• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Rnd 1 Reds v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leftside

i think that the reds really lacked a true scavenger today...quirk played well but not as a 7; he doesn't have the pilfering ability or the speed to the breakdown that the reds really need. this is the reason why the reds played so poorly, they kept getting slow ruck ball and this nullified any attempts to play their expansive attacking game.

maybe time to give gill a go? although putting him in against the tahs is a tough ask...

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
The reds didn't play as well as they could have due to a number of factors

- The big back row is in preparation for next weeks big game. Taking a gamble to reduce the points won by this week in order to better chances of winning next week. It just worked.
- Force played "scrap ball" constantly aiming to spoil ball.
-35 degree heat and ridiculous humidity. Okay I was in the stadium and it was bad enough. Running on the field must've been worse.
- average rustiness from first game of the season
- Force played well

Expect it to be very close at sydney next week.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Aidan Toua is rapid.

Thought JOC (James O'Connor) was quality apart from the kick out on the full, he looked shattered after his run.

Quade was pretty average with some poor decisions. Rod davies showed some steel in defence I havent seen before. Hynes was dominant in defence on a lot of occasions but I'd like to see Toua given a run at 15

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Was it in anticipation of next week? Since when was that a good idea? I woulda thought winning the game in front of you would have been a better one

Perhaps it was more about taking on a smaller force back row this week?

Whichever way - if you're gonna pick them, play to them especially in 37degress

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Red scrum struggled against a scrum that got repeatedly monstered just a week ago. I don't think the Force tight five ate spinach all week, I reckon its just an indication that the Red front row is just not up to it. The penalty for hand on the ground came when the Red prop was going full speed in reverse and the Force prop put his hand on the ground to stop doing a face-plant. Very poor reffing; I don't think Smith(?) will get another gig for a while. Did the prop pull back and dud the ref or was he just totally outplayed?

As suggested earlier in the week, Link picked the pack for this game with his mind set on next week. Now he's got a lot of thinking to do. I think he'll move Horwill up to 4 and bring in Higgers, give Robinson a run, but what to do with Houston, who didn't cover himself with glory? Holmes has to start over Daley and they need to bring a THP onto the bench for cover so Daley is out. But that still leaves question marks everywhere. Glad I'm not Link, he's got huge problems and he's used up a season's worth of luck in just one game.

He knows it too. There was a shot of his face near the end of the game and he looked so angry I almost had to turn away. It won't be much fun on the training paddock or in the rooms this week.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Aidan Toua is rapid.

Thought JOC (James O'Connor) was quality apart from the kick out on the full, he looked shattered after his run.

Quade was pretty average with some poor decisions. Rod davies showed some steel in defence I havent seen before. Hynes was dominant in defence on a lot of occasions but I'd like to see Toua given a run at 15

Could Toua shift in to 10 on defence as Hynes has been doing?
Or does selecting him at 15 mean Quade has to do his own dirty work?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tough game for the Reds I don't know who thought it was a good idea to play a late afternoon game in Brisbane in the middle of February but it was way too hot to be playing a game of rugby.

Good conditions for the Force team who were never really going to be throwing the ball around anyway so with their quick backrow it was all about playing the spolier & jumping on Reds mistakes & it nearly paid off.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
He could but he is younger than Quade and defence isn't his biggest strength.

Would probably have to keep quade at 10 on scrums and let him learn how to defend.

Hynes was solid but he didnt return many kicks and that Is one of Aidan's best skills

W

Waylon

Bad loss for the Force, could cost them a finals berth, against a team that gets far better press than the quality of their squad. Forwards fantastic, as was Rabs, very good by Sheehan, back three very disappointing - way too many errors from Shep. Depth a problem - one injury (Ripia) and the centres become ordinary. Force will be better with Ripia at 10, Rabs at 12 and Inman at 13. I think the Force's replacement front row did far better than expected, which is encouraging.

Basically, the Reds won it when Sharpie went off and Wykes gave away a stupid soft lineout penatly which led to Fainga'a try. Although the pedantic little ref didn't help, penalising Force scrum when they were clearly dominant 10m out. How did that scrum get re-set 4 times after Force had won a scrum penalty seconds earlier? The Force elect not to take the three on offer and, what, are going to fuck up the next scrum?

Referees were the kids that everybody flicked snot at at school. I hate them. Scrum penalties are a toss of the coin. It's a joke

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A great effort from the Force and the "might-have-beens" will be buzzing out west.

Was very disappointed in Chambers, with and without the ball.

I see a case for Toua starting on the wing next week and Diggers to 13.

And they have only 6 days before the Tahs game and the Tahs have two extra days rest.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
Bad loss for the Force, could cost them a finals berth, against a team that gets far better press than the quality of their squad. Forwards fantastic, as was Rabs, very good by Sheehan, back three very disappointing - way too many errors from Shep. Depth a problem - one injury (Ripia) and the centres become ordinary. Force will be better with Ripia at 10, Rabs at 12 and Inman at 13. I think the Force's replacement front row did far better than expected, which is encouraging.

Basically, the Reds won it when Sharpie went off and Wykes gave away a stupid soft lineout penatly which led to Fainga'a try. Although the pedantic little ref didn't help, penalising Force scrum when they were clearly dominant 10m out. How did that scrum get re-set 4 times after Force had won a scrum penalty seconds earlier? The Force elect not to take the three on offer and, what, are going to fuck up the next scrum?

Hmm where to start with this tripe.

Why don't you educate us as to which part of the Reds team is lacking in quality. Horwell? Higginbotham? Simmons? Van Humphries? Genia? Cooper? Digby? Hynes? The Fiangia boys? etc?

The Force played out of their skins. The Reds played like crap. The Reds were still good enough to win. That says it all.

Next game please.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That really was the lowest standard of reffing i've seen in a long time.

I really disagree, the scrums were great after he insisted the two front rows could and would touch the shoulders before engae

Status
Not open for further replies.