• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I believe he is a season or two away from being a world class lock.

Last season he began to play actually like a lock and get lighter and fitter.

It is a challenge for those physical freaks that they get there too quickly, with too many flaws their physical presence hid.

They get found out at the top level and actually need to take time to develop both physically and mentally.

I see the "Tongan Thor" in the same group, fantastic ball runner, but props need to be able to scrummage first

I think Skelton has been around long enough but I hope you are right.

The Thor will be interesting. Very big bloke and believe he is starting to scrummage really well. The problem with any bloke that size is workload around the field after he has scrummed a few times, made some tackles and had some bullocking runs. I just hope he is brought on slowly and that the mugs out there don't build the bloke up too much if he has a couple of great runs and does fuck all else for the team effort.

As said the journey will be interesting

Reactions: dru

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, I believe he is a season or two away from being a world class lock.

Last season he began to play actually like a lock and get lighter and fitter.

It is a challenge for those physical freaks that they get there too quickly, with too many flaws their physical presence hid.

They get found out at the top level and actually need to take time to develop both physically and mentally.

I see the "Tongan Thor" in the same group, fantastic ball runner, but props need to be able to scrummage first

Sorry fatprop but Skelton will never been World Class.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Skelton is six months younger than Coleman and two years younger than Arnold. He certainly has age on his side.

His continuing transition into being a traditional lock is clearly vital to his career progression.

Hopefully the stint with Saracens will put him in a good place for 2017 Super Rugby rather than leave him a bit worn out by the time the season starts. We'll have to wait and see.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The first requirement for a decent lock is an ability to win, and spoil, lineouts.

Sorry to say, I for one just cannot see Skelton suddenly developing this crucial skillset.

Maybe he should take a season off and go to play basketball.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first requirement for a decent lock is an ability to win, and spoil, lineouts.

Sorry to say, I for one just cannot see Skelton suddenly developing this crucial skillset.

Clearly his body shape is changing and he is being used more in the lineout. It is also clear that needs to continue to improve and the involvements increase.

The lineout doesn't have to become the strongest aspect of his game to become a good lock. He just needs to get to a stage where it isn't a glaring weakness.

I don't think anyone is expecting it to happen suddenly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Skelton has been around long enough but I hope you are right.

The Thor will be interesting. Very big bloke and believe he is starting to scrummage really well. The problem with any bloke that size is workload around the field after he has scrummed a few times, made some tackles and had some bullocking runs. I just hope he is brought on slowly and that the mugs out there don't build the bloke up too much if he has a couple of great runs and does fuck all else for the team effort.

As said the journey will be interesting

I hope I am right to, when I see someone trying to improve, I tend to give them some slack, I see Skelton as growing up. He suffered his first serious pro injury, didn't manage himself professionally and paid the price for a load of time. But when I see getting his shit together physically, losing the weight he needs to and looking more like a rugby player

I think both are equivalents of those young superstar backs who scored a million tries as kids, but never learned to be part of a team and often tackle.

In the forwards, throw it to the big guy, is the mantra for a long time.

But those around them catch up physically, and some learn, and others continue into their 30s doing the same shit they did as a 16yro playing in Italy or Japan.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^^

It all comes down to your mentality, how you deal with setbacks, disappointment, failure etc.

Skelton has admitted that the psychological aspect of his game is missing. He's been depressed and struggled to come back from injury.

The guy is also just too big. You can hardly blame the guy who naturally weighs 150 kegs for not being able to run around a field for 80 minutes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Skelton has admitted that the psychological aspect of his game is missing. He's been depressed and struggled to come back from injury.

For one stretch of time at the start of 2016 returning from surgery.

The year before he turned up early to preseason and was turning heads with his fitness and work ethic.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He's not a back but the only person that sounds like is Senio Toleafoa.

Israel-Folau.jpg

That was a bloody good photo - wonder who took it? :)

Yeah that was definitely second rower ST.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That was a bloody good photo - wonder who took it? :)

Yeah that was definitely second rower ST.

I should have attributed the excellent photographer. Apologies LG!

Any idea who TOCC could be referring to here:

Watched the Tahs training today for a bit, who's the massive Polynesian bloke with dreadlocks that was training in the backs, thought maybe Naiyavaro but looked a bit slimmer then him.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Clearly his body shape is changing and he is being used more in the lineout. It is also clear that needs to continue to improve and the involvements increase.

The lineout doesn't have to become the strongest aspect of his game to become a good lock. He just needs to get to a stage where it isn't a glaring weakness.

I don't think anyone is expecting it to happen suddenly.

It needs to be a lot better than a "glaring weakness", unless every other aspect of his play is world-class, and he happens to be in a team with enough other lineout options.

Big ask, innit?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Skelton has actually looked alright in the lineout for Sarries. He's being used as a 3rd option in the 4/5 spot and whilst he's a bit slow off the ground he's solid in the air and in the transfer.

I think this is probably as good as it gets for him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It really doesn't look like much, if any planning went into where everyone is seated.

I can't work out who is fourth from the right in the back row between Clark and Wilkin. Anyone know?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Lots of great locks had average lineout stats. Brad Thorn was used very sparingly in the NZ lineout; though like all their players when it was thrown to him he grabbed it. The tight head lock traditionally doesn't have to be a great jumper - his role is to anchor the tight head side of the scrum, to play tight defensively and offensively and occasionally take a throw as a surprise tactic. The loose head lock, the 6 and 8 are normally the three designated jumpers.

Skelton is additionally asked to play bulldozer on attack, because he's hard to pull down and has a lovely soft offload.

Note: I am not claiming that Skelton traditionally fulfills all those roles well, just that usually these days the TH lock doesn't have to be the lineout expert people claim. Off course, if you've got Retallick and Whitelock as your locks - no problem.

The insistence by people that forwards with certain numbers on their backs must play in one specific way gives me the yips. Read is NZ's premier lineout forward and on attack plays as a second outside centre. He's still the best 8 in the world.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah I don't think he will ever be the lineout boss (or need to be), he just has to get as good as Arnold & Douglas etc

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jeez Holloway is a big unit. So much more mass then Mumm, and a great runner also. Thinking he and Higgers should be options for 6 next season.

That McCauley kid is a large individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.