• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
They've got a heap of 6/locks (McDuling, Mumm, Hanigan). Plus Vea is an 8 in the extended squad. They've got plenty.

Holloway has always been listed as a lock online but has never professionally played there. He's an 8, but he could also be a 6 in the Wallaby patterns.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That was it apparently. Team for next year could be decent.

Back row of Dempsey, Hooper, and Holloway sounds tasty.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Had X-mas holidays over the border in Qld. Just 24 hours in Brisbane, just long enough to pick up ever so slightly on general advertising in the media. Nothing on TV but I definitely noticed radio ad's for the Reds.

And of course the 10's.

72 hours back in Sydney, same perspective same interests same watching and listening habits. Waratahs? Nothing. Rugby generally? Nothing.

Whatever is happening with rugby promotion in Aus' most populous State, there's nothing, just nothing, chasing support in the off season. In the eyes and ears of this particular rugby-tragic, anyway.

Important? Maybe not. But after my short Brisbane sojourn, certainly comparatively disappointing.

T

TOCC

I've noticed similar trends, I think the most the Waratahs have spent on marketing in recent years was having Folau's face on the back of a few taxis.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
It's not a real issue, it's just not Rugby season. Even these forums are dead. Better to throw marketing at people when they are receptive to it.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's not a real issue, it's just not Rugby season. Even these forums are dead. Better to throw marketing at people when they are receptive to it.

This is true. It's probably a case of you have X budget and you can choose to spread it thin over a long time, or have a higher density of ads when people care about rugby a bit more.

As a case study I can't think of seeing any footy ads at this time of year either, given their season is later.

T

TOCC

even in rugby season marketing is minimal, also memberships are sold in the pre-season

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And first day back at work, I notice ads on bus stops for the Brisbane 10s. So there is at least one message out there in Sydney.

:)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Given the seriously shortened attention span of todays generations (old fogey warning!) a lot of Tah advertising now would be wasted. But the ARU should be flooding the airwaves (including big bash TV) with stuff about the Sydney Sevens. Given that the early Tah games are in SA, there should be a flood of advertising starting around week 4 & 5, hopefully on the back of some great away wins to develop momentum.

Did anyone notice that last year's winners got their SA trip over early in the season and with good results? Just hoping that it becomes a trend.

T

TOCC

So because of shortened attention spans the Waratahs would be wasting their money advertising but the ARU should be spending a motza??

Sydney Sevens Saturday and Sunday is expected to sell-out in coming days.

Reactions: dru

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sydney Sevens will sell out soon, so no point wasting $$$ on advertising.

The reason you see a lot of Brisbane 10s stuff in Sydney is because Tourism Events Queensland is a major investor, and will be pumping $$$ into interstate marketing to attract a non-QLD audience.

T

TOCC

The reason you see a lot of Brisbane 10s stuff in Sydney is because Tourism Events Queensland is a major investor, and will be pumping $$$ into interstate marketing to attract a non-QLD audience.

This is true, however the equivalent is also true with Destination NSW a major investor in the Sydney Sevens ..

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The "It's on in Sydney" campaign that Tourism NSW does is pushing it quite hard, both on FTA and Pay TV. Not seen much physical.

But no independent adverts AFAIK, whereas the 10s seems to have a significant push on its own.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also the 10s have the backing of Duco, a big event promoter. The 7s has no such backing, and is run solely by the ARU in partnership with World Rugby.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The fact or the matter is, well-targeted social campaigns is where it's at for this kind of annual sporting event.

The 'awareness' based funnel for getting purchases for TV/billboards is so long and hard to track actual ROI.

For online ads it's literally 1. see ad 2. click ad 3. buy tickets. All gathered by your friendly analytics software.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Does anyone know where I can get crowd numbers for each of the games in 2016, 2015, 2014 etc?

I'm putting together a little summin' summin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.