• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Seriously? A 'crazy amount of hospital passes'?? We must have been watching different games. What minutes were these in?

i couldnt tell you because i was at the game observing it from the ground. i'l rewatch it today on foxtel and get back to you because he did do it, the most obvious one is the tackle on david pocock where Haskell destroyed him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Poite was his usual self, but we should have been better than that.

The obstruction call still bothers me because Burrell would never have made the tackle from that position, but we didn't help ourselves by giving away a second penalty once they were in our half.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nah. Folau was dangerous last night. Horne's wing is an issue but DHP looks at home. If Tomane was fit it wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe we should play Hooper at wing next week, he is faster than Horne and then Gill can play 7;)

Hooper is pretty much playing "scrum-wing" now. Kind of an extra back with remit to get his nose into the piggies. More of an extra center than a wing. It's bothered me in the past, but like EVERYTHING Cheika does it's kind of growing on me.

Lets not dis' Horne, he's giving it 11 on the noise knob. Substitute with speed -regretfully, and only if this Aussie speedster matches Horne in attitude.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I would rotate in both Slipper and Kepu.

Wallabies will give away fewer penalties as they get more cohesive and Cheika is too good not to drill that shit out of them.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The views they showed on the highlights of that Foley "obstruction" are pretty deceptive. We were sitting pretty front on to the wallabies attack, and the English player was a good 5 metres to the right of where Foley was and would have never have been in a position to get a hold of him.

Poite's fascination with scrums only ending in penalties was pretty annoying. I find it ridiculous that there are particular referees that continue to get picked up when they have some very obvious issues: Poite with scrums and Barnes with forward passes being the more notable

Australia still could have won it though and just kept making horrendous errors. Rather annoying in the end to let in that 3rd try so easily.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Take a calm look at the England THP on all the spidercam shots. As soon as the scrum is set, he starts to bore in towards our hooker, and goes to ground taking Sio with him. On too many occasions Poite held Sio to be responsible but he wasn't. And then when Poite did deign to stand on our LH side Coles (the England THP) stayed straight and stayed on his feet. He can do it, but he didn't do it at all when Poite was on our non-feed side.

That had the effect of disrupting our whole front row and hence the scrum. In reality it should have been Coles in the bin, not Sio.

Cole didn't bore so much as hide his outside shoulder. That forces the loose head to take an angle or collapse. With the ref on the far side, it will always look like the loose head is at fault - as you point out.

As a matter of interest, this is a common tactic used by tight heads all over the shop. But, when we do it, it's the loose head's fault. :)

I believe I read an article by Scott Allen pointing this out previously, which started an argument here.

For me, this is a matter of Sio not being experienced enough to deal with shady tactics. In honesty, we are going to face it everywhere we go. And until the broader scrumming improves at junior levels in Australia, we will continue to see it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This notion that Hooper only runs in the backs is rubbish. Looking at the game again he did a heap of work around the ruck, and made a lot of strong runs 1-2 out off the ruck. He was one of our best.

The yellow card to Sio was just bullshit. It was the third penalty he gave away, in midfield on our ball. On what planet is that a yellow card? Fuck me Romain did a number on us.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not trying to pander to the audience here but wft surely Aus will win this series 2-1. Looked likely to score every time..... until they didnt. Maybe thats why this thread hasnt gone into total spacco meltdown. Aus in first in 15 mins slightly reminiscent of Lions/NZ 2005 1st test after 15 mins when it was "woah, this series is gonna be no contest, these foreign pricks got nuthin, 3-0 sweep, reduced it to just playing out the string now"

thrilling game though, doubly enhanced by having the mute button on for entire match. Running rugby start to finish, astonished the poms went for a try at the end instead of the usual NH meander around, scrum reset, flop and plop penalty-milk anti-rugby routine.

T

Tip

Hooper is pretty much playing "scrum-wing" now. Kind of an extra back with remit to get his nose into the piggies. More of an extra center than a wing. It's bothered me in the past, but like EVERYTHING Cheika does it's kind of growing on me.

Lets not dis' Horne, he's giving it 11 on the noise knob. Substitute with speed -regretfully, and only if this Aussie speedster matches Horne in attitude.

I think Hooper needs to use his speed to get to the ruck first a little more often. The Wallabies are playing Fardy on the Left and Hooper on the right, and Pocock in the middle to be in everything. With the Wallabies playing such a wide, expansive game, it's imperative that we're securing our own ball in the wider channels. We struggled to do this in the middle of the field especially.

England played very smart and took Pocock out of the next phase every time he went into a ruck (holding down, etc).

We got beaten by brain explosions tonight and poor skill execution.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This would be the team I would select for next week, assuming that Simmons is out and Horne has recovered from his concussion in time:

EDIT: replaced Pocock with McCalman
EDIT 2: a couple of words
EDIT 3: put Holmes on the bench rather than Kepu's clone :)

1. Slipper
  2. Moore (c)
  3. Kepu
  4. Mumm
  5. Horwill
  6. Fardy
  7. Hooper
  8. McCalman
  9. Phipps
  10. Foley
  11. Horne
  12. Lealiifano (gk)
  13. Kuridrani
  14. Haylett-Petty
  15. Folau
  16. Polota-Nau
  17. Sio
  18. Holmes
  19. Skelton
  20. McMahon
  21. Frisby
  22. Kerevi
  23. Hunt/Hodge

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
This notion that Hooper only runs in the backs is rubbish. Looking at the game again he did a heap of work around the ruck, and made a lot of strong runs 1-2 out off the ruck. He was one of our best.

The yellow card to Sio was just bullshit. It was the third penalty he gave away, in midfield on our ball. On what planet is that a yellow card? Fuck me Romain did a number on us.

I do think Sio collapsed that one. He was under huge pressure and dropped his outside shoulder. Don't think it deserved a yellow but Poite had no option after the lecture he had just given Sio.

T

TOCC

Agree TIP, our tight 5 get isolated far too often and the backrow was nowhere to be seen, need to secure our own ball before we can send it wide

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
It wasn't a ruck, simply a tackle and Haskell was perfectly within his rights to pick up the ball. Again, Australia has been clueless when the ball is loose on the ground.
I'm afraid that's not correct. You are right that there is no ruck, so he is not offside, but law 15 deals with the tackle specifically. He has no rights to the ball under 15.6(d):

"At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players’ goal line."

It was an error by the referee, but I'm loathe to criticise him for it.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
We lack pace on either wing and not much can be done about that at present. There were plenty inroads and half breaks made which weren't capitalised on.
England were uncompromising in a way we all expected and the Wallabies couldn't cope.
With The Cock now out for the series the pressure is even greater for the Wallabies.

Poite is mug.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
With Pocock out, that changes the whole dynamic of the backrow.

Palu isn't up to it IMO, McMahon and Gill aren't 8's.. Possibly McCalman with Houston on the bench.

Pretty much agree. They could try to make a "Gillper", for want of a better term. But I think McCalman should probably be the go.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Enough of the childish bullshit! You are all long term forum members and should know better!
tumblr_m7dwv6PH7N1qaa34so1_500.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just watching the replay now. Man Poite was worse than I remembered. Made two straight out incorrect calls which led to England's first two PGs - Itoje never released our ball carrier but he gave England the penalty, and then he gets Pocock for 'hands in the ruck' where there was no ruck formed and DP had all rights to the ball.

Exactly. But keep looking Barbs, there were quite a few more penalties that should have gone our way but didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.