• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 All things Referee thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not S15 but in ref interest:
http://www.sareferees.co.za/news/ref_news/2862484.htm
IRB restructures refs
Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:29

2763-7324-0-0_1544972.jpg

The International Rugby Board has had a fundamental shake-up of its refereeing structure. Most significantly its manager of referees, Paddy O'Brien, is to move from his present post to run Sevens referees, a job the IRB says is significant with Olympic participation in the offing.
That is not the end of it. The IRB has also changed the selection process, something O'Brien had pout in place, with a four-man selection committee meeting four times a year.
The four are Lyndon Bray and Tappe Henning (both SANZAR) and Donal Courtney and Clayton Thomas (both Six Nations and European Rugby Cup). Bray is SANZAR's game manager which includes looking after referees and Courtney is the ERC's referees manager. All four are former Test referees who have stayed involved in refereeing administration.
That is still not the end of it. The selection committee have made changes to the IRB's top panel. Wayne Barnes, Dave Pearson and Bryce Lawrence have been dropped off while Jaco Peyper of South Africa has been brought onto the panel for the first time.
They new panel is George Clancy (Ireland), Jérôme Garcès (France), Craig Joubert (South Africa), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Chris Pollock (New Zealand), Romain Poite (France), Alain Rolland (Ireland) and Steve Walsh (Australia).
Acting chairman of the selection committee and IRB Council member for Scotland John Jeffrey said: "The IRB is committed to ensuring that the platform is in place to promote the very best refereeing standards at the elite level of the game.
"Our priority is the continued promotion of consistency and performance and our strategic goal is to deliver the best available panel for Rugby World Cup 2015 while at the same time applying the best-for-best principle in the selection of referees for each international window.
"There will be consistent movement in and out of the panel based on form to reward the top performers and those making the step up as we build towards RWC 2015 in England. In short, this means that referees are selected on merit, in form and closer to the matches being played. All Member Unions are committed to this process, which is essential for its success."
The committee, which also made appoints for June Tests, agreed that the key areas of the Game identified for particular focus by referees needed constant reviewing.
Those five key areas, identified some time ago by SANZAR coaches and referees, are:- All aspects of the tackle with particular emphasis to be placed on the tackler releasing the tackled player and rolling away and arriving players staying on their feet
- Offside at the breakdown
- Offside from kicks
- All aspects of the scrum, particularly the engagement process and front-row binding
- All aspects of the maul, particularly what constitutes legal maul defence
The IRB statement said: "As part of the restructure, IRB Referee Manager Paddy O'Brien has decided to step down after seven years of excellent service.
"Having played an instrumental role in the advancement of elite match official preparation and performance, including the management of the referee team at two Rugby World Cups, he has decided that he requires a fresh challenge.
"O'Brien will now focus his extensive experience into a similar role for Rugby Sevens, underlining the IRB's commitment to Sevens ahead of Rugby making its return to the Olympic Games at Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
"He remains central to the match official process and is supportive of the restructure."
O'Brien will stay in his post until a replacement is found.
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset commented: "Paddy's exceptional dedication and application to driving forward elite match official standards has significantly benefitted the Game over the past seven years.
"He will be a tough act to follow as a Referee Manager and I am delighted that he will be channelling all his experience into preparing the best up-and-coming match officials on the Sevens World Series to ensure that the very best referees are in peak form for 2016."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how often they make changes to the top panel after saying that it will always be picked on form.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Glad they are going to have the same focuses in super rugby as tests, as in years passed there always seemed to be discrepancies between the reffing of them (not that I really believe a press release).

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Glad they are going to have the same focuses in super rugby as tests, as in years passed there always seemed to be discrepancies between the reffing of them (not that I really believe a press release).

I think the problem here lies with the SH / NH split. We get used to the way that SH refs blow in the Super Rugby, and then when the tests come around we get the NH influence which seems to focus on an entirely different set of aspects of the game. The question is - Will this ever change? I also think that the NH refs have struggled in the past with the speed and style of game played by the SH teams. Is the reverse true? Do the NH spectators dislike it when SH refs are brought into their world?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Last week a good one for SA refs
http://www.sareferees.co.za/news/ref_news/2863964.htm
What a week for SA refs!
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:48

