• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
df53bfc47d5c4f9c8273932105edb941.jpg

Stormer players at practise cooling off

S

spooony

jesus its been over 34 here in cape town for days. been frying eggs on my rig. they must be suffering lol

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers winning 45-14 at 34 degrees heat in front of 25,000 crowd. Big day for Boland rugby and sure show rugby culture is still strong at home. 8 Club players in their team and did not played that bad. Ricardo Croy for Boland and JP du Plessis, Bolla and my man of the match Nizaam Carr impressed. Write the name Nizaam Carr down, you'll get to know him very quick.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yes they play in the Currie Cup. Boland and Western Province used to provide the bulk of the Stormers Super Rugby team but more and more players are moving around the country these days.

S

spooony

Yes they play in the Currie Cup. Boland and Western Province used to provide the bulk of the Stormers Super Rugby team but more and more players are moving around the country these days.
You mean The Sharks do what they do so good for over 100 years...... Steal talent from other Provinces.

I know who makes up the Stormers team I been supporting province for ages. When I was a kid we buy a bag of naartjies like most of the province supporters did and you aim for the Blue Bull with the blond hair wearing the no 10 on his shirt and goes by the name of Naas.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The trouble was that old Naas stood so deep that you needed a cut lunch and a drink for the journey to get to him. Never liked it when anybody had the temerity to tackle him which was usually a bit late.

A wonderful kicking flyhalf both from hand and goal kicking. He and Campese, playing in Italy, were the richest amateur rugby players on the planet.

In his career he scored 50,000 points and made 8 tackles - 2 more than Campo.

S

spooony

The trouble was that old Naas stood so deep that you needed a cut lunch and a drink for the journey to get to him. Never liked it when anybody had the temerity to tackle him which was usually a bit late.

A wonderful kicking flyhalf both from hand and goal kicking. He and Campese, playing in Italy, were the richest amateur rugby players on the planet.

In his career he scored 50,000 points and made 8 tackles - 2 more than Campo.
lmoa They playing at a soaking Newlands or in NZ and Naas trunks will still be sparkling white. He drop kicked the Currie Cup a couple of times for The Bulls. You can see all the flyhalfs coming out of Bull country got a massive boot and like to drop. All Naas influence. Gert Smal dropped him with a left hook once if I'm not mistaken. All started by Uli of course.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Do Boland still have a rugby team?
Boland is the perfect example for all SA provinces when it come to rugby and transformation. Its a province where rugby as a sport is well set in all their schools specially in the coloured community and have the most clubs in SA. They are ages ahead of the EP Kings, the love child of every rugby politician in SA, and the score board also agree in 2011.

I could not help thinking on saturday about the old tour games, White head (Wit Kop) Dawie de Villiers, Boland team in the 60s claimed some big scalps, including the Wallabies and WP in a CC mi and only money that stop Boland being one of SA top provinces.

No other province in world rugby will provide this many to watch a warmup game and a sign that the rugby culture is stong in our wine valleys.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Official report on the match
Sport24
Coetzee in buoyant mood

