• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
News that Burger will be out until after the Pom tests is bad, really bad.

I was hoping he would be captain and we needed him against the Poms.

It raises the question of who will be in the back row?

Meyer has said he will go with experience so Spies and Brussow look certain but who at blindside? Alberts has been poor. Don't be surprised now to see Danie Rossouw coming back.

Not saying I'd want it but it looks very possible now. Alberts needs to get his act together.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Morne can punt it further. Look I like Grant aswell. Altho he is high on the miss tackle stats this year he is also a good 12 midfielder and solid defender. He is actually a very good bench option. The Bokke have Lambie and Frans Steyn who can do a simliar job. We struggled for years with our 10s and all of sudden there are some real young talent coming through like the above mentioned plus Taute and Jantjies from the Lions. I watched Johan Goosen since his schooldays and he sure look at the moment our best form 10. If he dont play this year in the jersey , I hope Meyer will include him rather sooner then later in the Bok setup.

Problem with Grant has always been his out of hand kicking. Whilst it has been better this year it's a perception that will stick with him. I'd have no problem with Grant but in Meyer's eyes has he done enough to take the Bok jersey away from Steyn? I doubt that very much. And again, Meyer said he will pick experience for England so there is no discussion. If Grant shoot the lights out he could push for a 3N squad spot but even then with Goosen and Lambie around? Nah.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
News that Burger will be out until after the Pom tests is bad, really bad.

I was hoping he would be captain and we needed him against the Poms.

It raises the question of who will be in the back row?

Meyer has said he will go with experience so Spies and Brussow look certain but who at blindside? Alberts has been poor. Don't be surprised now to see Danie Rossouw coming back.

Not saying I'd want it but it looks very possible now. Alberts needs to get his act together.
Kolisi?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'll have Kolisi anyday ahead of Dynasource. Also think we maybe can use Etsebeth or Elstadt in 7 if needed. Alberts play like shite at the moment. He had to many banana pies over the Dec/Jan holidays.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He will not pick an inexperienced forward against England. A back row of Kolisi / Brussow / Spies is not balanced and definitely too small for England although we will get to the breakdown and have time for a zol before they arrive.

Look, I don't want any oldies back. Merely taking note of what Meyer is intimating.

No chance he will use a 20 year old lock at 7 in tests although I think it will be a great selection. Elstadt? Maybe but I think if here were to pick a rookie at 6 it will be Potgieter because he plays with Spies. Also wouldn't mind that.

Bring back Joe van Niekerk!

Ashley J? Also too small.

Of all the local guys I would pick Elstadt. We need size and a hard arse for the Poms and this guy has that.

If Vermeulen recovers in time would he be considered at 6? Don't think so. I reckon he is seen as an 8.

Left field selection could be Juandre Kruger. He has more than enough pace. Imagine a lineout with Etsebeth, Bekker and Kruger! Whoohah!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll have Kolisi anyday ahead of Dynasource. Also think we maybe can use Etsebeth or Elstadt in 7 if needed. Alberts play like shite at the moment. He had to many banana pies over the Dec/Jan holidays.

Alberts simply looks unfit and I think the Sharks rushed him back too soon.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has Josh Strauss ever been capped?

Or is he one of those players that goes really well domestically, but is unable to step up. I suppose also that if you guys are looking for a big guy in the backrow, he doesn't really fit the bill.......

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Has Josh Strauss ever been capped?

Or is he one of those players that goes really well domestically, but is unable to step up. I suppose also that if you guys are looking for a big guy in the backrow, he doesn't really fit the bill.......
No he hasnt been capped. He is also in dire form at the moment and is more your 7 (our 6 ) type flanker, the same as Brussouw. Minnie play the same way.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Meanwhile back in Pretoria.

bulls-laitie.jpg

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
haha

Amen!, is he still doing well up North?

