• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Reds should win a few - if nothing else they've got two games against the Sunwolves! They'd have to start favourites in both of them, particularly the home game. There is also a home game against the Bulls that I reckon they'll be eyeing. Could sneak past the Tahs at home too, they're not exactly setting the world on fire themselves.

Will they beat last season's total of four wins? Seems a stretch, but then again there is one more game this season. 16 vs 15 last year.

In other news, while looking at Pickle's new job I happened to notice Jake McIntyre is currently #7 on the list of top point-scorers in Top 14 this season, despite Agen being second last and facing the relegation playoff. He must be starting flyhalf and first choice goalkicker, and his kicking must have improved!

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Reds should win a few - if nothing else they've got two games against the Sunwolves! They'd have to start favourites in both of them, particularly the home game. There is also a home game against the Bulls that I reckon they'll be eyeing. Could sneak past the Tahs at home too, they're not exactly setting the world on fire themselves.

Will they beat last season's total of four wins? Seems a stretch, but then again there is one more game this season. 16 vs 15 last year.

In other news, while looking at Pickle's new job I happened to notice Jake McIntyre is currently #7 on the list of top point-scorers in Top 14 this season, despite Agen being second last and facing the relegation playoff. He must be starting flyhalf and first choice goalkicker, and his kicking must have improved!

actually, unless they can pull a massive rabbit out of the hat, I see the season starting with two losses, but a home game v Bulls should produce a Win - then four away games, sorry, all losses, followed by two home games, Chiefs and Lions, sorry, Losses, then with six losses in a row, an away game to Japan - no, theres no coming back now, then Hurricanes, Highlanders, Tahs, Blues and Rebels - nothing in there for you until the final home game v Sunwovles for the second win of the season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have been looking at my social media accounts and have been impressed with the Rebels, they just appear to be more professional that the Reds.

They remind me of the Reds a few years ago, excitement is building and is building up fast for their season with new signings and a new coach.

I hope I am wrong and the Res can win a lot of games but my money is on the Rebels to win the Aussie conference, they just seem to be doing everything, including the small things right.

They must have happy members..I have not renewed mine with the Reds, and have not heard from them to try to get me back.

It is like the Reds have given up on being a professional business and are just content to be a football team that does its best on game day and think this will work in 2018.

But 2011 aside, the Reds didn't have a good year despite the excitement on the social media pre-season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
actually, unless they can pull a massive rabbit out of the hat, I see the season starting with two losses, but a home game v Bulls should produce a Win - then four away games, sorry, all losses, followed by two home games, Chiefs and Lions, sorry, Losses, then with six losses in a row, an away game to Japan - no, theres no coming back now, then Hurricanes, Highlanders, Tahs, Blues and Rebels - nothing in there for you until the final home game v Sunwovles for the second win of the season.

That’s pretty much how I see Brad’s challenge. Reds may pick up one or two unexpected, but he’ll need to work miracles to match Styles last season. Which was not good.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yeah. Never seen a game the Reds have played with Thorn, TT and Carozza coaching. Have no idea what the S & C staff can do. Have no idea what the team culture is like. Not seen a single second of them play this year. But completely written them off already.

Reactions: TSR
T

TOCC

So based on whose been seen at training, not sure whether WTS/EPS or what:

THP- Gavin Luka
THP- Salesi Manu,
LHP - Richie Asiata
Hooker - Efi Ma'afu
Centre - Tony Hunt
Fly-half - Nick Jooste
Fullback - Patrick James

Plus the rumoured signing of
Fly-Half - Ben Lucas
Outside Back - Aidan Toua

Which leaves overall:
Props:
Fa'agase - LHP
Hoopert - THP
Slipper - LHP
Smith - LHP
Tupou - THP
Luka - THP
Manu - THP
Asiata - LHP

Hooker
Mafi
Ready
Paenga-Amosa
Ma'afu

Locks
Blyth
Doughlas
Hockings
Rodda
Tui

Openside
Gunn
Smith
Wright

Blindside/No.8
Higginbotham
Korczyk
Scott-Young
Higginbotham
Timu

Scrumhalf:
Tuttle
McDermott
Sorovi

Fly-Half
Stewart
Lucas
Jooste

Centres
Feauai-Sautia
Kerevi
Paia'aua
T. Hunt

Outside Backs
Daugunu
Nabuli
Perese
James
Ngamanu
Marantea
Toua

bearing in mind some of those guys may be just training with the squad as part of the U20s program

T

TOCC

f0fcc12b7194ffea956f74bcaa2422ac.jpg

Some news on Pickle. Interesting his club us the first to announce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPS may have pulled the trigger a bit early, they’ve taken the post down

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah. Never seen a game the Reds have played with Thorn, TT and Carozza coaching. Have no idea what the S & C staff can do. Have no idea what the team culture is like. Not seen a single second of them play this year. But completely written them off already.

