• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let's not mention the fact that (bar Simmonds) all the Reds second rowers (even Rhodda) are more or less products of NSW

Sent from my FairPhone

Works for me as long as they are wearing Red. And let's not forget Matwijou. Fabulous lock, at Force now I think.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What's up with Folau being linked to the Warriors?

Why do people persist in believing these sorts of rumours? It is just lazy journalism.

The so-called "journalist" asks a fake question, based on nothing, which he knows will give him a tiny little story, because NO professional athlete will rule anything in or out in terms of future contracts.

Pathetic.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is that a guess or actually what happened?

Never believed it but found your response amusing none the less.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This story seems to be based on even less than usual.

"Folau, 27, a former Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos player, is reportedly a prime target for the Auckland-based NRL club for 2018."

They then draw on the fact that he has previously said he was open to a return to rugby league (which all players do as stating they are not open to a code switch diminishes their bargaining power).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a sign we must be getting close to the start of the season when Reds fans begin trolling other team threads.........

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
When Folau came on board we (Australian rugby) needed him and his profile badly. He didn't disappoint and frankly was probably worth the big bucks.

His performances particularly in the last 12 months + have not been to the level of his pay scale. Arguably after some of his test performances last year the bloke should have been dropped from the national team. However the man was coated in teflon and Chek didn't have the intestinal fortitude to make that less than hard decision.

I believe that failure sent a terrible message to the rest of the team and didn't help the culture within. Players are not dumbos. They know which players should get picked or dropped.

Therefore I don't think all stops should be made to ensure Israel stays at the Waratahs or Wallabies. There is talent coming through, particularly at the Tahs.

We have easy mid year tests so there is some time for another to adequately fill that 15 spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whereas the Bumblies claque never stop trolling.
Crazy behaviour by the Bunglies? Shirley not.
I know that this will come as a surprise to a Bunglies supporter, but some of us actually care about the health of the game as a whole.

Get your head out of your horse's bum.
the Bunglies
the Bunglies
The Bumblies
the Bumblies.
the Bumblies bumble
the Bumblies.
Typical Bumblies insularity.
the Bumblies
one of the Bumblies
I think I'll take a bow. Well done, Bunglies.
That's actually a pretty good Bumblies side.

giphy.gif

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
...His performances particularly in the last 12 months + have not been to the level of his pay scale. Arguably after some of his test performances last year the bloke should have been dropped from the national team. However the man was coated in teflon and Chek didn't have the intestinal fortitude to make that less than hard decision...

Therefore I don't think all stops should be made to ensure Israel stays at the Waratahs or Wallabies. There is talent coming through, particularly at the Tahs.

We have easy mid year tests so there is some time for another to adequately fill that 15 spot.

He is well worth retaining at Super and Test level.
The form slump you identify will be put behind him with the off season to fix all injuries and re-charge the motivation tank.
If the mid year tests are easy, then that's an opportunity to boost his self belief with strong performances.
He'll come good.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I actually agree with Scrubber o_O

Folau is amazing at what he does and what he does only. He does two things. He catches high balls and he beats defenders every time.

Defensively questionable, can't kick, makes terrible mistakes under pressure and lacks the rugby nous to be a real fullback. He should have been kept on the wing as he is a winger.

He should have been dropped during and after the World Cup and we should have pulled out the stops to keep KB (Kurtley Beale) as he should of been our incumbent fullback. Just as we should have pulled out the stops to keep To'omua as he should have been our incumbent 12.

His form isn't and never has been a temporary issue. He doesn't have the skill set to be a consistently great 15 (or 12,13 for the matter).

If i had the option of any of Hogg, Brown, Halfpenny, Dagg etc all would start over Folau at 15.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Folau was simply excellent at 13 last season.

His ability to beat that first defender at 13 makes for so many options for support runners, as his threat makes the other defenders stay uncommitted to cover missed tackles on him opening space for the support runners.

I expect that to only improve this season. To me he is better in that tight attack than in 20m of space

At 15 he is as much a blocking piece; have him there and the attack won't kick anywhere him because he is known to be so safe, but his kick return is solid without being spectacular but with Aus actually getting players back in support, his roll becomes catch and clear to runners in space around the chase line; so he won't be expected to run through the whole team often anyway.

I always think judging most 15s on defensive misses is bloody tough, so often they are on a hiding to nothing and Folau is a great tackler.

His weakness is his kicking, but every player has something (except the likes of Dan Carter)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau is signed until the end of 2018. Assuming he wants to remain the highest paid player with the ARU after that, you'd think he has to return to his top form over the next couple of seasons.

He is clearly the highest profile player we have and a significant part of his value lies in that profile. Whilst his injury during the RWC should have seen him benched, his ability to remain healthy over his career has been important.

Contrast to the other top paid player in Australian rugby, David Pocock who has had frequent injuries and now we are paying for him to not play in Australia for a season to keep him. Certainly Pocock is more important to the Wallabies than Folau but based on the number of games available for selection, we're paying more for Pocock.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Fatprop, i don't think his kick return qualifies as 'good'. Kick returns often involve astute kicking for field position or to relieve pressure (see Highlanders, England, New Zealand - any professional rugby team that isn't Australian). Folau can't kick. So he either passes it for someone else to return or runs. He also hesitates in the return far too much which is strange since he usually only has two viable options. Average at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.