• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm not sure if this article comes across as the Stormers electing for tactically astute selections, or them focusing on (perhaps even fearing) the Bulls, perhaps to the detriment of their own game. Either way, I can't wait for the game, even if it is on at 4 am over here.

The Stormers will start with Rynhardt Elstadt on the blindside flank in Saturday's Super Rugby showdown with the Bulls at Newlands.

The home side are clearly looking to bulk up their loose trio as Elstadt - who began his career as a loose forward, but has since been converted into a lock - comes in for Nick Koster, who drops to the bench.

Elstadt's inclusion means a reshuffle in the back row with Duane Vermeulen moving to number eight.

"The reason we've made that selection is because we want to get parity up front," said Stormers coach Allister Coetzee.

"We saw what the Bulls did to a Wallaby-studded pack last week - they absolutely demolished them. We have to be prepared for that physical assault.

"Rynhardt's played two games so he is match ready, and is no stranger to the flank position. He played there for the WP Under-21s and the SA Under-20s. He will give us something extra as a ball-carrier and another good line-out option.

"All in all it means we go into this game with a big pack, and that's what you need against the Bulls."

The only other change to the team sees the return of hooker Deon Fourie on the bench while Scarra Ntubeni drops out of the matchday 22.

In other news from the Stormers' camp, back-up flyhalf Gary van Aswegen will miss the four-game tour of Australasia after picking up a serious ankle injury. He will be out for three to four week.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_7633049,00.html

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oom Paarl's survival kit when he goes the watch a Bulls Stormers game:

biltong-selection600.jpg

Wellington-logo.jpg

sam0067w.jpg

for pudding
24118_2.jpg
Fixed!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Brutes excellent acquisitions this year Jandre Kruger, Jacques Potgieter, Johann Sadie and JJ Engelbrecht will know exactly after saturday why they did not made the Stormers S15 team in the past and had to go to the Brutes to play at this level.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well done goats.

That was like a test match.

Fuckity fuck. With ten minutes to go you lot looked gone. Our inexperience cost us a little.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
The intensity in that match, particularly in the first half, felt like test match like intensity! It was certainly a significant step up from the intensity in the previous match (Lions vs Crusaders). The Stormers have been impressive this season and seem to be an improved version of last years team IMO.

The youngsters in the pack have certainly made the step up. Eben Etzebeth in particular has been a standout week in and week out. He has added further physicality to an already strong pack. Joe Pieterson's goal kicking and out of hand kicking have taken a lot of pressure off Peter Grant and have allowed him to play his natural game. Siya Kolisi has stepped into Schalk's shoes well and will provide a solid option on the bench once Schalk returns. Thought Elstadt was a little off the pace. Probably tough on him to step up from Vodacom Cup into a match of that intensity first up. Bryan Habana seems to be playing with a little more confidence than he did last year too.

Hopefully once they are on tour, the pressure will have lifted off them slightly and we will see more enterprising play from their backs. Perhaps they will then go out with the attitude of trying to win the game, rather than trying not to lose the game and their play will be more expansive.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Stayed up to watch Lions v Saders. Saders started slow, Lions were doing all the running, great defence from Saders to keep them out, our kicking was not so great in the first half. Second half the territorial kicking from the Saders was much better & really pinned down the Lions. Saders then got a move on, Lions line-out was not very good & they lost a number of their own throws which really hurt them. Zac Guildford had a very good game. The Saders really let themselves down with some of their handling, I counted 2-3 tries that were bombed due to poor passing or poor receiving. Lions were not as good in the second half but they were gallant given their injury toll. With the travel & slow starting I can forgive my guys but its going to be very tough assignment next game.

I only saw the first 10min of the Stormers/Bulls game cause by then I really needed sleep, the pinkness of the Bulls outfit was blinding me too. Very intense if the first 10min was anything to by.

Looking forward to Cheetahs v Lions next week I think that should be a running Rugby feast.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well done goats.

That was like a test match.

Fuckity fuck. With ten minutes to go you lot looked gone. Our inexperience cost us a little.
Boet your team was really awesome. Brutes played very well and the one derby match I really would not mind if we lost it. In my books the 2012 S15 match of the series so far. The Newlands crod was a buss and the rugby did not disappoint one second. Two teams did not ask a inch and went brutal into each other.

