• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
So was there any reason why Joubert conveniently forgot that knocking the ball on to your team mate is a penalty, when I think Reid knocked on to Nonu after a kick off but pulled Phipps up for claiming one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) dropping the ball?

Obviously, because he ruled that Read did not touch the ball or Nonu was behind him. Rightly or wrongly. Phipps was just a no brainer.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
in regards to no drop goal from the Wallabies at the death,the pick and drives were directed to the right of the posts,there were no left footed kickers to have a go

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just wish we had taken a drop goal & the game had ended on our terms & not theirs. Harris or Beale should of stepped up the moment we got in the 22 even if they missed at least it ended with us having a shot at glory.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Teams should go for the drop goal before the siren goes, if you miss you still get the ball back! (law should be changed for that exact reason)

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cory Jane's would have been nice, foot on the line though.
]

Sure about this? I only saw it in full speed but thought he was just in.

Anyway, the only way it was not a try is if Jane's foot was out when he had his foot close to the line when he first tapped the ball. And if that was the case, then no try was correct.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that it wouldn't have mattered whether or not he touched it as the ball crossed over the line in the air?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that it wouldn't have mattered whether or not he touched it as the ball crossed over the line in the air?

If the ball was not across the plane of touch, then yes it doesn't matter where his foot was. I just remember watching and thinking it should have been awarded. We need a replay to judge step by step.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
]

Anyway, the only way it was not a try is if Jane's foot was out when he had his foot close to the line when he first tapped the ball. And if that was the case, then no try was correct.

Not really. I don't have IQ (Foxtel) unfortunately so it's not recorded but I'll wait and see the replay on youtube. From memory he taps it twice and then gathers? I think the second one might have been the issue.

And if it is like Slim mentioned and the ball went over the 'plane' above the line then it doesn't matter anyway. Would be no try.

I went looking for some early replays of the highlights, not up yet. There's only the kid flipping the bird in the crowd (funny bugger), and Higgs losing his boson particle again.

Really weird this one, they're like sneaky love taps. Really soft and whatever the citing officer says and a subsequent judiciary would be a lottery.

This is what I say to draws..

..extra time please :)

D

daz

Ticker and resolve. If only the Wallabies had played like that from the first test 2012.

I can handle the injuries, that is part and parcel of the game. But to just have a crack, well, that is all I ask.

Ball in hand most of the game too. Yay!

Only real issue: why weren't we smart enough to just have a crack at the field goal? 27 phases and nothing? That is a bit off.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
A LOT of heart in that wallabies side. I don't know whether it was good game to watch at home, but live it had a hell of a lot of intensity in the feeling in both the players and the crowd. (Kudos to the kiwis near me that sang both national anthems - that's pretty classy stuff tbh)

Higgers will get a couple of weeks for sure, but probably was sent out there with a mission to niggle, and niggle he did. At least he didn't look like he was actually trying to hurt Richie, just rile him up.

Wallabies never looked like they were setting up for the drop goal, but given how Joubert was riffing the breakdown all game, I guess it is understandable. All blacks - didn't look like they had done in recent weeks. Had to have an off night sooner or later.

Lithuania's record remains intact, <-- greatest team never to have won a World Cup? :p

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Actually, I was correct.

Once the ball crosses the 'plane' of the touchline, it is out of bounds.

If so I unreservedly apologise - time for me to get out the rulebook again.

I've never seen the rule enforced that way though, I've often seen players catch and juggle the ball over the touchline without the ball being "in touch".

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Actually, I was correct.

Once the ball crosses the 'plane' of the touchline, it is out of bounds.

All I can find on the IRB website is:
The ball is in touch when it is not being carried by a player and it touches the touchline or anything or anyone on or beyond the touchline.
The ball is in touch when a player is carrying it and the ball carrier (or the ball) touches the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline. The place where the ball carrier (or the ball) touched or crossed the touchline is where it went into touch.
The ball is in touch if a player catches the ball and that player has a foot on the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline. If a player has one foot in the field of play and one foot in touch and holds the ball, the ball is in touch.
If the ball crosses the touchline or touch-in-goal line, and is caught by a player who has both feet in the playing area, the ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal. Such a player may knock the ball into the playing area.
If a player jumps and catches the ball, both feet must land in the playing area otherwise the ball is in touch or touch-in-goal.
A player in touch may kick or knock the ball, but not hold it, provided it has not crossed the plane of the touchline. The plane of the touchline is the vertical space rising immediately above the touchline.

http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/5/19/169/during-the-match/touch-and-lineout/definitions/#clause_169

I can't find anything in that which supports your case.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
]

He was a full meter outside the second time he touched it...almost in the stands.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Higgers will get a couple of weeks for sure, but probably was sent out there with a mission to niggle, and niggle he did. At least he didn't look like he was actually trying to hurt Richie, just rile him up.

his way of saying...'why didn't i get a mention in your book?'

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
why did we sub cummins for schmoo? he was having a cracker.

And I probably would have taken huggers off instead of douglas - he was making more impact i reckon(and when will higgers stop trying to stand in tackles??). Gill did well when he came on.

Status
Not open for further replies.