• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There seems to be truth in the rumour that the Tahs have been speaking to Mitchell. I don't really understand it personally. I think the Tahs have a ton of back three options and Mitchell is very close to being past it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah this retrospective bullshit hurts rugby development.

If he comes back on decent moolah, its decent moolah we can't use to keep 1.5-2 players in the game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't know, you can never have too much depth and Drew is still a very marketable figure.

I still remember the run he made in the Semi vs Argentina,and would wager he can still play pretty well at Super level. His injury history is worrying though, and I wouldn't want him to be given the big dollars.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would only work if it wasn't for big dollars and Mitchell was looking to return to Australia and transition to his life after rugby.

He's a great personality and very marketable as barbarian said. Maybe he has a plan to transition to a media role like Stephen Hoiles? He's certainly done plenty on the Foxsports rugby shows over the years.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That would be fantastic news for the Tahs and he should be paid commensurate with his experience not only on the field but also mentoring young outside backs, in other words, heaps.

Great move Tahs, if you get him

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
There seems to be truth in the rumour that the Tahs have been speaking to Mitchell. I don't really understand it personally. I think the Tahs have a ton of back three options and Mitchell is very close to being past it.

Thanks. I was surprised it hadn't been talked about here so that's why I asked. I think HJ thought I was fishing.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
The Tahs have signed Dave McDuling for 2017 to replace the injured Leon Power.

McDuling had a terrible run of injuries while he was with Qld, but did really well in NRC. I hope he can stay fit and healthy, he'll be a good option for the Waratahs - plenty of experience and seems like he has had some good experience offshore now which has to help his development.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
McDuling had a terrible run of injuries while he was with Qld, but did really well in NRC. I hope he can stay fit and healthy, he'll be a good option for the Waratahs - plenty of experience and seems like he has had some good experience offshore now which has to help his development.

He went to QLD when there wasn't a place at the Tahs, but he had huge potential. He was a Uni man and Bruce reported he had a huge wingspan and a great motor. Then he had a the horror injury run as you say. I think its a great signing, potentially much better than Leon Power would have been.

I'm stoked.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He went to QLD

Which never solves anything.

Not exactly the tallest of timber, but this is Super Rugby so that won't matter.

Assuming its a fight between him and Hanigan for the bench locking spot. Though Toleafoa might also get a look in.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wonderful news. Stoked he's back in Oz Sydney where he went to school and first played club rugby. A very good signing
fixed

Big/wide Dave could quite easily be a first choice for the second row in 2017. Mumm's starting to get past it and Big Willie's yet to arrive. Toleafo? Dunno.

If there's one spot the Tahs need some more talent in right now it's the second row.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Which never solves anything.

Not exactly the tallest of timber, but this is Super Rugby so that won't matter.

Assuming its a fight between him and Hanigan for the bench locking spot. Though Toleafoa might also get a look in.

Or him & Hanigan starting and Mumm & Skelton fighting for the bench!!!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Or him & Hanigan starting and Mumm & Skelton fighting for the bench!!!

Hanigan and McDuling starting will not happen, unless one wears 6 (which wouldn't be a bad idea and may happen at some point, but Dempsey deserves first shot).

They bring very similar skillsets.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
How many more squad spots are the Waratahs due to fill? I just had a look at their website and there were only 3 loose forwards listed - Hooper, Wilkin and Dempsey, with Holloway listed as a lock. Is this pretty out of date? From my memory prior to injury Holloway impressed as a number 8. I noticed that McDuling is not shown yet so maybe there are a few others not added to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.