• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Heres a team of players who weren't selected.

1. Jed Gillespie
2. Tim Reid
3. Michael Bermingham
4. William Skelton
5. Mitchell Carpenter
6. Luke Beauchamp
7. Boyd Killingworth
8. Waita Setu

9. Tim Donlan
10. Stuart Dunbar
11. Isaiah Mosese
12. Chris Ingate
13. Terence Hepetema
14. Lindsay Crook
15. Mitchell Felsman

A few quality players not selected in the Aus 20s squad, also regular grade players in sydney.

- Miles McCaffrey
- Jed Gillespie
- Keliti Vaingalo
- Edward Burrett
- Tim Donlan
- Stuart Dunbar
- Isaiah Mosese
- Tom Connor
- Michael Wells

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Heres a team of players who weren't selected.

1. Jed Gillespie
2. Tim Reid
3. Michael Bermingham
4. William Skelton
5. Mitchell Carpenter
6. Luke Beauchamp
7. Boyd Killingworth
8. Waita Setu

9. Tim Donlan
10. Stuart Dunbar
11. Isaiah Mosese
12. Chris Ingate
13. Terence Hepetema
14. Lindsay Crook
15. Mitchell Felsman

A few quality players not selected in the Aus 20s squad, also regular grade players in sydney.

- Miles McCaffrey
- Jed Gillespie
- Keliti Vaingalo
- Edward Burrett
- Tim Donlan
- Stuart Dunbar
- Isaiah Mosese
- Tom Connor
- Michael Wells

You can add Phil Kite to that team list at prop . Many had big wraps on him at schoolboy level but a run of injuries have kept him down.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
The Welsh squad.

Wilson names strengthened JWC squad

Wales Under 20 head coach Danny Wilson has named a strengthened Wales Under 20 squad for the IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa (June 4-22).

Eight players who were not available to Wilson for most of the Six Nations due to regional commitments have been added to the group. The eight, who bring both regional and international experience to the squad include Cory Hill and fellow Blues forward Luke Hamilton, winger Harry Robinson who was a member of Warren Gatland's Six Nations training squad and the Wales Sevens squad this season, Dragons centre Jack Dixon and Ospreys Matthew Morgan, Tom Habberfield (also involved with Wales Sevens), Eli Walker and four-times Wales capped Tom Prydie who is currently on loan to London Wasps.

Of the eight, only Dixon and Robinson played any part in the 2012 Under 20 Six Nations, with one game each, Dixon against Italy and Robinson against England at the Stoop. Loosehead prop Gareth Thomas is the only other addition to the squad since the Six Nations.

Ten of the 28 players - backs Ross Jones, Eli Walker, Iolo Evans, Matthew Morgan and Jonathan Evans and forwards Kirby Myhill, Jamie Sollis, WillGriff John, Luke Hamilton and Cory Hill were part of the squad that competed in last season's Junior World Championship in northern Italy. Blues lock Hill has been named squad captain for the tournament with Six Nations captain Kirby Myhill selected as vice-captain.

Wilson said, "The players who have joined the squad since the Six Nations have already brought a new intensity to our training sessions and we hope that their regional and international experience will help lift our playing performances too".

"The additional players have certainly improved our strength in depth, but now we must have a good month's training in order to get on the plane feeling well prepared."

Wales play Fiji, New Zealand and Samoa at the Pool stage of the IRB tournament, a group that will certainly test the Welsh youngsters.

"It is an extremely physical group," added Wilson, "and we must meet that challenge head on if we want any change of progressing to the top half of the draw.

"New Zealand have proved year after year that they are the strongest side in the world at this age, so they will again be a huge challenge, but we must target our other Pool games against Fiji and Samoa. We saw last season that those sides are very dangerous and we must execute the right game plan against them. We must be physically and mentally ready for all three games."

Wales play Japan in a friendly on Tuesday 15 May at St Helens before heading to South Africa on May 30.

Wales Junior World Championship squad:

Forwards:
Rob Evans (Scarlets)
Gareth Thomas (Scarlets)
Kirby Myhill (Scarlets)
Jamie Sollis (Dragons)
Darran Harris (Blues)
WillGriff John (Blues)
Samson Lee (Scarlets)
Cory Hill (capt, Blues)
Matthew Screech (Blues)
Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys)
Ieuan Jones (Dragons)
Ellis Jenkins (Blues)
Daniel Thomas (Scarlets)
Luke Hamilton (Blues)
Dan Baker (Ospreys)

Backs:
Jonathan Evans (Dragons)
Tom Habberfield (Ospreys)
Sam Davies (Ospreys)
Matthew Morgan (Ospreys)
Owen Williams (Scarlets)
Jack Dixon (Dragons)
Thomas Pascoe (Blues)
Iolo Evans (Scarlets)
Luke Morgan (Ospreys)
Harry Robinson (Blues)
Eli Walker (Ospreys)
Tom Prydie (Ospreys/London Wasps)
Ross Jones (Ospreys)

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/22139.php

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Stolberg, Carpenter ( Prems players) not selected but Sam Reiser, Colts player who did not trial is selected .... and the list could go on. Sounds like schoolboy crap!!!!

