• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jim Stewart broke his neck in the Shute Sheild grand final and was told he will never play again. A real shame as he was a very talented youngster.

Who to play 8 for the first few rounds? Wells? Dempsey with Hanigan at 6?

Is Holloway injured?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jim Stewart broke his neck in the Shute Sheild grand final and was told he will never play again. A real shame as he was a very talented youngster.
I hope that the rugby community makes sure Jim has plenty of opportunities to develop a career and his earning potential in the coming years. He was a strong contributor to the Scots and Sydney University rugby programs as well as being a very decent man.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I hope that the rugby community makes sure Jim has plenty of opportunities to develop a career and his earning potential in the coming years. He was a strong contributor to the Scots and Sydney University rugby programs as well as being a very decent man.

We all wish to see Jim get over what must be a severe jolt for a young man. Hopefully the rugby community have sorted out a career path for him On another note, why did Brad Wilkins get signed by the Tahs over Will Miller? Brad goes well enough however Miller has proven himself time & time again at senior rugby and Aussie 7s.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Will Miller 182cm & 88kg
Brad Wilkin 187cm & 104kg

Miller is openside size at best, shit there are 9s bigger than him

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wilkin is also almost three years younger than Miller (not that Miller is old) and when he was signed last year was almost certainly considered a development player given who was ahead of him in the pecking order.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Wilkin is also almost three years younger than Miller (not that Miller is old) and when he was signed last year was almost certainly considered a development player given who was ahead of him in the pecking order.

I know who I would pick as a 7 if my life depended on it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Age is an important attribute in regards to recruitment.

Maybe Miller would have a better shot at a contract if it was expected that the Tahs (or another team) needed a pure 7 to slot straight in.

If they're looking for someone who hopefully has a higher ceiling in a few years time (or can cover a couple of positions) then there is less chance he's the guy.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Will Miller 182cm & 88kg
Brad Wilkin 187cm & 104kg

Miller is openside size at best, shit there are 9s bigger than him

Agree, Miller is a 7 only mind you, Wilkin is not much more. I don''t think he is anywhere near 104 kgs despite what media guides might say.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

He'll be sweet, he's a 23 year old Uni-educated bloke from the Northern Beaches.

As much as this injury is cruel, life has been good to him. With head down, bum up, he could have a great career in many fields.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
dont wish to shoot the messenger however I think "schoolboy pedigree" as an attribute is a major flow in Aus rugby talent identification. Let the boys play with men to see how they match up IMO.
I agree totally, I think too many are anointed as the next big thing, for being selected in Schoolboy rep teams, not excelling in them.

Generally, I would take a proven performer against adults before a Schoolboy rockstar.
But I think in this instance,Wilkins has a higher ceiling.
But I have predicted that Millers size would count against him at every level, so maybe that just proves I'm a poor judge of back rowers prospects.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm suspecting there's something else happening, because there's no way Will Miller wouldn't have been offered a contract by one of the first franchises otherwise. Maybe he doesn't want to be away from the cows. I know people in my hometown who don't take holidays for that reason.

Mind you, it's not like Australia is struggling for opensides.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I agree totally, I think too many are anointed as the next big thing, for being selected in Schoolboy rep teams, not excelling in them.

Generally, I would take a proven performer against adults before a Schoolboy rockstar.

But I think in this instance,Wilkins has a higher ceiling.

But I have predicted that Millers size would count against him at every level, so maybe that just proves I'm a poor judge of back rowers prospects.

i think its endemic of rugby within NSW. look at the u20s program. players are selected on past schoolboy status yet others may progress faster. Miller would not look out of play in super rugby..

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Will Miller is very good, but out of all Australian open-sides with professional contracts, who would he replace? He could get a French D2 or English Championship contract at the drop of a hat.

Maybe Michael Gunn? But, the bloke is 2 years younger than Will and a Qld local.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
i think its endemic of rugby within NSW. look at the u20s program. players are selected on past schoolboy status yet others may progress faster. Miller would not look out of play in super rugby..
Yes, that's certainly been the case,but its definitely improving year on year.

Status
Not open for further replies.