• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Shame to see the Lions wanting him. Given what they are building, I don't see him having a lot to offer.

A shame to see them wanting him? A player that has the potential to be world class at 12 or 15 if given a decent run there, but also offers a very solid option at 13 or on the wing and can play 10 at a push. Let's not forget he's still only 24 years old.

He would be an asset to any of the SA Super Rugby teams and IMO would be able to find a starting position in any of the 15 Super Rugby teams.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
Why surprising?

surprising in that his form leading up to rwc had been solid without being spectacular. he is a fantastic player to watch when he plays well and i felt sorry for him when he wasnt able to play in the qf, but as an opposition supporter i was not disappointed.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Although I think for SA rugby it is the best place for him to go, he will likely end up in Cape Town or Durban. He should go to Durban. Anything in the midfield will help them.

With Jac Fourie gone it may free up some cash to make him a decent offer at the Stormers. He wont go back to the Sharks. I just have the idea he is pushing for a bigger contract and may end up in Japan. The Saru policy of picking overseas players dont put any pressure on him to return. His agent is fucking around.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
surprising in that his form leading up to rwc had been solid without being spectacular. he is a fantastic player to watch when he plays well and i felt sorry for him when he wasnt able to play in the qf, but as an opposition supporter i was not disappointed.

Do you base this on the one test he played before RWC or on form with Racing?

And the year before for the Boks, and the really good 2009?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
With Jac Fourie gone it may free up some cash to make him a decent offer at the Stormers. He wont go back to the Sharks. I just have the idea he is pushing for a bigger contract and may end up in Japan. The Saru policy of picking overseas players dont put any pressure on him to return. His agent is fucking around.

Nope. He has specifically said he wants to go back to SA. In English and in French and I am sure if you look you will find it in Afrikaans. He is too young to go to Japan and he knows this.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nope. He has specifically said he wants to go back to SA. In English and in French and I am sure if you look you will find it in Afrikaans. He is too young to go to Japan and he knows this.
Dunno the english you are teach in Australia
Rugby365
Steyn coming home to SA?
Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:38

Who has the cash to buy a Bok star? (c) Gallo

Springbok utility back Frans Steyn could be on his way back to South Africa at the conclusion of his contract with French club Racing Metro, which expires at the end of June next year.

The 24-year-old has not played for Racing yet this season following his shoulder injury that he sustained during South Africa's World Cup pool victory over Samoa.

Steyn's agent, Gerrie Swart, confirmed to Volksblad that the versatile backline ace was considering coming home to resume his career on South African shores.

"We're currently looking at options and there are possible shifts back to South Africa," Swart explained.

more or less the same if I understand Boertaal
Die Burger
Die groot senter se agent, Gerrie Swart, het gister aan Sport24 bevestig dat Steyn dit oorweeg om weer in Suid-Afrika te kom rugby speel nadat sy kontrak met sy Franse klubspan, Racing Metro, aan die einde van Junie eindig.

“Ons kyk tans na opsies en daar is moontlike skuiwe terug Suid-Afrika toe,” het Swart, wat tans in Frankryk is om Steyn se toekomsplanne met hom te bespreek, gesê.

Say absolute nothing, he is chasing the big money and wont be back as long as Saru dont force him to play here to qualify for the Bok jersey.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
Do you base this on the one test he played before RWC or on form with Racing?

And the year before for the Boks, and the really good 2009?

i'm basing it on that during the rwc he played better than he has ever played before in bok colours.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Meanwhile back in the asylum the new Bulls jersey has been unveiled.

Holy crapness and shitness.

Bulls-kit-competition_2690645.jpg

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What do Bulls fans feel about Spies a captain?

The guy is anonymous on the field already..

Not happy.

He does not strike me as a leader. Doesn't have the aura we are used to with Bulls Captains over the years. You can't even say he leads from the front with his play because well, he doesn't.

Until not too long ago every just assumed Dewald Potgieter would be the next captain. His play has gone backwards and a couple of very good youngsters are pushing for his place (one particularly good).

I would have preferred Ralepele but there you go.

Spies. Meh. Come on Toulon. You know you want him.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Meanwhile back in the asylum the new Bulls jersey has been unveiled.

Holy crapness and shitness.

Bulls-kit-competition_2690645.jpg

That jersey is infinitely worse than any Stade Francais offering. I think it will probably make the TV cameras pixelate (if that's the right word?) too. Abomination is just too kind.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers Warm Ups:
DATE
EVENT
VENUE
21 Jan 2012
Friendly: Boland vs DHL Stormers
Boland Rugby Stadium
27 Jan 2012
Neo Africa Tri-Series: DHL Stormers vs Lions
DHL Newlands
31 Jan 2012
Neo Africa Tri-Series: Lions vs Sharks
DHL Newlands
04 Feb 2012
Neo Africa Tri-Series: DHL Stormers vs Sharks
DHL Newlands
10 Feb 2012
Club Newlands: DHL Stormers Sleep-Over
DHL Newlands
11 Feb 2012
Friendly: EP Kings vs DHL Stormers
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium
19 Feb 2012
Pick n Pay Newlands Cricket Challenge: Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras vs DHL Stormers
Sahara Park Newlands
22 Feb 2012
Club Newlands: DHL Stormers Kick-Off Party
TBC
Meanwhile the Sharks withdraw from the Neo Africa Tri-Series warm up tournament

Beeld
There was concern here that our pre-season program would comprise predominantly away games, should we play against the Stormers and Lions in Cape Town,” said van Zyl. “We also feel that we’d be able to secure gate takings if we play another game at home.”

