• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 S15 Semi Stormers vs Saders @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Some alarm bells should be ringing amoung Bok supporters, the Lions, Cheetahs, Sharks and Stormers scrums have all been destroyed at various stages this year, while the Bulls have been solid without dominating their opponents.

Sharks scrum looked ok against the Crusaders last week, and when Smit settled in (after being subbed on) even looked dominant.

One thing though, the loosies for both sides were just not bound. Especially noticeable when the Crusaders scrum was destroying the Stormers, the attacking flanks would unbind to grab/block the defending flank.

Joubert did a good job with one issue. The Crusaders are still getting away with blue murder at the breakdown. They have players creeping around the sides of the ruck to slow the opposition ball, they have the first tackler stand up or roll away just far enough to impede arriving opponents to give that half second for their counter ruck or pilfer to get going.

Exactly. Difficult for the ref to ping because it looks accidental.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds have been doing the exact same thing all year...

Not really Slim. The Reds idea of slowing the ball is simple hands in the ruck. It is what they get penalised at least two or three times for each game and get away with a few more times. The advantage the Reds have been getting at the breakdowns is in their very fast line speed in defence and the 90-95% tacklers at 12 & 13. The opposition is behind the advantage line getting put to ground making their piggies work very hard to get bak to secure their own ball and it much easier for the Reds moving forward to the rucks. This sort of defence may well be the reason why Pat Lam went for the go wide early tactics with the Blues to try and outflank the Reds, and th few times they moved it quick enough with accuracy they did indeed get some space. I still think they would have been better off pick and drive 1 or 2 off the ruck which would have been more to the strngths of their pack.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blou the Brutes dont have Mossie in 13. Its not about starting they offer him a small fortune. We will see if WP can match that. Depend if WP three Bok midfielders will stay. Wont be good for Sadies game to play high kick en charge.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Joubert did a good job with one issue. The Crusaders are still getting away with blue murder at the breakdown. They have players creeping around the sides of the ruck to slow the opposition ball, they have the first tackler stand up or roll away just far enough to impede arriving opponents to give that half second for their counter ruck or pilfer to get going.

What's the alternative? Stay where they are and get pinged for not rolling away??

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blou the Brutes dont have Mossie in 13. Its not about starting they offer him a small fortune. We will see if WP can match that. Depend if WP three Bok midfielders will stay. Wont be good for Sadies game to play high kick en charge.

This is one of your all time gems Paarl.

So you want him to play only defense because that is mostly what thew Cape backs seem to do these days.

Go look at the stats Paarl and tell me which of the Bulls and Stormers have scored the most tries over the last few years.

He has a better chance of scoring in a Bulls pattern than at the Stormers, who have no attack structure to speak of. Go up North son, you'll get put in space.

With that roster of players you guys should have scored way more points but I reckon your coaches are to blame. Fucks knows what tactics they tried to play on Saturday but it was a fucking disaster. I would be baying for blood if I were a Stormers fan.

PS I really hope Snor sees the light and starts JdJ ahead of JdV who looks to be a spent force.

PS I will put money on Sadie scoring more tries from 13 at the Bulls than Mossie or anyone in 13 in the Cape. In fact I'll give you 2:1.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Watched this game last night, the similarities between the two games were quite bizarre

Intercept try each to start, individual brilliance each for the second.

The other sides never looked in it.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Watched this game last night, the similarities between the two games were quite bizarre

Intercept try each to start, individual brilliance each for the second.

The other sides never looked in it.

I thought the same thing, going to be a cracker this weekend.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I didn't see all of the game, but enough to determine that the Cru really did dominate. They were even able to attack one of the Stormers traditional strengths, the line out. Very impressive from them and strangely reserved from the Stormers. Perhaps they got a touch of stage fright or something, because they weren't the team we saw earlier in the season. With that said though, they did get knocked off at Newlands by both the Cru and Reds this year, which I wouldn't have predicted.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You know what I mean. Don't be wilfully blind.