Sorry, forgot to mention Bermingham...how good has he been in Prem games. They need to take young men who are going to be able to handle these awesome forwards who have been playing in Super rugby and other comps where they have challanged themselves against seasoned men.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
A Tale of 2 Rats.
As most know James Dargaville and Boyd Killingworth both went to Mater Maria and were Rats juniors.
Both played NSW schools and Boyd also Australian Schools.
James decided to go and play at Uni and Boyd stayed at the Rats. Boyd plays 1st grade whereas James plays 1st grade colts where Uni constantly have shifted him between the backrow and the centres.
James gets picked in the 20's and Boyd misses out.
Could someone please explain. This is not an attack on James but an enquiry into selection policy. If I were a parent of even a moderately talented footballer then I would pay whatever to get him involved in one particular club because once again it appears that if you play for them then you have the inside running.

G

Grandstand

A Tale of 2 Rats.
As most know James Dargaville and Boyd Killingworth both went to Mater Maria and were Rats juniors.
James decided to go and play at Uni and Boyd stayed at the Rats. Boyd plays 1st grade whereas James plays 1st grade colts where Uni constantly have shifted him between the backrow and the centres.
Could someone please explain. This is not an attack on James but an enquiry into selection policy. If I were a parent of even a moderately talented footballer then I would pay whatever to get him involved in one particular club because once again it appears that if you play for them then you have the inside running.

You would have to think that Uni has some sway as Sam Jeffries made the squad despite playing only 20 minutes of footy this season due to injury. A solid player but his fitness must but be an issue. It will be interesting to see which position Dargaville plays in South Africa as Uni have used him at centre this year. He or Melrose could take the flanker spot that Boyd probably thought was his. Such is life in the lottery of rugby selection.

country rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
similar situation in queensland between stolberg, carpenter and reiser, all second rowers. Two of these are in their second season of premier grade, One has only played colts. And this same one, from all reports has not trained or done any trials but plays for Uni, and gets selected. what a mystery selections are, but I agree, playing for a University side seems to be a bit of an advantage.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
A Tale of 2 Rats.
You would have to think that Uni has some sway ... It will be interesting to see which position Dargaville plays in South Africa as Uni have used him at centre this year. He or Melrose could take the flanker spot that Boyd probably thought was his. Such is life in the lottery of rugby selection.
playing for a University side seems to be a bit of an advantage.

Let's have a look at the free ride that people are implying James Dargaville got in being selected in the Australian Under 20s.

Since coming to Sydney Uni James has trained literally 12 months of the year.

We are now well into the playing season and his gym training involves:
Monday 6:30am Heavy lower body weights
Tuesday 6:30am Heavy upper body weights
Wednesday 6:30 am Dynamic lower body weights
He also does optional extra gym sessions.

Last year he was doing a similar routine and travelling in from Avalon each morning to do his training. He is renowned for being absolutely religious in doing prehab before he trains, spending 15 minutes rolling, stretching and doing band work to activate his glutes. Because he had developed stress fracture problems with his spine while still at school he cannot squat but he has done 5 reps single leg full range with 170kg on the MyoThrusta, indicating very high level lower body strength.

He has not played back row for at least a year and has played just one position, inside centre. At the beginning of last season the strength and conditioning coaches at Sydney Uni identified his exceptional speed, athleticism and defensive ability and suggested he switch to the centres. He runs 40m in 4.96 and beeps 13.2.

At the start of this season he played 12 for Sydney Uni against Samoa A where he acquitted himself well. He chooses to keep learning his craft in Colts although he may well play some games in Grade later in the year.

To suggest that his selection in the Under 20s was because he plays for a particular club is insulting to a gifted young footballer whose training intensity would certainly match anyone in the squad, even if they are playing Grade.

