• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It really doesn't look like much, if any planning went into where everyone is seated.

I can't work out who is fourth from the right in the back row between Clark and Wilkin. Anyone know?

There's a couple of kids in the front row straight out of Chatswood primary.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Skelton is six months younger than Coleman and two years younger than Arnold. He certainly has age on his side.

His continuing transition into being a traditional lock is clearly vital to his career progression.

Hopefully the stint with Saracens will put him in a good place for 2017 Super Rugby rather than leave him a bit worn out by the time the season starts. We'll have to wait and see.

Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall has left the door open for Wallaby lock Will Skelton to possibly return to the club in the future.
Following his last game for Saracens on Saturday against Toulon, McCall paid tribute to the efforts of Skelton during his time with the club.
The big Australian forward wrapped up his Saracens stint in memorable fashion, putting a last ditch tackle on Toulon’s Samu Manoa to stop a certain try in the dying moments of the Champions Cup game, guaranteeing them a home quarter-final against Glasgow in the process.
“He’s been important really because George has been injured and Maro’s been injured so he’s done a great job for us,” revealed McCall.
Skelton made seven appearances for Saracens during his time with the English club after signing a short-term deal in December 2016.
“He’s made a brilliant contribution,” McCall added. “He has very popular amongst all the players and hopefully we’ve whetted his appetite to maybe come back in the future.”

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
We'll have to see how he has developed then :) I'm pretty sure Saracens wouldn't be gilding the lily or trying to polish a turd if he hadn't really impressed them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Skelton try saving tackle being mentioned is at about 2.45 in this video.

Nothing overly flashy but certainly a situation where you'd expect a big ball carrier to crash over from that close particularly against a scrambling defence.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Skelton looked good on a slower track. He also looked fit and did some good work doing more traditional lock stuff (jumping in lineouts and thus being the head of mauls, etc.).

I'd suggest with hard work, and consistent maintenance of his current skinfolds (maybe even slightly less) he could become a second or third lineout option (probably around 5th man in the lineout).

He's showing growth in the right areas, but it should've probably been achieved before he played Super/test rugby and not after. The great thing about the formative part of your career is you have lots of time to work on stuff.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Good to see him execute a try saving tackle through excellent technique (roll the oppositions shoulder over and inwards) rather than relying on his bulk.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I can't work out who is fourth from the right in the back row between Clark and Wilkin. Anyone know?
I think it's Jamason Schultz who's just been announced in the Waratahs 10s squad. He has a QLD colts highlights video on youtube from 2015.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's Jamason Schultz who's just been announced in the Waratahs 10s squad. He has a QLD colts highlights video on youtube from 2015.

Yep, The King @nicdarveniza confirmed it last week. I should have posted it here.

I find it interesting that he appears in the official team photo for the year except there hasn't been any sort of announcement on a contract.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here's the Tahs team for the trial in Mudgee this weekend against the Brumbies.

NSW Waratahs team to play trial against Brumbies:

Tom Robertson, Hugh Roach, David Lolohea, Ned Hanigan, Senio Toleafoa, Jack Dempsey, Brad Wilkin, Michael Wells, Jake Gordon, Mack Mason, Harry Jones, David Horwitz, Irae Simone, Reece Robinson, Bryce Hegarty. Reserves: Tolu Latu, Damien Fitzpatrick, Paddy Ryan, Sam Needs, David McDuling, Matt Lucas, Andrew Deegan, Andrew Kellaway, Ryan McCauley, Jamason Schultz, Con Foley, Maclean Jones.

Interesting that the uncontracted player David Lolohea is starting.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^
DL was looking in great shape when I saw him at training - I hardly recognised him

Maclean Jones? Has he defected from the Reds?

Anybody going to the game? I'll be at the Sevens. Please give a report here if you do.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^^^
DL was looking in great shape when I saw him at training - I hardly recognised him

Maclean Jones? Has he defected from the Reds?

Anybody going to the game? I'll be at the Sevens. Please give a report here if you do.

Yes Jones has defected from the Reds. He was training with the Aussie 7s team at a time too. Perhaps a kind of Brad Wilkin situation.

Simon. from the site is going to the game and will do a match report for the blog with photos from his lovely wife also anticipated.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So there will definitely be a blog about it Reg and you will process it?

That's good because somebody else was asking if I needed a report but being at the Sevens all day and having Six Nations blogs to do I'd struggle to have time to process anything.

On Mac Jones - at least Wilkin was from NSW central West but Jones is Qld born and bred, as is Mack Mason.

I though Mason was our best back for the Aus U20s last year - he looks like a keeper.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep, The King @nicdarveniza confirmed it last week. I should have posted it here.

I find it interesting that he appears in the official team photo for the year except there hasn't been any sort of announcement on a contract.

Apparently on some sort of 'training' contract.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW U20s team to play trial against NSW Country:

Harry Johnson-Holmes, Max Stewart, Harry Chapman, Alec Corcoran, Tom Piroddi, Justin Cooper, Dom McGrath, Max Girdler, Banjo Travers, Nick Wilkinson, Sepesa Tarogi, Dan Boardman, Esera Chee-Kam, Eddie King, Tim Clements. Reserves: Cody Walker, Phil Bradford, Will McRae, Dan Matthews, Jacob Banner, Harry Mclellan, Sam Musgove, Josh Noonan, Bayley Kuenzle, James Ramm, Kepu Lokotui, Hutana Coffin, Yarribi Jaffer-Williams, Jackson Mohi.

Comments on this are in the U20s thread.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Listened to Andrew Hore (Tahs relatively new CEO) this morning, was extremely impressed.
He was clear that the sort of turnarounds in culture, structure and governance he speaks of won't happen overnight, but if the board give him the opportunity, it could be to the real long term benefit of, not just the Tahs, but NSW rugby.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fark, the Brumbies run their best available XV to work on combinations while the Tahs give a bunch of young blokes a shot and the game finishes as 53-17 Tah's way. AND the Brumbies best 9 and marquee signing is injured for the year.

I wouldn't want to be the Brumbies, and I wouldn't mind being the Tahs. Still, early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.