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Rassie quits Province
Cape Town - Rassie Erasmus has shocked the Western Province Rugby Union (WPRU) by resigning from his position as director of coaching.

Erasmus's lawyer, Frikkie Erasmus, confirmed the news to Die Burger newspaper on Monday.

"Rassie is looking at other options. There are other choices, especially overseas," said Frikkie Erasmus.

Rassie Erasmus has already informed the Stormers' management team of his decision to quit.

He was last year mentioned as a possible candidate to become the next Springbok coach after he assisted them as a technical adviser at the World Cup in New Zealand. However, the South African Rugby Union (SARU) will only comment on the new Bok coaching team on January 27.

Heyneke Meyer and Gert Smal are apparently the two strongest candidates for the Springbok head coaching position.

Die Burger further understands that clubs in England and France are after Erasmus's services.

He started his tenure at the WPRU in late 2007. He then coached the Stormers to fifth position in the 2008 Super 14, just missing out on a semi-final spot. But he struggled to handle the constant media pressure and was appointed in his current role as director of coaching with Allister Coetzee taking over the coaching reigns.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Rassie-quits-at-Province-20120109

What do you make of this Paarl? Interesting timing considering the Bok coach is due to be named on 27th January...

S

spooony

Jaque Fourie staying in Japan. Typical Vaalie. The love for more money

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Short answer. Rugby and its politics.
Haha thanks for the insightful comment Spoony!

I was more interested in the timing of his resignation (if it was indeed a resignation??). Something along these lines:

Erasmus quits Stormers as Boks lurk

Former South Africa international Rassie Erasmus is considering 'a number of new opportunities' after resigning from his role as director of coaching at the Stormers.

Erasmus, who won 36 caps for South Africa between 1997 and 2001, informed the Western Province Rugby Union on Monday of his decision to quit after just over four years in the role.
The former Springbok flanker has been linked with a role with a full-time South Africa as they look to appoint a new coaching set-up. And Erasmus, who acted as a technical analyst for the Springboks at the World Cup, admitted there are opportunities at a 'higher level' than Super Rugby.

"There are a number of new opportunities that have surfaced at a higher level and I am currently considering my options," he told Die Burger newspaper. "Each is an exciting and massive new challenge, and that is a big attraction to me at this stage of my career. In the interim I have offered to continue to assist at Province whenever required.

"I have enjoyed my time here in the Cape immensely and feel that I have contributed to facilitating building the structures that have taken us to the brink of success.
"I have no doubt that that success is but a tiny step away now and I leave Province satisfied with the strides made. I am grateful to Province for the opportunity and Newlands, the Stormers, WP and the fans will always have a special place in my heart."

Last season the Stormers finished top of the Super Rugby's South African conference before being knocked out of the competition in the semi-finals by the Crusaders. And Erasmus believes he leaves the Super Rugby franchise in a strong position and well placed for sustained future success.

"The pieces are in place at Province," said Erasmus. "Over the past few seasons we have put the structures in place and they are working well.
"The management team and player base is settled and there are now a fantastic bunch of youngsters pushing the older guys hard. The squad is very close to taking that final step and winning silverware." added the coach.

"My job is largely done here and there is no doubt in my mind that Allister (Coetzee), Matt (Proudfoot), Fleckie (Rob Fleck) and the rest of the management and players have got what it takes to get there."
http://www.espnscrum.com/southafrica/rugby/story/157275.html

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
My take: got wind that he is not getting the bok job. Packing up his toys and going home, or in his case, overseas?

Everyone knows that you can only stay in the Cape for that long until the place gets on your tits. Time to go get a real job Rassie. :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers play tomorrow their first warm vs Boland in Wellington.

Stormers vs. Boland: Gerhard van den Heever; Danie Poolman, JP du Plessis, Adrian Kritzinger, Ederies Arendse; Burton Francis, Bolla Conradie; Nizaam Carr, Donovan Armandt, Rueben Johannes, De Kock Steenkamp ©, Eben Etsebeth, Frans Malherbe, Clemen Lewis, Allistair Vermaak.

JP du Plessis debut. His dad previous a Lions fitness coach being cut and moved to Paal. His small brother is in my laaities class at Paarl Gym and also a usefull rugby player.

Young team this and game will be broadcast live on SS6
Boland vs. Stormers: Jacquin Jansen; Alistair Kettledas, Jonathan Francke, Siviwe Magaba, Brandon April; Ricardo Croy, Neil Papier; Junior Bester ©, Thor Halvorsen, Milroy Isaacs, Nolan Clark, Jerry Sefoko, Peet Vorster, Chris Buckle, Charl du Plessis. Reserwes: Martin Nel, Ludwig Ras, BJ Julies, Jaco du Toit, PJ van Zyl, Franzel September, Zandré Jordaan, Juwell Samuels, Armand Marais, Jeremy Plaatjies, Cola Williams, Senan van der Merwe, Trevor van Rooyen, Adriaan Klaasen, Adam Barlow.

10 of the Boland starting 15 players of colour

Status
Not open for further replies.