• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 Wallabies End of Year Tour (EOYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
That is very rarely true in Australian rugby. It sustained Flatley for a while, but Wallaby teams almost always pick the best kicker from the best XV, and often have kicking tests before a game to determine who that is.

and Giteau usually wins it, when the pressure is not on. And you can't tell me Robbie doesn't select his team each week not knowing who is going to be the kicker until a day before the test. Robbie came out earlier this year and said Giteau is the first choice kicker, done deal.

Reactions: DPK

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result isn't widely regarded as particularly intelligent. Let's hope Robbie finally cuts his loss on that bit of intransigence. EOYT is the perfect time to do it.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
13. Giteau

WTF? What's inspired moving the player least likely to run towards the advantage line into the back line position where running into (and hopefully through) it is most valued? Do we really need to run our wings off the park?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Two things. His involvement in tries in the Wallabies this year has mostly been drawing players when he's playing out wide (out of position for a 12) and setting up his outside man before receiving ball running an inside support line.

Secondly, a more cynical point, the Wallabies and the Coaching staff have said it officially and it is quite clear looking at the games from last years EOYT onwards, it doesn't matter what number is on his back, he'll run wherever he wants in the game.

C

chief

9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. Fainga'a
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner
15. Beale

That team, would win us the game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. Fainga'a
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner
15. Beale

That team, would win us the game.

Fainga'a is not ready for full internationals yet, he was caught out badly in defence last time and Nonu will be told to run at him all day. Cooper and Barnes for 10/12, the rest I agree with and I too believe that would win us the game, providing the forwards do not fade in the last 20 minutes.

T

TOCC

Gits at 13 is crazy talk, it neither suits him or the playing style the wallabies play

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Gits at 13 is crazy talk, it neither suits him or the playing style the wallabies play

He played in that channel vs the Boks in Perth last year. A period of about 20minutes when QC (Quade Cooper) came on, and it was our best attacking effort (in 20minutes) all last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, it has worked well from an attacking perspective drifting wide off the wide Cooper pass.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So his attacking ability fits the role: defense? Well, he's a very good tackler, but 13 is notoriously difficult to defend and after so long defending in the inside backs I think it would take even an experienced player such as Giteau several tests or a decent run in the position in the Super season to become fully comfortable in the 13 channel both attackingly and defensively.

So, IMO, not crazy talk, not by a long shot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Giteau at outside centre?

Yes, and we'll play Alexander at inside centre as a crash ball runner...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Look Konze, converting from a Inside Center to an Outside Center is one thing but Giteau is a 2nd 5/8 not an Inside Center.
Also, Beale had played a bit of 15 for Ozzie U20s and for the Rams, it would surprise me if Gitts has played any 13 so that point is void.

It's a little far fetched, you've been reading too much Dwyer and Zavos me thinks.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Look Konze, converting from a Inside Center to an Outside Center is one thing but Giteau is a 2nd 5/8 not an Inside Center.
Also, Beale had played a bit of 15 for Ozzie U20s and for the Rams, it would surprise me if Gitts has played any 13 so that point is void.

It's a little far fetched, you've been reading too much Dwyer and Zavos me thinks.

If by read you mean completely avoiding Zavos and making cursory glances towards Dwyer's writing, you're spot on.

It's clear Dean's wont do it, but it's not THAT far fetched an idea and I'd like to point out that I do still have my marbles.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
and Giteau usually wins it, when the pressure is not on. And you can't tell me Robbie doesn't select his team each week not knowing who is going to be the kicker until a day before the test. Robbie came out earlier this year and said Giteau is the first choice kicker, done deal.

I have to disagree with that one, Reddy! The kicking competition is always between the players who are picked.

Although we may be at cross purposes. I thought you were saying that Giteau is picked because he is the number one goal kicker. That's unlikely to be true, otherwise we would never have pre-match kicking competitions.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If by read you mean completely avoiding Zavos and making cursory glances towards Dwyer's writing, you're spot on.

It's clear Dean's wont do it, but it's not THAT far fetched an idea and I'd like to point out that I do still have my marbles.

Yeah I was just taking the Mickey. Look maybe Gitts at OC would be so bad if he didn't have a ghastly crabbing habit and we had a big mofo inside center but we have neither.

That is my rationale.

Status
Not open for further replies.