2770-0-0-0_1660932.jpg

South African referees had a glorious week last week, enough to make their boss André Watson proud. In fact it is enough to make all South African referees proud.
It started when the International Rugby Board's referees' selectors met in Dublin and appointed to Jaco Peyper, a Bloemfontein lawyer, to their top panel of referees. They reduced the panel and still Peyper got on, now one of the top nine referees in the world. Just nine out of thousands. That was wonderful.
Then Craig Joubert, who refereed the 2011 Rugby World Cup Final, was appointed to a match in Mexico City between Mexico and Jamaica. It may seem a small event but it was the first qualifier for the 2015 Rugby World Cup. Joubert blew the whistle that started the next World Cup.
Then when the Brumbies played the unbeaten Highlanders in a Super 15 match in Canberra the referee was a Bloemfontein schoolmaster, Lourens van der Merwe. For him it was his first appointment to referee a Super Rugby match. He got the opening because Mark Lawrence was unable to travel and Van der Merwe grasped it with both hands, prompting Watson to say: "What a fantastic debut! I don't think I've ever seen a better debut at this level."
And then in Hong Kong, Rasta Rashivenga refereed the Final, a match broadcast to millions and watched by colourful thousands. Out went Rasta in his IRB blue and he refereed a glorious Final between Fiji and New Zealand. His accuracy and composure were wonderful to behold.
Up in heaven there was a man called Tokkie Smith, a South African who lived in Hong Kong for some years. The Hong Kong Sevens were his idea. He would have been proud to see that wonderful Final - and the refereeing of his compatriot, a schoolmaster from Jeppe, 25-year-old Rasta Rashivenga.
It was a week to be proud of South Africa's referees.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What happened to our old stock?
http://www.sareferees.co.za/news/ref_news/2864224.htm
Golden Oldie referees
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:20

2770-0-0-0_2665032.jpg

In June this year Max Baise turns 80, one of South Africa's oldest living Test referees, but not the oldest.
Max was born in Hoopstad on 24 June 1932 and now lives in Riversdale where he has a bottlestore and remarkable memorabilia He is in good cheer.
Max refereed his first test when the Springboks played France in 1967 and refereed seven Tests altogether - SA vs France (2), South Africa vs Lions in 1968 (2) South Africa vs Lions in 1974 (2) and South Africa vs Australia in 1969.
During the Oakdale Schools Rugby Festival, two of South Africa's (much younger) Test referees visited Max and found him in good spirits.
Piet Robbertse is older than Max but became a Test referee after him - three weeks after him. He was born in Brits on 19 November 1930 and now lives a life of retirement in Pretoria from where he wanders around South Africa from time to time.
Piet refereed four Tests - South Africa vs France in 1967, South Africa vs Australia in 1969 and South Africa vs New Zealand in 1970.
Piet later became a distinguished chairman of South African referees and was the first chairman of the unified Referees' Society in 1992.
Cas de Bruyn is older than Max and Piet, born in East London on 13 January 1929, educated at Paarl Gim and other places and now living in retirement in Jeffrey's Bay.
Cas was a schoolmaster in Johannesburg when he became a Test referee, refereeing three Tests - South Africa vs Australia in 1969 and South Africa vs British Isles in 1974.
None of those who refereed Tests in South Africa before Max are still alive and several referees who became Test referees after Max have died - his cousin Solly Baise, Hansie Schoeman, Bert Woolley who was 91 when he died in 2010, Justus Moolman, a dentist, Wynand Malan, a dentist, Ian Gourlay, Johan Gouws, Steve Strydom, Ian Rogers and Ian Anderson.
South Africa's first Test referee was a young man when he died but a man who had lived an interesting life. He was born in Southampton, studied in Scotland and played for Wales though he never went there. He was a medical student in Edinburgh when Wales came to play in 1883. Wales were short and Griffin filled in for them in those amateur days.
Later he practised in Queensland and played for Queensland. Then he came to Port Elizabeth and was on the staff of the Provincial Hospital and the vice-president of the Eastern Province Rugby Union when the first-ever Test was played in South Africa in 1891, and John Griffin refereed it. Later he returned to Southampton where he died on pneumonia on 13 July 1895 at the age of 36.

Oom Lee, you remember them?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the problem here lies with the SH / NH split. We get used to the way that SH refs blow in the Super Rugby, and then when the tests come around we get the NH influence which seems to focus on an entirely different set of aspects of the game. The question is - Will this ever change? I also think that the NH refs have struggled in the past with the speed and style of game played by the SH teams. Is the reverse true? Do the NH spectators dislike it when SH refs are brought into their world?

I agree totally SFR. I'm not a fan of the NH refs, although Romain Polite is a good ref.

I think it's a cultural thing. When you look at the mindset of the SH teams, they generally want to play expansive 15 man rugby as opposed to the attitude of the NH teams who generally want to strangle the life out of the game.

That said, there is room for both styles of play and room for both styles of refereeing. I know which style i prefer to watch though!!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I agree totally SFR. I'm not a fan of the NH refs, although Romain Polite is a good ref.

I think it's a cultural thing. When you look at the mindset of the SH teams, they generally want to play expansive 15 man rugby as opposed to the attitude of the NH teams who generally want to strangle the life out of the game.

That said, there is room for both styles of play and room for both styles of refereeing. I know which style i prefer to watch though!!
I think you have a wrong mindset about this. Every competition on every level in whatever hemisphere play different styles of rugby. You'll find even in Sydneys club competition teams that will play more attacking rugby compare to teams that prefer more kicking. It all depend on teams strengths and weaknesses and which gameplan they want to play to win the competition.

The Refs have the same rules for all the teams and the team that adabt the best to the way the ref rule the game is the team that will winit.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think you have a wrong mindset about this. Every competition on every level in whatever hemisphere play different styles of rugby. You'll find even in Sydneys club competition teams that will play more attacking rugby compare to teams that prefer more kicking. It all depend on teams strengths and weaknesses and which gameplan they want to play to win the competition.