No, I don't know what you mean. I know what you're talking about but I don't think players have any other option for 2 reasons:

1. They want to get back in the defensive line.

2. If they don't 'roll away' they'll get penalised.

Unless we expect them to commando crawl back on-side.....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not really Slim. The Reds idea of slowing the ball is simple hands in the ruck. It is what they get penalised at least two or three times for each game and get away with a few more times. The advantage the Reds have been getting at the breakdowns is in their very fast line speed in defence and the 90-95% tacklers at 12 & 13. The opposition is behind the advantage line getting put to ground making their piggies work very hard to get bak to secure their own ball and it much easier for the Reds moving forward to the rucks. This sort of defence may well be the reason why Pat Lam went for the go wide early tactics with the Blues to try and outflank the Reds, and th few times they moved it quick enough with accuracy they did indeed get some space. I still think they would have been better off pick and drive 1 or 2 off the ruck which would have been more to the strngths of their pack.

Numerous times this year Reds players have been loitering around offside at the ruck, or have been flopping back in from an offside position... the Faingaas are the two main culprits here...

The first penalty from the weekend went against the Blues had A Fainga'a (I believe it was Fainga'a) not making any real attempt to move out of the way to allow the Blues forwards to come in and protect the tackled player... Kaplan ended up giving a penalty to the Reds for not releasing...

I noticed especially when they played the Brumbies that on numerous times they were doing the AB/Sader offside trick around the breakdown that Australian fans have been crying foul of for a while...

I don't think they will have any case for complaining if the Saders get away with it on the weekend as they themselves have been practising the dark arts...

I'll be happy if the Wallabies can get away with it...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is one of your all time gems Paarl.

So you want him to play only defense because that is mostly what thew Cape backs seem to do these days.

Go look at the stats Paarl and tell me which of the Bulls and Stormers have scored the most tries over the last few years.

He has a better chance of scoring in a Bulls pattern than at the Stormers, who have no attack structure to speak of. Go up North son, you'll get put in space.

With that roster of players you guys should have scored way more points but I reckon your coaches are to blame. Fucks knows what tactics they tried to play on Saturday but it was a fucking disaster. I would be baying for blood if I were a Stormers fan.

PS I really hope Snor sees the light and starts JdJ ahead of JdV who looks to be a spent force.

PS I will put money on Sadie scoring more tries from 13 at the Bulls than Mossie or anyone in 13 in the Cape. In fact I'll give you 2:1.

You have already waisted Stefan Dippenaar from Moorreesburg, Pretorius from the Lions and now you want Sadie to go the same route? Your problem is Meisiekind in 12, he never pass the ball or at least the few Morne or FdP dont send up in the sky. The Brutes dont need midfielders , only wings who can chase all day. The Brutes are fucked for the next year or two, they have to start all over again and have to poach because they seem to dont have their own player stock. Your golden age or all gone now.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ever heard of the phrase "Roll away"? Maybe NZer's can't hear that.

The original comment was that when the Crusaders roll away then they impede the play to which my reply was that they have to roll away to get back in the defensive line and so that they don't get penalised.

Now I see that you actually want them to belly crawl back to the d-line or commando roll their way there.

Should they also tie one arm behind their back and maybe wear a blindfold as well??

Honestly - people complain when they don't roll away and then complain when they do......

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
The original comment was that when the Crusaders roll away then they impede the play to which my reply was that they have to roll away to get back in the defensive line and so that they don't get penalised.

Now I see that you actually want them to belly crawl back to the d-line or commando roll their way there.

Should they also tie one arm behind their back and maybe wear a blindfold as well??

Honestly - people complain when they don't roll away and then complain when they do......

I think the issue is more the fact that a surprisingly large number of Crusaders tacklers / ruck joiners end up in the position needing to roll away in the first place. Players arriving from the opposition are hindered from joining the ruck effectively, even if just for a second, allowing Crusaders a better chance of pilfering or at least slowing quick ball.

This isn't limited to one team, but does seem to be more common and effective from certain teams.

It would be very interesting to have an honest discussion with someone involved in (for example) the Crusaders franchise. Would love to know if this is coached at that level or just skills picked up as part of playing rugby in NZ, or just all in the imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.