• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 All things Referee thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No need to keep him on ice before then. Surely, just like the players he would prefer to keep reffing to keep the form going?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Craig Joubert is in charge of the Chiefs vs Crusaders game and Steve Walsh officiating the Stormers vs Sharks game.

Hopefully this means Bryce Lawrence gets the final. :p

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Craig Joubert is in charge of the Chiefs vs Crusaders game and Steve Walsh officiating the Stormers vs Sharks game.

Nice. Two best refs of the season.

I got worried last week when these two weren't appointed. But it just shows that they were saving both of them up for this week. Whoever performs better should get the final. (I hope they aren't giving it to Kaplan lol)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why do they need to be 'saved'?

I think it is just a four way trial to ref the final and then they will give it to the worst ref performance.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I just don't agree with the Sanzar selections.

Just pick the the top two and give all the finals to them.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
QUEENSLAND Reds coach Ewen McKenzie is again baffled by SANZAR after the latest in a series of contentious calls this season by the ruling body of Super Rugby.
Despite admitting the Reds were robbed of a try in their loss to the Sharks, SANZAR referees boss Lyndon Bray has claimed the bad call did not matter anyway.
McKenzie was far from impressed as the comments added to a farcical year of decisions from SANZAR judiciary officers and referees.
The video referee who cost the Reds, Matt Goddard, has been dropped for the semi-finals. Goddard's bad call involved Reds flanker Liam Gill, who was denied a try at a critical stage in his team's elimination final loss last Saturday night.
The Reds were behind 10-27 midway through the second half but were hammering the Sharks line.
In the 57th minute, winger Digby Ioane was tackled just short of the try line but Gill snatched the ball and crashed over. Goddard cited insufficient evidence to award a try.

Start of sidebar.Bray conceded it was a fair try but added it had little impact on the game.
"The question is whether it would have changed history," Bray said yesterday. "My view is that it probably wouldn't but I can understand the Reds have a case to say it would have helped their momentum."
McKenzie was taken aback when he read Bray's comments.
"How can he (Bray) say that?" he said. "It's disappointing. We were pretty consistent in applying pressure to the Sharks line in the second half.
"Seven points is a lot in a final. It's good to see them taking ownership of the wrong decision.
"However, the try would have been crucial for us."
At the very least, the no-try call was the third time this season the Reds had been severely affected by rulings from officials.
Digby Ioane was suspended for five weeks for an innocuous tip tackle for which he had already been sin-binned and Quade Cooper missed the final through suspension.
Chris Garry

Good Old SANZAR, you gotta love em.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Read what Bray said without all the sensationalist crap around it:

The question is whether it would have changed history," Bray said yesterday. "My view is that it probably wouldn't but I can understand the Reds have a case to say it would have helped their momentum
It's funny how a journalist can take an entirely reasonable comment like that and turn it into a witch hunt. They decided that the TMO could (and should) have actually ruled in favor of the attacking team in that decision, but at the end of the day it wasn't a decision that caused the result to change. Usually to "change history" it would need to be a string of decisions in a close game. Or maybe one tight call in the dying seconds. The simple fact is the red's were outplayed and not getting awarded a 'try' where the ball looked to be barely touching a few millimeters of grass on the tryline did not have a big impact on the rugby game. (which most of their fans would surely agree)

Another thing, since when was Goddard "dropped". Usually SANZAR don't fly Australian referees to NZ and SA to be a TMO.... But don't let facts get in the way of a good story hey?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Bru. It's not his job to say how it effects the match. That shouldn't come into it. But it's good they owned up to the error.

Sent using Tapatalk

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Maybe it's not something they should discuss with the media. But I'm pretty sure the question of "did any bad calls have a significant impact on the result?" is something asked by referee's after every game in their performance review. So it is something they might have looked at in this situation.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Read what Bray said without all the sensationalist crap around it:

It's funny how a journalist can take an entirely reasonable comment like that and turn it into a witch hunt. They decided that the TMO could (and should) have actually ruled in favor of the attacking team in that decision, but at the end of the day it wasn't a decision that caused the result to change. Usually to "change history" it would need to be a string of decisions in a close game. Or maybe one tight call in the dying seconds. The simple fact is the red's were outplayed and not getting awarded a 'try' where the ball looked to be barely touching a few millimeters of grass on the tryline did not have a big impact on the rugby game. (which most of their fans would surely agree)

Another thing, since when was Goddard "dropped". Usually SANZAR don't fly Australian referees to NZ and SA to be a TMO.. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story hey?

Bray would have done everyone a favour (himself most of all), by limiting his comment to simply "It was a fair try and we made a mistake" The rest of it just feeds the insanity - no one can judge how it would have effected the game from there on.

Status
Not open for further replies.