• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The above rules only apply when Archie's Dad is playing for the Tahs, and the pack that is struggling is predominantly Tahs.

All bets would be off if:
a. Archie's Dad moved back to Queensland
b. QC (Quade Cooper) moves to the Rebels to be close to his Disco wingmen
c. A successful S15 coach from Victoria is promoted to the national squad head job
d. Sanchez Genia moves West or to the Ponies, and
e. The balance of power in the scrum becomes redder.

We will need some new ground rules then.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
At Eden Park we lost the collisions. Almost every damn one of them. Until we address this issue all of the rest is meaningless chatter. If we ever got to a ruck on time, our clean-outs were ineffective. After half an hour I was fully expecting a turn-over at every ruck. I think we kicked so stupidly because we thought we might go forward with a kick, we knew in our heads that we would go backwards in contact and turn it over. Ergo, a stupid kick was the best option.

So, until we address the issue of winning the collisions, we are cooked. Timani talked about it during the week and then came out and did something about it. Apart from Moore, Hooper and Ioane no one else had a clue. Winning the collisions and the breakdown has to be the major issue at training next week. For everyone, not just the forwards.

I note that everyone has been sent home to ponder their navel this week. Wtf?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Our props need to get much better at the cleanout.

Robbo was good in the first 20 minutes but Slipper was really bad and Kepu is normally quite bad.

Accuracy at the breakdown is a real problem. If you are the first forward to hit that ruck you have to take the opposition player off his feet. If you just crash into him and he stays on his feet you're then getting in the way of anyone else stopping the turnover/penalty.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I noticed some here want to drop higgingbottom, (sp) but he was one of your better players against Wales, was he really that bad? They do say form is tempory class is perminent tho, so what was it, did he find some form against Wales, or is he in a bit of a slump,

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's just getting totally outclassed as an 8 in test rugby (particularly against Kieran Read).

I don't think anyone is unhappy with him as a test 6 (which is what he was against Wales).

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)

Robbo was good in the first 20 minutes but Slipper was really bad and Kepu is normally quite bad.

Accuracy at the breakdown is a real problem. If you are the first forward to hit that ruck you have to take the opposition player off his feet. If you just crash into him and he stays on his feet you're then getting in the way of anyone else stopping the turnover/penalty.
Quite right Braveheart, it was a fault of Wales for many years they would arrive at the breakdown and forage for the ball instead of driving the opposition off it to allow others the chance of the turn over, this can be coached, so the need to ask the coach now seems apropriate,;)

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
He's just getting totally outclassed as an 8 in test rugby (particularly against Kieran Read).

I don't think anyone is unhappy with him as a test 6 (which is what he was against Wales).
I see, I never saw the game so cant judge him as an 8 didn't realise he was there, are you short of 8s was that the reason Deans put him there?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Few thoughts.

Taps in for Barnes.
Taps is the carbon-cut 12. He can't play 10, he can't play 13 despite being able to play both those positions. Make sense?

He has the striaght running game, that most agree Quade needs outside of him. However he is also creative, and has fantastic footwork. Good technical defender too. Unlike McCabe, BB, and others he has played 12 his whole life.

So basically he's Morgan Pukunui v2. Let's hope his Wallaby career lasts longer.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see, I never saw the game so cant judge him as an 8 didn't realise he was there, are you short of 8s was that the reason Deans put him there?

Some pundits here think it may be related to being under the influence of narcotics and hallucinogenics.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Palu is injured, Ben McCalman has a broken arm, Samo is old (and coming off the bench), and Mowen wasn't picked for the squad.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Mowen wouldn't have won a collision on Saturday night, we need to stop considering him. If Higgers and Dennis don't step up to international level physicality mowen isn't your guy.

And I like mowen, great superugby player.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Mowen wouldn't have won a collision on Saturday night, we need to stop considering him. If Higgers and Dennis don't step up to international level physicality mowen isn't your guy.

And I like mowen, great superugby player.

Agreed. Just outlining the "state of the 8" in Oz rugby.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Agreed. Just outlining the "state of the 8" in Oz rugby.
Unfortunately, it is really just Palu (who is chronically injury prone) and then no-one at the moment, at least if you are looking for a no.8 that will make an impact. Few decent workhorses around.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

Slipper was fine at the clean out. He looked like he actually wanted to hurt people, I wish we could say the same about the rest of the pack.

T

TOCC

Slipper was fine at the clean out. He looked like he actually wanted to hurt people, I wish we could say the same about the rest of the pack.
he missed a basic one on Hore when Moore was penalised for been isolated

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
There are a few unknowns from the weekend re injuries. Cooper must have been injured, you cant have the Plodder getting all the ball and QC (Quade Cooper) being on the wing. But we are talking Deans.

The midfield has no punch with Barnes and Horne, been evident through S15. Neither can beat a man and Barnes defence at 12 hasnt got enough sting. As a 10 he makes a good league hooker.

Longer term Taps is the answer at 12 we are looking for and a rock like McCabe maybe at 13 or a punt on Cummins. Hope he gets a runs, he has some Mike Hunt in him at least...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What's the go with Inman? We need to develop a quality 13 and Horne isn't doing anything for me at the moment. I really don't think Cummins is the option as I see him more as a winger. Inman has shown great improvement and is a great size. I'd love to see him in the squad and groomed as a 13 option.

In the immortal words of Phil Kearns, Inman looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom