• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Start printing those '2017 Champion' T-shirts now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What a weekend in Mudgee! It's par for course for the city folk to rub shoulders with the big names every now and then but to have them all in town for 3 days and be so involved with the local community, particularly the rugby club, was simply astounding. My kids' Tahs supporter's T-shirt has been signed by just about every player that was here and I have an individual photo of him with no less than a dozen big name players. Kudos to the Brumbies too, they got very involved after the game. All the feeds around here are of people taking selfies etc with various players they bumped into down the street, there's a classic one of a couple of locals with Mumm and Sekope with a carton of Peroni under his arm.

Onto more pertinent matters, I was fortunate enough to be involved in a couple of sessions with the coaching staff and they gave some insights into how the Tahs will be changing things up a fair bit this season and we will be seeing a new and faster game plan. The big surprise was at Friday's session when Mick Byrne turned up and hosted a bit of a Q&A session. He has been training with the Waratahs but presumably will be spending time with all the Aussie franchises. Without actually saying so it seems that the objective from the ARU is to get all the Aussie teams singing from the same page and playing a similar style of game and beat each other by being the best at that rather than all playing a completely different game plan (much like the Kiwis).

As an aside, he guarantees that we will be winning the Bledisloe back soon. Bledisloe 3 obviously hurt hard, without saying whether or not he thought it was the right or wrong call, the Speight no try was a massive momentum changer, it took the wind out of the sails of a struggling team that to that point had the ascendancy over the Kiwis.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Interesting post, KOB. Great little town Mudgee, a toss-up between it and Tamworth for my fave.

It is absolutely about time that every Australian franchise started "singing from the same song sheet". With our relatively thin player resources, this is the only way forward to develop a strong national team. Any player who steps up to the Test squad should (a) have demonstrated that he has the base-line standard skills and (b) that he can play our game. The only way to do that is if the standard skills are endemic at all levels of the game. And the only way to get promoted is to excel at the game we play. Not the game that any random coach decides to play.

I have felt this way for a long time. I know others have too, but the sad truth is that individual Soup franchises were allowed to go their own way. A road that might have led to marginally better results for individual franchises, but a way to ruin for our national team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes, that's right Wamberal, he wasn't only talking about the game plans, style of play, etc, he was very focused on the importance of (and lack of) the basic skills - catching, passing, kicking, tackling, etc. And it went beyond the soup franchises, right down to club level, grassroots, etc, ensuring that all players are taught these skills the same way and corrected when they are doing something the wrong way. He used the example of a professional baseball player in Japan who did nothing but swing a bat for 5 months until he got it 100% right.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So with Rob Horne's announcement that he is heading to the Northampton Saints at the end of the season, it probably makes it an easier decision to pick Simone at 12.

It's debatable whether Simone is our best 12 option right now but I think it is plain for all to see that he will be the best option long term.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So with Rob Horne's announcement that he is heading to the Northampton Saints at the end of the season, it probably makes it an easier decision to pick Simone at 12.

It's debatable whether Simone is our best 12 option right now but I think it is plain for all to see that he will be the best option long term.

But maybe it would be better to start Horne there and bring on Simone as a finisher for several weeks to see how he goes. He has immense potential, but would be better eased in to the game - especially as game 2 & 3 are in SA against the Lions and the Sharks, probably their two best teams.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But maybe it would be better to start Horne there and bring on Simone as a finisher for several weeks to see how he goes. He has immense potential, but would be better eased in to the game - especially as game 2 & 3 are in SA against the Lions and the Sharks, probably their two best teams.

If Horne start at 11, he can defend at 12 so Foley or Folau can add value on kick return.

Assuming Robinson has one wing, starting Horne at 12 means Naiyaravoro slots onto the other wing. That doesn't give us that flexiblity (and I think Naiyaravoro is too one dimensional, great going forward, but decidedly average everywhere else - especially with the new tackle rules)

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone know what is happening with Matt Sandell? I know he re-signed for a few years and he is on the tahs website but I have not seen much more mention of him. I thought he would have been named against the brumbies or in the team photo session. Is he injured?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thanks. Who is going to take his spot then? David lolohea?
That would seem likely. With Angus Ta'avao returning from a broken leg it could be exactly the sort of serendipity Lolohea needs to crack the matchday squad and make his name in Super Rugby.

I think there is little doubt that if his NRC form had happened a little earlier he would have had a contract

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
David played colts at the Pirates with my son, they had a great victory in 2010 when they were both in the Threes team which cleaned up Uni in the GF. In those days David had a LOT of puppy fat; I was delighted to see most/all of it was gone when he ran out on Saturday.

Props do take some time to hone their skills, and a bloke like David starting to shine in his mid-20s isn't unusual. Which makes Robertson's excellent efforts last year aged 21 seem even more meritorious in hindsight. The Tahs' propping stocks look to be good for a few years. AS LONG AS THEY WORK OUT WHAT SIDES THEY'RE BEST PLAYING! :mad:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any info on Jim Stewart ?

I don't think there has been any sort of official announcement but I believe he has some sort of injury which has prevented him from continuing playing. I don't know if that is permanent or if he has a hope of returning to rugby in the future.

His contract wasn't renewed by the Tahs.

Moondog

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think there has been any sort of official announcement but I believe he has some sort of injury which has prevented him from continuing playing. I don't know if that is permanent or if he has a hope of returning to rugby in the future.

His contract wasn't renewed by the Tahs.

Can't see his photo in the squad. I know he copped a injury last season. I hope he is doing ok

Status
Not open for further replies.