• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Jees they arent going to sell many of these...

Edit: away jersey 2017.

waratahs-alternate-jersey-2017-p4040-16242_medium.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I found it strange that the "Roar" had the Tahs ahead the Reds this season in their predictions.

They look to me to be in for a season of both highs and lows, but not consistent enough to be a real threat

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't know @fatprop, I think the below is a pretty handy squad with an awesome mixture of experience and seriously talented youth:

1. Kepu
  2. Latu
  3. Robertson
  4. Skelton
  5. Mumm
  6. Dempsey
  7. Hooper
  8. Holloway
  9. Phipps
  10. Foley
  11. Horne
  12. Simone
  13. Folau
  14. TQN / Robinson / Clark / Jones
  15. Kellaway
  16. Ryan
  17. Roach / Fitzpatrick
  18. Ta’avao
  19. McDuling / Toleafoa
  20. Hanigan / Wells
  21. Gordon / Lucas
  22. Hegarty / Horwitz
  23. TQN / Robinson / Clark / Jones

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd be surprised if Simone walks straight into the 12 jersey. I expect he'll have to work his way into it.

Also, we don't have the locks to win the competition. Simple as that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't know @fatprop, I think the below is a pretty handy squad with an awesome mixture of experience and seriously talented youth

It is getting the consistency that concerns me, not that they don't have great potential.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The term is "realistic", dads army looks like pretty good for this season

I agree Fatprop. Those who expect us to top the conference have made a huge assumption - that the rookies in the team will all uniformly step up to test level together. I think one or two will but I am not convinced they all will; and that is what is required if the Tahs are to win the conference and maybe the final. From the team Michael has posted, IMO our best team for the early rounds with one exception, I see a number of weaknesses unless there has been considerable improvement from last year:
  1. Latu could be a huge strength in a very strong front row, but he has to concentrate on dominating the contest and putting away the niggle. Already the referees have him tagged and are watching his every play. He has the skills but the doubt is about his football maturity.
  2. Our locks have some top notch skills but in a couple of areas have clear deficiencies: Skelton's scrummaging techniques should have been sorted by now, Mumm lacks grunt in the tight work and is a better 6. McDuling and Tolealofa are a long way short, though I do think McDuling could step up this year. But Simmons, Douglas and Neville/Tui are much stronger.
  3. Dempsey in the backrow worries me, not because he's not extremely talented but because the loose trio lack balance. Hooper is brilliant but his type of brilliance requires the rest of the backrow to be able to work hard at the coalface, particularly as Skelton and Mumm have tight deficiencies. At 6 we need a Kaino-type to balance, but there isn't one available.
  4. Simone has come from nowhere but I think he'll start from the bench to earn a spot. I think they'll start with Horne at 12 and put Robinson on the wide wing and Taquele on the blind wing so he can run in the 10/12 channel (like fat bastard does for Toulon out wider).
  5. Kellaway has to make 15 his own this year. Last year he was average with a few good things done. This year average won't cut it.
I think other teams will target the Tahs in tight to expose the pack, they'll kick a lot like the Highlanders do and look to beat them with pressure. Putting pressure on Phipps usually works too.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the predictions of us topping the conference are based more on the strength of the other teams.

The Reds could be great, but are putting a lot of faith in an injury-prone 10 whose best days may be behind him and two blokes in the pack who are pushing 35.

The Brumbies have lost a host of key players and don't seem to have a 10 at all.

The Rebels and Force look likely to continue their role as cellar dwellers.

Which really only leaves us, and while we have flaws we look to have the most complete squad on paper.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hawko, I like your thoughts.

Personally I think Grey will manage the defence fine and I'm assuming that the Tahs follow a WB attack 1-3-3-1. And therefore the "balance" of the loosies has to be put in context. Two of them will be one each in the tram tracks. The third runs inside the inner pod with the locks.

This pod is key, but the sensitive thing is Skelton for me. Otherwise I think Holloway needs to step up here. Otherwise swap the pods, hard work after a scrum.

On the Reds/Tahs talking down thing. On balance I understand the Reds are looking stronger on paper, but hell, where is Aus rugby if our best franchise is the development of of previous disaster with largely untried coaching?

If Reds do prove to be on top on the Aus conference I doubt we will have any more in the finals.

EDIT: more or les what Baba said. Ditto, if Tahs top the conference, hard to see a second Aus franchise in the finals.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think one or two will but I am not convinced they all will; and that is what is required if the Tahs are to win the conference and maybe the final

These two things seem like worlds apart for me.

I think the Aussie conference is wide open but there's no reason the Tahs shouldn't be close to favourites to win it. All Aussie teams have their own problems.

It's hard to see the Aussie teams (and all the others for that matter) keeping pace with the New Zealanders again in 2017 though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's fair that the Tahs are favourites.......

They developed nicely last year after going through a redevelopment early on, and were definitely a stronger, more rounded team than the Brumbies at the latter part of the year.........

The Reds' success will come down to whether Stiles is a good enough head coach at this level.........

There's been a few Brumbies, Tahs and Canes teams over the years similarly stacked with test players that have failed to deliver........

The Brumbies still have enough of their squad from recent years to remain competitive, but it's going to rely on a lot of forward play and it's likely not going to be good enough to make the finals............

I think the Rebels will continue to be inconsistent with results, and part of that comes from having an unbalanced squad with talent stacked in few positions..........

And the Force will hopefully see some improvement, but don't have the depth to keep them to far from the bottom end of the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.