• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
there's only 1 super 15 player there, a lot of the English guys have already played Premiership rugby and all of them are signed to a club.
There is actually a few more, Jordaan and du Toit played for the Sharks, Willemse for the Lions.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
that is true, but hardly much game time to say an Etzebeth or Gill which are the type of players I'm referring to. I don't count Chris F'Sautia a super rugby player.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
that is true, but hardly much game time to say an Etzebeth or Gill which are the type of players I'm referring to. I don't count Chris F'Sautia a super rugby player.
I'd say Jordaan was a starter for the Sharks and put him with Etsebet. He and Ginga looked lost yesterday. Most of the other SA is full time professional players with probvincial contracts and will play CC , premier and u21 rugby this year.if this compare to the Pom clubs.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
In the first Australian squad versus Scotland, there was a player raised in WA, another from Sth Aust and another from Vic. Don't think that's happened before.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
In the first Australian squad versus Scotland, there was a player raised in WA, another from Sth Aust and another from Vic. Don't think that's happened before.

Who was from SA? SA actually have pretty good participation numbers and quality of play considering their population.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Big Holloway looked pretty good in the forwards for mine. Quite mobile, made many strong runs. As did young Curtis Browning.

In the backs I was suprised how well Frisby went at fullback, he was oustanding in the first half, but then started making mistakes in the second. Godwin didn't really impress me that much, his kicking game looks awkward and nothing special about his play making. UJ looked pretty decent when he came on, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get a game at 10.

From the highlights I've seen he seemed to be able to make the right decisions at the right time. Took on the defence directly and was able to offload setting up a try. His pass to Frisby was precise. Didn't see any footage of him kicking but seems solid enough. A 5/8 that can underplay his hand sometimes is a better prospect than one that takes centre stage.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
From the highlights I've seen he seemed to be able to make the right decisions at the right time. Took on the defence directly and was able to offload setting up a try. His pass to Frisby was precise. Didn't see any footage of him kicking but seems solid enough. A 5/8 that can underplay his hand sometimes is a better prospect than one that takes centre stage.
that's what I like so much compared the the guy that replaced him. His first thought was to involve others where as every time his replacement got the ball he tried the step first and foremost which If I'm correct he never made a break.

And for all the talk about his kicking yeah he had an off day not all where the easiest to kick. I dont hear anyone talking about the miss from directly in front from the replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Godwin was an excellent facilitator and a very poor kicker off the tee, but I don't remember an opinion either way on his place kicking.

Kickers have bad games sometimes, I remember someone saying only a month ago that he saw Zac Holmes play once and he was a terrible kicker. He's been pretty flash and maybe on his day Godwin will be too. Alternatively, maybe Frisby should kick.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
What a disappointed performance by the Bokkies. Dawie Theron and Brendon Venter looked like gathering that match 15 for the first time before kick off. Sorry to see Ginga totally lost in that bunch of dose. The Brute scrummy looked totally out of his league. Congrats to the Irish tho, they played well and deserve their victory. Cant see our lot getting back from this thrashing.

Have just had a chance to watch the game. I thought it might have been a fluke, but Ireland was magnificent in the first half. Ahead 13-3 at oranges they looked like title contenders, if you can do that from looking at one game, and you probably can't.

They were quicker to the breakdown, supported the ball carrier like professionals, played high tempo when they had the ball, and slowed the Bok ball down legally. The Bok backs hardly ever got the pill.

I was looking for the traditional Bok forward bashing but they seemed like they were trying to play high tempo themselves, against their nature, and paid the price.

The Boks were better in the second half and got to 16-16 with the boyos flagging a bit, but a 2nd charge down try to Ireland got them ahead again and they held on.

The set pieces of the Boks were not of their usual standard especially the lineout - and not just their throwing. They fluffed one near the end of the game 5 metres out and had to forgo a lineout drive for a winning try. Ironically they then got a bad call in a scrum which had became dominant, too late.

In the end they were beaten by 80 minutes of Irish commitment. Typical was the flooding of the ruck in the last seconds of the game to kill the ball.

I thought the Ireland outhalf, Hanrahan, was superb and both of their scrummies were better than their rivals. Their 7 and 8 were magnificent in different ways and it doesn't do any team harm to have a 12 called Horan.

Yeah PB - the Bok scrummie had a bit of a shocker, but it won't be the last time in his his career. The important thing is how he deals with it.

Little brother Jantjies looks like he's going to be a fine flyhalf. He got charged down a couple of times, once for a try, but he showed a good temperament by not being fazed by it. His easy goal kicking style is going to help him score a lot of points.

I didn't realise that Jordaan was so young as I liked him as a Super player when he got a chance this season. He should have had the ball in his hands more.

Ireland is playing England next and that game will be a cracker. Players have to be rotated in these tournaments to spread the load with a short turnaround and I imagine that England has more depth. But England didn't impress me much although they won big against Italy; so I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland won again.

