a cracker!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah, not too concerned, we had the wood on them most of the night and the penalty count not only cost us points but also took away all our momentum. Foley's boot didn't help, can't put that one down to lack of cohesion though unfortunately.

Hopefully we can square things up next weekend and then we can all head out to Paddington looking forward to a cracker!

Agree.
However i do think time together develops cohesion and structures of play and with that reduces the infringements that lead to penalties.
At one stage the penalty count was 7 - 1.
We were down on the scoreboard be 10, but had scored 4 tries to 2.
Cohesion was, but was also not there.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unfortunately winning a rugby match is not only about tries.

Definitely Aus were a few rectified mistakes away from maybe winning, but don't underestimate the opposition's effect. Pressure creates mistakes. Whether that be pressure in expectation or pressure from the opposition or a combination of both.

Clearly the Wallabies can play, today it was not good enough. Your blokes will learn from this and improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.