• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I stumbled upon the Suncorp 2011 Test on YouTube, one thing that stood out was the way the Wallabies reacted after the haka. Look at them, you could see they were up for it, love Vickerman's facial expression. You can tell he wants to hurt people.

Can someone please make sure they all see this video?? The first 10 minutes is just ferocious from the whole pack. Look at the way they're smashing into the breakdown. In that 10 minutes we see McCaw, Thomson and Read all separately injured. Read ends up going off. They need to know they are capable of that again.

Look at last week, we lost the breakdown but we also came out with more injuries. If they don't want to get injured again. Fucking take it to them!

The inclusion of Ben Alexander is a concern for scrums but his workrate, along with Moore's, is a real feature in this clip. Let's hope he can make a similiar impression tonight.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I stumbled upon the Suncorp 2011 Test on YouTube, one thing that stood out was the way the Wallabies reacted after the haka. Look at them, you could see they were up for it, love Vickerman's facial expression. You can tell he wants to hurt people.

Can someone please make sure they all see this video?? The first 10 minutes is just ferocious from the whole pack. Look at the way they're smashing into the breakdown. In that 10 minutes we see McCaw, Thomson and Read all separately injured. Read ends up going off. They need to know they are capable of that again.

Look at last week, we lost the breakdown but we also came out with more injuries. If they don't want to get injured again. Fucking take it to them!

That is the way to beat us all right. The Irish did that in the second test too, ditto the Frogs in the second half of the WC final. Hell, with very few exceptions, defeats (or close victories) for us come after being bashed a bit up front.

Gotta keep it up for the whole time though. If I recall correctly in Brisbane it went from 20-3 at halftime to 20 all within 15 minutes in the second half.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
That is the way to beat us all right. The Irish did that in the second test too, ditto the Frogs in the second half of the WC final. Hell, with very few exceptions, defeats (or close victories) for us come after being bashed a bit up front.

Gotta keep it up for the whole time though. If I recall correctly in Brisbane it went from 20-3 at halftime to 20 all within 15 minutes in the second half.

The Blacks came out after half time and totally changed their game. It was quite remarkable to see a team with the ability to change their whole gameplan on the fly.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes, a few things. He's not talking about Quade, and the person who started that fracas has gone for a rest. This can be left alone now. Move on please.

i seee but keepin line with what i said i see quade alot eats alot of chinese dumplings for a pro rugby player.

Hopefully the can use this to get his chi under control for tonight

Karl

Bill McLean (32)

"wonderful stuff here from the wallabies tonight. Intensity brutality precision and speed at the breakdown"

This would be the last time probably that we heard these words applied to our forwards.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
The Blacks came out after half time and totally changed their game. It was quite remarkable to see a team with the ability to change their whole gameplan on the fly.

No it's not. It's just unheard of for us. The "No plan B" Wallabies under "Dubious plan A" Deans.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
"wonderful stuff here from the wallabies tonight. Intensity brutality precision and speed at the breakdown"

This would be the last time probably that we heard these words applied to our forwards.

I didn't think it would be right if I 'Liked' this - but I definitely agree.

W

What2040

Wallabies will surely use Reds tactics tonight ie forwards will keep folding around which opens thye field to the backs. only worry is the unfitness of some of the piggies, especially Robbo. Moore and Alexander can go the 80, Robbo just doesn't have any motor at all. Really hope and need Tamani to go well. Hooper will play out of his skin and Sharpie will put in another huge one. Higgers HAS to play well or he will cop the brunt of selections in the future. THIS is OUR TIME (I hope)

Cooper just needs to play HIS game

Big call I know, but Wallabies by 5 - odds are worthwhile at TAB

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Well, combinations...

So this week in a pressure cooker Robbie has discarded any semblance of the combinations the Wallabies have been developing since the RWC last year. Clever. He cannot admit he has ever made a mistake. In five years somebody please post anywhere were he has taken any level of responsibility for HIS team's performance.

I have significant fears regarding this game:-

1) QC (Quade Cooper) being used as a scapegoat (by the coaches and some fans) if the Wallabies get destroyed or even just well beaten. I refer all to my previous post sometime last week. 'The selection of QC (Quade Cooper) will not make any difference to the result or the play if there are not commensurate changes in not only the selection the squad but in the overall tactics and mode of play.'

