• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I felt that the game was a proper test battle. Sure there were no tries, but the whole game was nailbiting. All 44 players gave it their all and left nothing out on the field. They did both the Gold and Black jerseys proud. Considering the heat up here, the game produced highlighted the passion displayed by both teams.

A bit bummed by the draw, as the Wobs had the chance to take a drop goal but never did. However, as much as we whine about the Wobs at the moment, they seem to be one of the only teams (when they want to) of taking to the Blacks. Either that, or it is the Suncorp factor! Yeah, we aren't going to always win against the Blacks, but it is good to see a passionate young team take them to the limit.

Having said that, the AB's were slightly off. We could have been slaughtered, but we weren't. The guys on the pitch did a fine job last night.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
God I was freaked that he chose the scrum, one slipped bind or fold and you lose the game. Most captains I'm sure would tap, he obviously wanted a bit of space to operate though. Also, Liam Gill while giving a penalty away, I'm sure the kid is smart enough to realise that 60-70 metres out it wouldn't hurt them too much after full time. Although he was in the wrong, forcing a holding on would've given them a winning penalty. Ben Smith might have made his break off the subsequent quick tap?

Nail biting stuff at the end there. I was actually quite surprised that Carter missed the drop goal. He's done it a lot of times now, against SA last week and won us the second test against Ireland. I personally couldn't give a stuff that it was Sharpies last home game, I still wished it went over. Just because you're a good bloke doesn't mean I don't want you to lose. Brian O'Driscoll didn't get his fairy tale. While the draw might have been a fair result I would still love an ugly undeserved win over that (Ireland 2). lol.
No way was Joubert going to give us the game by awarding a scrum penalty to the Wobs.
The question is whether McCaw came to that conclusion or whether he wanted to win more than eh cared about losing? We'll never know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No way was Joubert going to give us the game by awarding a scrum penalty to the Wobs.
The question is whether McCaw came to that conclusion or whether he wanted to win more than eh cared about losing? We'll never know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly, same ref that froze and refused to give the French a penalty in the RWC final. Wasn't gunna do it last night either. It took a blatantly obvious flop from Kepu to get a penalty and even then you could see him hesitate a bit.

K

kbw

It was refreshing to finally be proud of the Wallabies again.
Yes I would have liked to have won, but at least there was some decdent things going on.

I would really like them to stop this replacement nonsense though.
Why should a coach be able to replace a winger just to give someone a run ?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why should a coach be able to replace a winger just to give someone a run ?

Ewin Mckenzie explains that perfectly. Big part of the Reds since he has arrived.
Would you like to be that bloke chosen for the Wallabies not getting a run week after week. Killing yourself at training just sit on the bench waiting for a injury.You would start getting the shits and become a unhappy player.

Its very important that everyone that works hard through the week at training gets game time. One thing that Ewin does well, so its something you may want to get used to when Link becomes the next Wallabies coach.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
One conclusion I drew from the game - every time we play the All Blacks in Australia, it should be at Suncorp.:)

Certainly something to be said for playing there early in the series. More chance of the series being alive later. Or of debunking the idea that the wallabies only get close in dead rubbers.

D

daz

Certainly something to be said for playing there early in the series. More chance of the series being alive later. Or of debunking the idea that the wallabies only get close in dead rubbers.

I did make the point on twitter during the game that it seems the Wallabies were following a "horses for courses" approach they have made almost their own; they show up after the live tournament is over and the silverware has already been handed out.

Harsh? Yeah, maybe. Like them to prove me wrong soon, though.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
It seemed to me that the Hooper sin bin penalty kick was taken ten metres in from touch and ten metres closer to the posts than where the offence occurred (and not where the ball landed from the All Black players kick either). Have I got that completely wrong or is the penalty allowed to be moved?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I wondered that too Lyall. The ball was kicked on the touchline (Hooper's tackle took the kicker well over the line from memory) and landed only a few metres infield. Why was it taken 15m in?

D

daz

McCabe has some really enormous flaws and it's pretty horrible that he is a starter in the national team side when he has the skill set of a schoolboy with a nasty flu.

Well, that means he still has more skill than any of us.

You have taken my post out of context. I was saying that it is unfair to target McCabe as a poor restarter in the game on the weekend given that nearly everyone else made an unforced error as well.

The debate on McCabe as a Wallaby has been done to death in other threads.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
McCabe has some really enormous flaws and it's pretty horrible that he is a starter in the national team side when he has the skill set of a schoolboy with a nasty flu.
He wasn't Robinson Crusoe in the 'basic errors' department, as Daz says, but any negative comments about player shortcomings and mistakes have been shelved by me for this game in light of the enormous commitment shown by every player that got a run last night, and the result that they were able to get against the undisputed World No. 1 side.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On a positive note, I was glad to see the Wallabies......... FINALLY......... utilise McCabe in a couple of backline moves.

McCabe generally attracts the extra defender(s) due to his strong ball running, and so the Wallabies either have him bash it up, or used as a decoy.

But finally, and it's what the Brumbies did so well this year, is they had Beale pass it to McCabe, who took it forward and attracted a couple of defenders, and then he passed it to Beale who looped around to create the overlap.

And they did it more than once! Huzzah!

Mixing it up. Simple stuff.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

That's over the top.

He's a hard running and hard hitting centre - see Nathan Grey and Dan Herbert. They use a certain skillset that others dont and vice versa. He brings something this backline sorely misses without Morty

Status
Not open for further replies.