Nor would I be surprised if they lost by having to rest some of their best players, nor if the 3 top teams in the pool won the same number of games. Bonus points would then likely decide the ranking issue, but it could go down to the next level - who won the game between the two teams who were otherwise tied on the ladder.

This pool was always going to be tough but Ireland's win has made it the Pool Of Death.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Ireland has no depth at 3. actually they have no real depth period and so I dont think they can front up again against England on just 3 days rest.

The big difference from being monstered by England at scrum time in the U20 6Ns was that this time against the SA, Ireland has a really good TH in Furlong. The kid got the better of two Bok LH, one of whom starts for the Stormers week in and week out. The Irish set-piece gave them a foothold in the game that they wouldn't relinquish.

Hanrahan, the Irish 10, only started because Jackson (Ulster's 10 in the HEC final) cried off on the day of the game. Hanrahan is a much better runner and defender than Jackson.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I forgot Jackson who I rate highly for one so young. His lead up form was good but he had an unhappy HEC final. He'll pick himself up in the future: good young players learn from early failures.

Humphries should have started in the final but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It looks like a couple of years down the track Ireland will have two fine backups for Sexton.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Probably would have been better for Jackson to play in the JWC to restore confidence, but Ulster pulled him in order to get him ready for next season.

Shane Layden who was our biggest attacking threat in the 6Ns was withdrawn by Connacht on similar grounds. Also he probably would have been the natural pick for captain in Jackson's absence. Still Mikey Sherlock of Leinster isn't a bad replacement.

Furlong missed most of the season with an injury but he has a lot of potential and there are high hopes for him here in Ireland.

Hanrahan has been playing most of his rugby at 12 recently including during the 6Ns. But coming up through club rugby 10 was his position. He had a few wayward kicks at the start of the game but settled down well. He's got good pace and plenty of skill, hope he goes as well against England on Friday.

With the likes of Henderson, Coughlan, McGrath and Gilsenan it's probably one of the strongest JWC/U19 squads Ireland have had. Still it could all go pear shapped against an England side that denied them the 6Ns grand slam.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lee, I can't believe the Irish 5 didn't get a mention in your match report. I've only watched the first half but he was excellent and a genuine 2nd rower unlike many other blokes at the tournament who will grow up to be blindsiders. Good in the lineout and with a surprising work rate including an awesome kick chase of two. Whatever his name is, Ireland seniors have ageing 2nd row talent so circle him.

Jokes aside, how come Jackson didn't play? He's probably only started 6-8 top level games as I believe the first time he really impressed was 2 weeks before the HC semi-final. Surely that wouldn't bring about enough wear and tear to result in the kid missing out on the U20 WC? Unless he's properly injured.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lee, I can't believe the Irish 5 didn't get a mention in your match report. I've only watched the first half but he was excellent and a genuine 2nd rower unlike many other blokes at the tournament who will grow up to be blindsiders. Good in the lineout and with a surprising work rate including an awesome kick chase of two. Whatever his name is, Ireland seniors have ageing 2nd row talent so circle him.

That's Iain Henderson who scored this try, playing 6, against Munster in May on his first senior start.

The decision to pull Wallace came from Ulster, no injury involved and I think it was the wrong one. But it's given Hanrahan a chance to shine at 10. He's a great talent and sometimes he was starved of ball playing at 12.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
that's what I like so much compared the the guy that replaced him. His first thought was to involve others where as every time his replacement got the ball he tried the step first and foremost which If I'm correct he never made a break.

And for all the talk about his kicking yeah he had an off day not all where the easiest to kick. I dont hear anyone talking about the miss from directly in front from the replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. It's something I've always admired about Dan Carter and part of the reason his has been the benchmark so consistently throughout his career. While he has all the necessary skill sets what he does most effectively is underplay his hand and provide the impetus for all those around him to look good. From the highlights of Godwin that's exactly how he choose to play (NB: I am not comparing Godwin to Carter). Three of his direct touches set up three tries and in another he got behind the Scottish defence via taking it on, offloaded to the 13 who offloaded to Frisby who eventually delivered it to the 14.

I'd say he had a good game in all and I'll note that his loudest critics tend to hail from our North-Eastern most state were funnily enough his replacement , UJ, played his schoolboy's Rugby. Funny that.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's Iain Henderson who scored this try, playing 6, against Munster in May on his first senior start.

The decision to pull Wallace came from Ulster, no injury involved and I think it was the wrong one. But it's given Hanrahan a chance to shine at 10. He's a great talent and sometimes he was starved of ball playing at 12.

The Irish province are massive fans of playing born and bred 2nd rowers at blindside. I suppose it has it's merits (see above).

That's silly about pulling the Ulster 10, I think a 10 can benefit more from playing and leading than he can from any gym work or skills coaching.

If he was a prop or 2nd rower I'd see the reasoning but not for a 10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Dammit!

The worst thing about Viewers Choice is that you can't set it to record if it's not the main thing being shown.

I guess it's a bit of a case of #firstworldproblems

Status
Not open for further replies.