• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
RUPA will surely have an opinion in that one....

If my practice group/firm doesn't hit budget/KPI's we still get paid, but we don't get bonuses and that's outta the juniors control. So, without a bonus, the hours we put in means I'd get more cash per hour being an Uber driver or folding clothes at DJ's.

So if RUPA has an opinion on that, perhaps we need an 'Eagle Street' Union, one who goes into bat for us 'below minimum wage slaves'!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Which (somewhat ironically) brought about the 2010-2012 period which one could describe as..mildly successful

Yeah well Torp I'm on record as saying that things only perform adequately or indeed well at our QRU when

(a) total crisis hits and, related,

(b) the QRU is consequently forced to drop its disastrous implementation of its 'Queenslanders' Good Rugby Men First and Foremost' perpetual and pervasive recruitment doctrine and thus

(c) bring in competent outsiders as change agents to fix their latest mismanaged mess.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I vote that everyone go into 2018 with 0 expectations whatsoever as well

Is there such a thing as 'minus expectations' whereby quite a lot positive has to happen before your zero expectations base line is even reached?

I think I am a 'minus expectations Reds fan' as we head blindly into 2018 and, no doubt, another late 2017 barrage of QRU hype re how 'boy, things will be different next year'.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is there such a thing as 'minus expectations' whereby quite a lot positive has to happen before your zero expectations base line is even reached?

I think I am a 'minus expectations Reds fan' as we head blindly into 2018 and, no doubt, another late 2017 barrage of QRU hype re how 'boy, things will be different next year'.

If high expectations is winning the title, low expectations is winning a few games, no expectations is not giving AF about the result or how they play, negative expectations would probably hoping they get the shit smashed out of them every week

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah well Torp I'm on record as saying that things only perform adequately or indeed well at our QRU when

(a) total crisis hits and, related,

(b) the QRU is consequently forced to drop its disastrous implementation of its 'Queenslanders' Good Rugby Men First and Foremost' perpetual and pervasive recruitment doctrine and thus

(c) bring in competent outsiders as change agents to fix their latest mismanaged mess.

This leads to the conclusion that we should always be in crisis ;)

In all seriousness, I wonder if there should be a full-on clean out of the entire board and exces (and getting all outsiders to fill the positions).

Constistent shitness definitely implies that they are major cultural problems inside the QRU.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
RH
I'm always happy to look within (the Ballymore car park) first to see if there is a Queenslander to fill the spot (on merit) and then if the cupboard is bare cast the net wider within Australia. If still bare, go AGAIN to the worldwide search.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Torp
Cleaning out the Board and Exec doesn't necessarily equate to wins on the paddock.

Players and Coaches need to take responsibility for the losses and wins, particularly when we have, on paper, a great forward pack and a half reasonable backline.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Interestingly, Toulon had 3 different Head Coaches this season (the last head coach only getting 6 games) and yet played in the French Top 14 grand final....

Maybe we should be sacking ours more often!!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Torp
Cleaning out the Board and Exec doesn't necessarily equate to wins on the paddock.

Players and Coaches need to take responsibility for the losses and wins, particularly when we have, on paper, a great forward pack and a half reasonable backline.

How long though, have we been confused by the coaching staff selection at the Reds? From the Link change-over going forward.

Reds do some good stuff. Coverage to QPR, regional, schools and women's rugby. All good. Their electronic footprint is fabulous. Love the work in streaming.

Hell the "name" list is great. The development list, on the whole is good.

But coaching? Holding on to poor records?

It's been too long now. Short interregnum with Link and otherwise, what?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
How long though, have we been confused by the coaching staff selection at the Reds? From the Link change-over going forward.

Reds do some good stuff. Coverage to QPR, regional, schools and women's rugby. All good. Their electronic footprint is fabulous. Love the work in streaming.

Hell the "name" list is great. The development list, on the whole is good.

But coaching? Holding on to poor records?

It's been too long now. Short interregnum with Link and otherwise, what?

Agree Dru. And the vast majority of the funding and marketing for many of the amateur layers you rightly note comes from Super-related income. And that income - over time - correlates closely with onfield performance.

See the massive +ve impact the Reds' 2010-12 seasons had on the QRU's finances, and now it's all in reverse mode big time.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Interestingly, Toulon had 3 different Head Coaches this season (the last head coach only getting 6 games) and yet played in the French Top 14 grand final..

You were half in jest I know, but not a bad point at all. There are a number of top sporting teams who change coaches quite quickly when it's assessed they can't deliver top results.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Torp

We've been singing the praises of this 'on paper' team for a year or more.

It's delivered the cube root of fuck all for fans.

It means zero zip nothing if the coaching resources cannot extract net winning points from it. No, not more tries, more wins.

The Brumbies with a far less good 'on paper' team than us and hinged around a totally 'ring in' makeshift 10 have done far better than us in 2017.

Reactions: dru

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Interestingly, Toulon had 3 different Head Coaches this season (the last head coach only getting 6 games) and yet played in the French Top 14 grand final..

Toulon can afford to sack their coaches. Australian teams can't even afford to pay one decent coach, let alone three.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

are the first two available?

Status
Not open for further replies.