2) We have seen wholesale changes to the selected side which was one part of the required change I outlined if QC (Quade Cooper) was to have any impact. We have no idea if Deans has instructed the Wallabies to play fast and wide or continue with the defensive damage limitation game plan. In either case it is fraught with much danger, because of the following factors;
a) If the same game plan is going to be kept we have weakened the defensive capabilities in the 10 & 12 positions and sacrificed speed at 15 and have a player in Mitchell on the wing who hasn't played any significant game time in how long? Couple those factors with issues at the scrum (with Alexander there the barely break even situation of last week will be horrendous this week so territory may be a big factor against the Wallabies from this phase.) and the fact that this defensive game plan isn't Cooper's forte and he will find himself under increasing pressure to perform miracles, from which will come mistakes.
b) If the go wide and go quick game plan is to be enacted, which given Deans penchant for telegraphing his tactics with his selections I'd say it is, I feel the Wallabies will struggle to maintain possession and will be attacking from their own half as they get turned over on attack. I think this simply because the pack hasn't played that style at their provinces (except the Reds sometimes and look at their forward representation in the Squad let alone the 22) and haven't played it at the Wallaby level for a long time (France 2010). Add in the significant fitness problem of the Tahs forwards selected and I feel that they will get badly dusted in the forward battle if they have to move to fast and too far. With the Wallabies on the back foot but directed to attack QC (Quade Cooper) will push things and mistakes will be made and turn overs made. The Lineout will be fine with Sharpe but the scrum will get dusted with Alexander and penalties conceded.

3) The combinations that Deans stated he was aiming for? Combinations? Has any coach in Wallaby history chopped and changed centres as much as Deans? Has he developed anybody there? He moved Digby there. He totally changed tactics last year and still didn't pick the centre who epitomised the defend and shut down game plan based on statistics in Oz. I just don't see the backline selected as having that combination. QC (Quade Cooper) is playing his first game in a long while, Barnes regardless of some yelling out long and loud that Barnes was so good in the Welsh series has been average. Horne is a shadow of what he promised a few years ago before the injuries. Mitchell, did he play two games for the Tahs this year? Has he played since? Digby - perhaps the form back in the Australian Squad along with Genia who needed no comment. and finally AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who is Mr Versatile still and Mr realiable but that is it. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not a starting player. He is ideal bench coverage especially on a 5:2 split. He is not that fast, an above average 15, average winger and average 13, below average 12 (those are test averages people). There are far better 15s in Oz who are fit and available and I don't mean Beale who is another who was selected in this squad without any basis on form. Perhaps this backline is indeed the one that combined beautifully to annihilate France at home but that was a long time ago and that combination was broken and that game plan discarded over 18 months ago. To ask the players to resurrect it after 6 days with some many struggling for match fitness would be ludicrous. Back to point 2(a) if that isn't the game plan he is aiming for we had better hope that Hooper has his tackling face on to cover the channel between Cooper and Barnes all night as I fear SBW and Nonu will be hammering and offloading there all night.

Last week I was close to the money in predicting the ABs by 15 and indeed most commentators think that such a score would have been more representative of their dominance of the game. This week I can see nothing but pain for Wallabies supporters - ABs by 15+. I think the Wallabies will be desperate and will manage to stave off a total route, or at least that is what I am hoping.

An excellent contribution to this thread Gnostic! I'm confused, and having supported Deans since day one, I have to say that I am now in a zone where I am looking for a replacement coach for our once-great and highly-respected national team! Perhaps you would be available!? As Mrs Doug proudly puts our Wallabies flag and two jerseys up on our front deck, my hope is that at 64, I can still look forward to our boys winning another Bledisloe Cup before I go to that big rugby ground in the sky!!
Last week I posted (pre-match) that I felt KB (Kurtley Beale) and SBW were weak links and IMHO, I was vindicated. I really hope both players have a "blinder" today, SBW because it's his "swan song", and KB (Kurtley Beale) because Robbie says he is our "strike-weapon, game-breaker" and a "match winner", and because whenever I think of Kurtley, I think of Andrew Walker, (unrealised [potential] creativity)! If the Wobs lose today, I will still support our boys in the morning, however, the same will not apply to Robbie Deans.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Yes they did change their game plan.
Talk about a simple plan, get possession and pick and drive it until we score, then repeat.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hope we get Thunderstruck tonight, with plenty of Crowded House for the Kiwis. Topped off with some Don't Change (love that old school video clip for that song!).

Status
Not open for further replies.