The Refs have the same rules for all the teams and the team that adabt the best to the way the ref rule the game is the team that will winit.

I agree with what you are saying there Paarl, that's why I purposely used the term "generally" before describing the NH and SH styles of play. I just feel that the SH refs have a better feel for the game and better empathy with the players as opposed to the officious nature of the NH refs.

It's one of the great things about Rugby, that there is always grey areas in the game and as you say, it is up to the player's to adapt to the circumstances (weather, ground, referee, opposition) and play to their strengths.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Appointments, Week 7-10
Week 7
Rebels vs Blues in Melbourne
Referee: Bryce Lawrence
Assistant referees: Andrew Lees, James Leckie
Television match officials: Matt Goddard
Hurricanes vs Sharks in New Plymouth
Referee: Glen Jackson
Assistant referees: Garratt Williamson, Mike Fraser
Television match officials: Richard Kelly
Reds vs Brumbies in Brisbane
Referee: Steve Walsh
Assistant referees: Angus Gardner, Rohan Hoffman
Television match officials: Steve Lesczcynski
Force vs Chiefs in Perth
Referee: Jonathon White
Assistant referees: Ian Smith, Julian Pritchard
Television match officials: George Ayoub
Highlanders vs Stormers in Dunedin
Referee: Chris Pollock
Assistant referees: Keith Brown, Kane McBride
Television match officials: Vinny Munro
Cheetahs vs Lions in Welkom
Referee: Mark Lawrence
Assistant referees: Joey Salmans, Reuben Rossouw
Television match officials: Johann Meuwesen
Bulls vs Crusaders in Pretoria
Referee: Jaco Peyper
Assistant referees: Lesego Legoete, Tiaan Jonker
Television match officials: Gerrie Coetzee
Week 8
Blues vs Sharks in Auckland
Assistant referees: Jonathon White, Nick Briant
Television match officials: Bryce Lawrence
Force vs Waratahs in Perth
Referee: Glen Jackson
Assistant referees: Ian Smith, Julian Pritchard
Crusaders vs Stormers in Christchurch
Referee: Chris Pollock
Assistant referees: Vinny Munro, Mike Fraser
Television match officials: Kane McBride
Brumbies vs Rebels in Canberra
Referee: Craig Joubert
Assistant referees: James Leckie, Damien Mitchelmore
Cheetahs vs Chiefs in Bloemfontein
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan
Assistant referees: Sindile Mayende, Stefan Breytenbach
Television match officials: Shaun Veldsman
Lions vs Bulls in Johannesburg
Referee: Garratt Williamson
Assistant referees: Keith Brown, Christie du Preez
Week 9
Highlanders vs Blues in Dunedin
Referee: Bryce Lawrence
Assistant referees: Mike Fraser, Kane McBride
Television match officials: Vinny Munro
Reds vs Stormers in Brisbane
Assistant referees: Angus Gardner, Rohan Hoffman
Hurricanes vs Crusaders in Wellington
Assistant referees: Glen Jackson, Mike Fraser
Television match officials: Bryce Lawrence
Waratahs vs Rebels in Sydney
Assistant referees: James Leckie, Francisco Pastrana
Television match officials: Matt Goddard
Sharks vs Chiefs in Durban
Referee: Garratt Williamson
Assistant referees: Keith Brown, Reuben Rossouw
Bulls vs Brumbies in Pretoria
Referee: Marius Jonker
Assistant referees: Lourens van der Merwe, Rasta Rashivenga
Week 10
Blues vs Reds in Auckland
Assistant referees: Jonathan Kaplan, Glen Jackson
Television match officials: Ben Skeen
Lions vs Brumbies in Johannesburg
Referee: Keith Brown
Assistant referees: Garratt Williamson, Lesego Legoete
Television match officials: Gerrie Coetzee
Chiefs vs Hurricanes in Hamilton
Referee: Jonathon White
Television match officials: Glen Jackson, Nick Briant
Television match officials: Shane McDermott
Force vs Stormers in Perth
Referee: Jaco Peyper
Assistant referees: James Leckie, Damien Mitchelmore
Cheetahs vs Highlanders in Bloemfontein
Referee: Mark Lawrence
Assistant referees: Sindile Mayende, Stefan Breytenbach
Waratahs vs Crusaders in Sydney
Assistant referees: Craig Joubert, Andrew Lees

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The bit where they add insult to injury is that Craig Joubert is one of the assistant referees for the Crusaders game.

The distance between a bad referee and a good referee will literally be 20m.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I never get why they don't have the top refs (eg Joubert, Walsh) reffing every week. FFS it's like they are resting them, that 80 minutes running around makes them SO tired that they can' back up for a second week in a row.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No more of this discussion please Paarl and Slim. You have had that fight already. The articles have been posted, the points made.

Time for both of you to drop it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I agree completely.
Now why do you always bring it up again? I let go after been warned but it seem you want me to be banned from this board. If you dont want me here, just say it and I'll leave and wont shut the door. Its getting tiredsome to bring back the same old same time and time and time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.