I watched to Top 14 highlights from last weekend. Joe broke the line, offloaded to Bakkies who put s back away to score with a deft little pass. I hope Heyneke did NOT see it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South African Conference
Pos Team P W D L PF PA PD TF TA BPts Pts
1 DHL Stormers 9 8 0 1 210 144 66 16 9 1 37
2 Vodacom Bulls 8 6 0 2 270 171 99 28 16 5 37
3 Sharks 9 4 0 5 202 218 -16 21 21 7 27
4 Toyota Cheetahs 9 3 0 6 260 274 -14 22 26 6 22
5 MTN Lions 8 1 0 7 150 226 -76 12 25 2 14

A bit of a gap between the top two and the rest.
Fixtures for this weekend:
May
04 11:40 Rebels vs Vodacom Bulls AAMI Park, Melbourne
05 09:35 Chiefs vs MTN Lions Bayer Growers Stadium, Pukekohe
05 17:05 Sharks vs Highlanders Mr Price Kings Park, Durban
05 19:10 Toyota Cheetahs vs Force Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein

T

tranquility

What do you fine folk think of Cobus Grobbelaar? I have always rated him as a very good toiler, who puts in despite always being in a losing pack.

T

tranquility

Of course... will he go down as a Lions legend in the same vain as a Nathan Sharpe at the Force? or is he more of a Sean Hardman type player at the Reds, who is out most capped player, but was almost never our first choice hooker?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Of course... will he go down as a Lions legend in the same vain as a Nathan Sharpe at the Force? or is he more of a Sean Hardman type player at the Reds, who is out most capped player, but was almost never our first choice hooker?

'Baywatch' Grobbelaar has been a good servant of the Lions for the last few years and always gives 100%. But the Lions are a team with a long history (they were founded before 1900) and this period that Grobbelaar has been involved with the team will definitely be seen as a dark period! They have previously produced legends and World Cup winners like Francois Pienaar, Kobus Wiese, Hennie Le Roux to name a few. So no, Grobbelaar certainly won't go down as a legend of the club.

Hard to compare this to the Force who have only been in existence for a couple of years and Sharpey has captained them since they began. Sharpey also has over 100 test caps while Grobbelaar has never been selected for the Springboks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers vs Tin Ears on Newlands this weekend.
Sport24
De Villiers to lead Stormers

2012-05-09 12:31
Cape Town - The return of Gio Aplon, Jean de Villiers and Eben Etzebeth from injury this week, has seen a number of changes to the Stormers' match 22 from the team that beat the Force in Perth a fortnight ago.

In the starting XV, Aplon starts in the 14 jersey with Gerhard van den Heever dropping to the bench and JP du Plessis dropping out of the match 22.

De Villiers slots in at 12, with Juan de Jongh moving to 13 and Bryan Habana back to the wing. Danie Poolman drops out of the match 22.

In the front row Steven Kitshoff retains his place with Deon Fourie coming in for Tiaan Liebenberg and Brok Harris in for Frans Malherbe, both of whom will play from the bench. Reserve hooker Scarra Ntubeni falls out of the match 22.

Etzebeth returns from injury at No 4 lock, with De Kock Steenkamp dropping down to the bench and Don Armand falling out of the 22.

In the only other change, London Irish and Canadian No 8/flank Jebb Sinclair, who joined the Stormers on Wednesday on loan, will provide loose forward cover from the bench.

Teams:

Stormers:

15. Joe Pietersen, 14. Gio Aplon, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Jean de Villiers (captain), 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Peter Grant, 9. Dewaldt Duvenage, 8. Nizaam Carr, 7. Rynhardt Elstadt, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Andries Bekker, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Deon Fourie, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16. Tiaan Liebenberg, 17. Frans Malherbe, 18. De Kock Steenkamp, 19. Jebb Sinclair, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Burton Francis, 22. Gerhard van den Heever

Cheetahs:

15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Cameron Jacobs, 13 Robert Ebersohn, 12 Andries Strauss, 11 Willie le Roux, 10 Sias Ebersohn, 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Philip van der Walt, 7 Justin Downey, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Izak van der Westhuizen, 4 George Earle, 3 WP Nel, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Coenie Oosthuizen

Substitutes: 16 Hercu Liebenberg, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Andries Ferreira, 19 Ashley Johnson, 20 Tewis de Bruyn, 21 Riaan Smit, 22 Philip Snyman

Status
Not open for further replies.