• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RR - any concerns about Banks'tackling capabilities? Seemed to miss some or not be in position in yesterday's game. Otherwise, his attacking game is very exciting.

Perese is surely a future star.

Reactions: mst

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
New player signing to be announced tomorrow morning.

I wonder who?

Seriously, it better be QC (Quade Cooper) and not Maranta

Money's on Maranta. They're teasing the "new signing" lingo because they know everyone will come for Quade, but no media is interested in Maranta.

They'll release Quade's name a little closer to the test I predict

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
New player signing to be announced tomorrow morning.

I wonder who?

Seriously, it better be QC (Quade Cooper) and not Maranta

news.com.au article said Quade signing announced on Wednesday.
They never said Wednesday where though, so it could be Wednesday US time ;)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Signing announcement today. I know who I hope it is.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ok so if Maranta gets the last outside back squad (urh) this is my top flight team for Reds

1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Talakai
4. Simmons 5. Douglas
6. Tui 8. Houston 7. Smith
9. Frisby 10. Quade 12. DP 13. Kerevi
11. Sautia 15. Hunt 14. Nabuli

16. Read. 17. Faagase 18. Thor 19. Neville 20. Timu 21. Tuttle 22. Magnay 23. Maranta (or anyone one else)

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Ok so if Maranta gets the last outside back squad (urh) this is my top flight team for Reds

4. Simmons 5. Douglas
11. Sautia 15. Hunt 14. Nabuli

16. Read. 17. Faagase 18. Thor 19. Neville 20. Timu 21. Tuttle 22. Magnay 23. Maranta (or anyone one else)

That's a pretty solid lineup. My membership might actually be worth it for the first time since 2011.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully I'm proved wrong but a starting backrow of Tui, Houston and Smith doesn't exactly spell 'Premiership Contenders' to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Houston definitely needs a big offseason (probably both in terms of a break from rugby and an increase in fitness).

He doesn't look close to being an elite Super Rugby player at this point based on the first NRC game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I liked Houston's drive in the tackle. He never died with the ball and fought for every meter. I agree he does look a little off the pace (I don't know what he's been doing for the last month) but I (disagreeing with BigDog) think that backrow is a lot of ball carrying strength.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

With how up-tempo Super Rugby can be, do we think that combination in the backrow will have enough mobility to constantly hit the hits? While Gunn is bloody green I'd suggest you start him over Smithy with George covering No.7 and 8 from the bench.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
While not being one of Quade's fan boys, I pleased he back with the Reds, and I agree it quite a good looking lineup for next year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With how up-tempo Super Rugby can be, do we think that combination in the backrow will have enough mobility to constantly hit the hits? While Gunn is bloody green I'd suggest you start him over Smithy with George covering No.7 and 8 from the bench.

is it really up tempo?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We've had a lower impact, higher work rate backrow for a couple of years. Maybe our balance has now gone a bit far the other way but I'm at least happy to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm looking forward to seeing Houston and Smith in action. We do need to see how they are going though.

Also think we need to keep an eye on Simmons and make sure we are developing a decent second caller.

I'm liking DP at 12, but if we start seeing a Quade-Karevi combination building in the Wobblies, we should think about keeping it going

Good looking team.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My personal team now that all signings confirmed:

1. Slipper
  2. Moore
  3. Talakai
  4. Douglas
  5. Simmons
  6. Tui
  7. Smith
  8. Houston
  9. Frisby
  10. Cooper
  11. Nabuli
  12. Paia'aua
  13. Kerevi
  14. Laolifi
  15. Hunt
  16. Ready
  17. Fa'agase
  18. Tupou
  19. Neville
  20. Korczyk
  21. James Tuttle
  22. Taefu
  23. Magnay

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
4. Simmons 5. Douglas
11. Sautia 15. Hunt

The biggest beneficiary of the QC (Quade Cooper) signing is Kerevi, who won't shoulder as much pressure. He was shovelled the ball too much in hopes he could provide something. It should open up more for him. Stiles will go for Taefu at 12 I believe, with DP on the bench as 10/12/15 cover.

I hope they employ tactics from 2011 w/ QC (Quade Cooper), defending at fullback and encouraged to counter often. They miss that.

Frisby will have to adjust to be successful in this halves combo. Way less kicking for starters, and serving the 10 more which he is not used to. There is a risk that they will not gel for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.