The turn around for the Brutes was when they had to dig it out with 14 men and the Stormers try to throw the sink at them.

For the first time in many years the Stormers have a tight head (Frans Malherbe) who makes the differense for them at the death of matches. He sure show his mettle again last night with that penalty he dig up for us like against the Canes and Sharks when our scrum simply push them for the pill.

Its been another huge weekend for SA Rugby, Tin Ears fight back after staring into a huge defeat and the Sharks getting their win in many years at Canberra. Even the Lions show some fight at Bobbejaansberg.

Stormers will head south into a new chapter with a bunch of youngsters full of confidense. Every win for us on tour will be nothing more then a bonus and the tour itself will be a huge challenge and Everest in the waiting.

The Brutes showed they are top class if they can repeat their Newlands show.

CC rugby showed on Newlands its the backbone of everything rugby in this country. This derby game reminded to the days when we played our own WC version in SA.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The intensity in that match, particularly in the first half, felt like test match like intensity! It was certainly a significant step up from the intensity in the previous match (Lions vs Crusaders). The Stormers have been impressive this season and seem to be an improved version of last years team IMO.

Fabulous game and very encouraging for Bok supporters to see young talent step up in almost Test level intensity and produce the goods. The tight 5 from both teams were superb.

Meyer is a good coach and he will have some great new talent coming through to compete with more experienced heads. He will get the culture and environment right and the Boks will be an entirely different force to reckon with with PdV out of the picture.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South African Conference

Pos Team P W D L PF PA PD TF TA BPts Pts
1 DHL Stormers 5 5 0 0 125 91 34 8 7 0 24
2 Vodacom Bulls 5 3 0 2 170 89 81 19 6 4 20
3 Sharks 6 3 0 3 143 135 8 15 11 5 17
4 Toyota Cheetahs 6 2 0 4 168 194 -26 15 17 4 12
5 MTN Lions 5 1 0 4 107 134 -27 7 12 2 10

Fixtures:
6 Hurricanes v Sharks Yarrow Stadium, New Plymouth 09:35
7 Highlanders v DHL Stormers Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin 09:35
7 Toyota Cheetahs v MTN Lions Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein 15:00
7 Vodacom Bulls v Crusaders Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria 17:05

Some mouth watering SA vs NZ matches coming up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
:D This is almost as funny as the Tahs v Reds banter.

The only difference being that Stormers fans are even more annyoing than Reds and Tahs fans put together.

Sit on a mountain and smoke horny goat weed all day and your mind goes funny.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Boet your team was really awesome. Brutes played very well and the one derby match I really would not mind if we lost it. In my books the 2012 S15 match of the series so far. The Newlands crod was a buss and the rugby did not disappoint one second. Two teams did not ask a inch and went brutal into each other.

The turn around for the Brutes was when they had to dig it out with 14 men and the Stormers try to throw the sink at them.

For the first time in many years the Stormers have a tight head (Frans Malherbe) who makes the differense for them at the death of matches. He sure show his mettle again last night with that penalty he dig up for us like against the Canes and Sharks when our scrum simply push them for the pill.

Its been another huge weekend for SA Rugby, Tin Ears fight back after staring into a huge defeat and the Sharks getting their win in many years at Canberra. Even the Lions show some fight at Bobbejaansberg.

Stormers will head south into a new chapter with a bunch of youngsters full of confidense. Every win for us on tour will be nothing more then a bonus and the tour itself will be a huge challenge and Everest in the waiting.

The Brutes showed they are top class if they can repeat their Newlands show.

CC rugby showed on Newlands its the backbone of everything rugby in this country. This derby game reminded to the days when we played our own WC version in SA.

I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. What complete nonsense. Newlands is not the backbone of SA rugby. Maybe a rib.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. What complete nonsense. Newlands is not the backbone of SA rugby. Maybe a rib.
Sorry the other rib is the Bull Ring. ;) Its the only two venues that you'll get sell out crowds for the round robin matches.

C

Cave Dweller

The only difference being that Stormers fans are even more annyoing than Reds and Tahs fans put together.

Sit on a mountain and smoke horny goat weed all day and your mind goes funny.
Sounds like Chile that.

Status
Not open for further replies.