J

john deakon

Great write up Bruce, sounds like he has the kind of dedication and resolve needed to make it to the top, in anything he chooses to pursue. Great attitude by the sounds of it. Can you give us an insight in to Jeffries? I see he's a Sydney uni colt as well.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Once again Bruce you have completely missed the point. I have no doubt that the player I originally mentioned hasn't trained very hard but the issue is that more recently players were directed to play grade if they wanted to be included in the 20s program.
Secondly everytime that the academy get's criticised you jump. It's hilarious just how loyal you are considering how disloyal your club can be. I was at Manly Oval this afternoon talking to a Norths player who was completely screwed by you guys last year even though he had come from QLD via the ACT academy.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I was at Manly Oval this afternoon talking to a Norths player who was completely screwed by you guys last year even though he had come from QLD via the ACT academy.

Does he play Hooker? Maybe he is in the wrong industry[/quote]

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bruce, James D stays at Rats and trains the same as he had at Uni, he is 1,000 to 1 to tour.
Boyd K is ripping it up in 1st grade and gets pipped by another flanker playing Ok in colts at Uni.
Deny it all you like, but playing for Uni gives players an advantage in being selected for higher honours.
No suggestion of any wrondoing, just a statement of what EVERYONE outside of Uni know to be true.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Once again Bruce you have completely missed the point. I have no doubt that the player I originally mentioned hasn't trained very hard but the issue is that more recently players were directed to play grade if they wanted to be included in the 20s program.
Secondly everytime that the academy get's criticised you jump. It's hilarious just how loyal you are considering how disloyal your club can be. I was at Manly Oval this afternoon talking to a Norths player who was completely screwed by you guys last year even though he had come from QLD via the ACT academy.

I am not a fan of Sydney Uni - quite the opposite.
I hadn't detected what I think you claim is Bruce's bias.
This complaint used to be made about Randwick.
It is permitted to happen because of the absolutely shithouse performance of the ARU - Uni are the only club with money: funnily enough they can also offer an education which might look after you when rugby is over. I cant see why any kid would go anywhere else - i agree thats wrong but its hardly Uni's "fault".

If you want to address the problem ask what the fuck the ARU or the NSWRU do to put the club comp on a viable year to year footing.
Easts havent even paid one of their coaches from last year!

C

Cave Dweller

The IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy (JWRT) will be played in Salt Lake City in the USA from 18-30 June.

Junior World Rugby Trophy Fixtures:

The matches will all be played at Murray Rugby Park Stadium, Salt Lake City, Utah

Pool A

18 June
Chile vs Russia
USA vs Tonga

22 June
Tonga vs Russia
USA vs Chile

26 June
Tonga vs Chile
USA vs Russia

Pool B

18 June
Japan vs Zimbabwe
Georgia vs Canada

22 June
Georgia vs Zimbabwe
Japan vs Canada

26 June
Canada vs Zimbabwe
Japan vs Georgia

30 June
7th Place Play-Off
5th Place Play-Off
Bronze Final
Final : 1st Pool A - 1st Pool B

Something nice to see happening is woman referee's appearing and Leah Berard of the USA has been appointed as one of nine match officials. Previously Sarah Corrigan of Australia refereed at the Under-19 Junior World Championship when there were an Under-21 and an Under-19 competitions.

The first occasion that a woman refereed a senior men's Test was when Gabriel Lee (Wing-Yi) of Hong Kong refereed Kyrgyzstan vs Mongolia in Uzbekistan in the 2009. She was appointed by the Asian Rugby Football Union, not the IRB. The IRB appointed Dana Teagarden of the USA, who had refereed Sevens, to referee the men's Test between the Netherlands and Hong Kong.

What makes Leah Berard situation unique is that this is the first time the IRB appointed a womans official in a mens 15 a side game. Great to see they are moving with the times and not being stuck up with certain policies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's hilarious just how loyal you are considering how disloyal your club can be. I was at Manly Oval this afternoon talking to a Norths player who was completely screwed by you guys last year even though he had come from QLD via the ACT academy.

I am indeed pleased, lily, that you find so much mirth in me staying loyal to a club that is renowned throughout the land for its treachery. Each year a small horde of Uni players go knocking on the doors of all the other Sydney clubs, pleading to be let in because they can no longer cope with being "completely screwed". The player to whom you spoke is a case in point.

He's quite a peripatetic young lad, if he's the one I'm thinking of. Just over three years ago he was part of the Queensland Reds Academy and a member of the Brisbane Brothers Club. Later that year, 2009, he turned up in Sydney playing for the De La Salle Junior Rugby League Football Club. The next year he was with the Cronulla Sharks Rugby League Club. At the end of that year he was with the Brumbies Academy, so we are led to believe, although I can find no record of it.

Then came his annus horribilis with the disloyal Sydney Uni "guys" before he found a place of refuge and material sustenance with Norths. If I were you I would maintain contact with him. He may fancy a season living by the seashore.

Status
Not open for further replies.