Then let’s hope our surprise is all to the up. I can’t imagine how my expectations could lower. Let’s see. First there has to be something in this culture stuff. The pack actually looks interesting. We still have DP and Kerevi in the backs. They are not inexperienced. Maybe we see some big opportunities for players with the desire and ability to take it. Outside of Quade (and Hunt) my greatest disappointment is the HQ initiated draw. Let’s wait. There could be bright spots.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

THP- Gavin Luka
THP- Salesi Manu,
LHP - Richie Asiata
Hooker - Efi Ma'afu
Centre - Tony Hunt
Fly-half - Nick Jooste
Fullback - Patrick James

Fly-Half - Ben Lucas

Which leaves overall:
Props:
Fa'agase - LHP
Hoopert - THP
Slipper - LHP
Smith - LHP
Tupou - THP
Luka - THP
Manu - THP
Asiata - LHP

Hooker
Mafi
Ready
Paenga-Amosa
Ma'afu

Locks
Blyth
Doughlas
Hockings
Rodda
Tui

Openside
Gunn
Smith
Wright

Blindside/No.8
Higginbotham
Korczyk
Scott-Young
Higginbotham
Timu

Scrumhalf:
Tuttle
McDermott
Sorovi

Fly-Half
Stewart
Lucas
Jooste

Centres
Feauai-Sautia
Kerevi
Paia'aua
T. Hunt

Outside Backs
Daugunu
Nabuli
Perese
James
Ngamanu
Marantea
Toua

bearing in mind some of those guys may be just training with the squad as part of the U20s program

In all seriousness, would as Reds fans would you be happy to swap Quade to either the Brums or Rebels in return for a 10 and a player or two in the back 3? A Hawera and Dargaville for Quade or Lance and English for Quade plus maybe a 3rd player to add some depth. Particularly for the Rebels it’d help kill so excess numbers in the squad and add a highly marketable player.

Just a thought, plus I think it could really strengthen both teams (which is what we want) going forward, instead of money wasted just sitting there.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
In all seriousness, would as Reds fans would you be happy to swap Quade to either the Brums or Rebels in return for a 10 and a player or two in the back 3? A Hawera and Dargaville for Quade or Lance and English for Quade plus maybe a 3rd player to add some depth. Particularly for the Rebels it’d help kill so excess numbers in the squad and add a highly marketable player.

Just a thought, plus I think it could really strengthen both teams (which is what we want) going forward, instead of money wasted just sitting there.

Rebels + QC (Quade Cooper)@10 is a bit too scary, that could be formidable. With Genia combo and the Sefa to be unleashed. Wow. Pack under Wessels will give a good platform.

Won't happen though, too much risk of egg on Reds mgmt face if genia-QC (Quade Cooper) rebels towels up the reds by 50

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rebels + QC (Quade Cooper)@10 is a bit too scary, that could be formidable. With Genia combo and the Sefa to be unleashed. Wow. Pack under Wessels will give a good platform.

Won't happen though, too much risk of egg on Reds mgmt face if genia-QC (Quade Cooper) rebels towels up the reds by 50
The way things have gone the last few months, I'd probably find myself cheering for the Rebels...

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno - maybe I’m all alone here, but I reckon you can pick a pretty decent starting side from that squad with the exception of fullback where you either pick a utility or take a gamble on switching a winger.

Even most of the bench is fine.

Of course the problem will be when injuries strike - which they always do and then there is a big drop away. The draw does make it tougher, but every game starts 0-0.

For mine - Slipper, Ready or Mafi, Tupou, Rodda, Tui, Higgers, Smith or Wright, Timu, Tuttle, Stewart, Nabuli, Paia’aua, Kerevi, Perese, Lucas

Fa’agase, Mafi or Ready, Manu, Douglas or Hockings, Korcyzk, Sorovi, CFS + 1

It does drop away alarmingly in a few spots from there so the injury Gods will need to be kind.

But Thorn has the bones of a good side there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The only time Cooper has really excelled was when Link structured a side around his strengths, I can't see Wessels this close to the start of the season having suitable structures in place, especially in the pigs..

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The only time Cooper has really excelled was when Link structured a side around his strengths, I can't see Wessels this close to the start of the season having suitable structures in place, especially in the pigs..

You asked a question though, FP. I would certainly support Quade moving within the Aus conference. And the HQ guys looking inside the empty purse strings at QRU and ARU would certainly be doing the same. There is a nonsense going on at the Rebels where fans are claiming an intent to harm other franchises by not allowing Jono a release even though apparently he is not wanted. That is BS of the highest kind and requires a Castle up their arse. Aus conference is dire this year. As an Aus rugby approach, sidelining Quade and Jonno, in one of our positions with the lightest depth, is nonsense.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

THP- Gavin Luka
THP- Salesi Manu,
LHP - Richie Asiata
Hooker - Efi Ma'afu
Centre - Tony Hunt
Fly-half - Nick Jooste
Fullback - Patrick James

Fly-Half - Ben Lucas

Which leaves overall:
Props:
Fa'agase - LHP
Hoopert - THP
Slipper - LHP
Smith - LHP
Tupou - THP
Luka - THP
Manu - THP
Asiata - LHP

Hooker
Mafi
Ready
Paenga-Amosa
Ma'afu

Locks
Blyth
Doughlas
Hockings
Rodda
Tui

Openside
Gunn
Smith
Wright

Blindside/No.8
Higginbotham
Korczyk
Scott-Young
Higginbotham
Timu

Scrumhalf:
Tuttle
McDermott
Sorovi

Fly-Half
Stewart
Lucas
Jooste

Centres
Feauai-Sautia
Kerevi
Paia'aua
T. Hunt

Outside Backs
Daugunu
Nabuli
Perese
James
Ngamanu
Marantea
Toua

Fa'agase is playing THP isn't he ?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
You asked a question though, FP. I would certainly support Quade moving within the Aus conference. And the HQ guys looking inside the empty purse strings at QRU and ARU would certainly be doing the same. There is a nonsense going on at the Rebels where fans are claiming an intent to harm other franchises by not allowing Jono a release even though apparently he is not wanted. That is BS of the highest kind and requires a Castle up their arse. Aus conference is dire this year. As an Aus rugby approach, sidelining Quade and Jonno, in one of our positions with the lightest depth, is nonsense.

I was hoping QC (Quade Cooper) and Frisby would go to the Sunwolves. I want them to be strong and have players that Aussie fans would like to see play. It is vital that with the restructure that all games in the conference hold interest for viewers, we don't want them to be another bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.