2012-01-23 09:03

c81add8824164070a7f86f6f3f6b37d1.jpg

Allister Coetzee (Gallo)
Cape Town - Allister Coetzee spent the whole of last season trying to play down to his team’s prospects to a Cape media too eager to install his Stormers side as champions when the job hadn’t been done, so the upbeat front he put on in Wellington at the weekend was meaningful.
There has been a lot of negativity around the Stormers and Western Province since the resignation of Rassie Erasmus resigned as director of rugby, so Coetzee’s eagerness to grab the opportunity to be positive was almost palpable after the 45-14 win over Boland Cavaliers at a sweltering Boland Stadium. And there was good reason for him to be upbeat for the match showed that while some star players have like Erasmus left the franchise since last season, there is a lot of young talent coming through.
You had to be at the game to understand just how hot it was, so those who watched on television might consider it a bit over the top to suggest it was an excellent game – but for the time of year and the conditions it certainly was an encouraging start for the fringe players against a team that won the Currie Cup first division last season.
“It was 39 degrees before kick-off and I was a bit nervous about that. We consulted with Boland conditioning coach Jorrie Jordaan before the game and we agreed to monitor the situation closely, so I thought the guys coped with the situation really. Fortunately there was a bit of a breeze blowing,” said Coetzee.
“We had frequent water breaks and alerted the players to the importance of staying well hydrated throughout the game. But I was very impressed with the fitness levels of the players and all things considered it was a good contest. Boland certainly provided us with a higher intensity work-out than the university teams have in the corresponding fixture in previous seasons.”
The Stormers team was also a lot more organised than in the corresponding fixtures of recent seasons, and of course they were up against a Boland team that has played together often. Boland did enough in the match to deliver another of Coetzee’s wishes – he wants his players to stay grounded and them to know at this stage that there is still work to do.
“This Boland team is very deadly off turn-over ball and they provided something for our youngsters to learn as they got both their two tries from turn-over ball,” he said.
Nonetheless, it was a comfortable win for the Stormers, who showed pleasing intensity when they took early control of the game, young forwards Eben Etzebeth and Frans Malherbe carrying the ball well and hammering themselves across the advantage line. Etzebeth, who was already an impressive specimen but has now bulked up even more, played most of the game and should have been one of the players to most please Coetzee.
“You know I don’t really like singling out names, particularly after a game of this nature, but Etzebeth, Nizaam Carr and JP du Plessis, while I was also pleased with the way the two flyhalves Burton Francis and Kurt Coleman controlled the game,” said Coetzee.
Asides from Etzebeth and veteran Bolla Conradie, the other stand-out was Du Plessis, a player who went to Australia to play rugby league after finishing school but has now returned to the Cape after a short stint with the Melbourne Rebels. With Jaque Fourie, Johann Sadie and Tim Whitehead all now playing elsewhere, the form shown by Du Plessis and to a lesser extent inexperienced midfield partner Adrian Kritzinger was very encouraging.
“The different centre pairings all impressed me and that is a good thing for it shows we do still have pleasing depth in that area,” concurred the coach.
The Stormers will play the Cheetahs in their next Super Rugby warm-up game - the first of what this year is known as the DHL Series - at Newlands on Friday night.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the look of the Sharks this year. I think they'll top their conference if they can travel well.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I like the look of the Sharks this year. I think they'll top their conference if they can travel well.
Depht? See they have Sucks back from the NH, looked thin at lock.

Meanwhile the Stormers next appointmen on friday is the Lions. Full strength this time. Vermeulen, Elstadt, Bekker, Duvenhage still on the comeback and wont play.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've commented on the Sharks before but I don't see how they improve, they've had the same type of squad for a few years and have always fallen a bit short. They need a coaching change up, I thought they got horribly exposed in that Currie Cup final.

S

spooony

Boland is the perfect example for all SA provinces when it come to rugby and transformation. Its a province where rugby as a sport is well set in all their schools specially in the coloured community and have the most clubs in SA. They are ages ahead of the EP Kings, the love child of every rugby politician in SA, and the score board also agree in 2011.

I could not help thinking on saturday about the old tour games, White head (Wit Kop) Dawie de Villiers, Boland team in the 60s claimed some big scalps, including the Wallabies and WP in a CC mi and only money that stop Boland being one of SA top provinces.

No other province in world rugby will provide this many to watch a warmup game and a sign that the rugby culture is stong in our wine valleys.
There is a big color community there so its not actually transformation. Boland never had to do it because the majority of rugby players were colored. The university was also a big feeding ground for them

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There is a big color community there so its not actually transformation. Boland never had to do it because the majority of rugby players were colored. The university was also a big feeding ground for them
I dont agree Boet. We do have a big coloured community who have a great rugby culture and that is the example for the other provinces.Grow and invest in rugby at grassroots of all the community and the culture get set automatically which will make transformation a non issue. The Brutes poach our colourd player from schoolboy level iso ivesting their own players.

Maties going the Boland root dont happen that often these days. You'll find them mostly at Griquas and Lions playing CC Premier League.

S

spooony

I dont agree Boet. We do have a big coloured community who have a great rugby culture and that is the example for the other provinces.Grow and invest in rugby at grassroots of all the community and the culture get set automatically which will make transformation a non issue. The Brutes poach our colourd player from schoolboy level iso ivesting their own players.

Maties going the Boland root dont happen that often these days. You'll find them mostly at Griquas and Lions playing CC Premier League.
How many farms are in the Boland? Colored people like playing rugby more than any other sport. Its not poaching anymore. In the old days when they were amateur but in the professional era its buying.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
How many farms are in the Boland? Colored people like playing rugby more than any other sport. Its not poaching anymore. In the old days when they were amateur but in the professional era its buying.
Boet our Bergies jol touch rugby in Paarl streets with an plasic empty vinegar bottle. "Colored People like playing rugby more then other sport", so do our Boer lot, why? Its a culture thing, growing up with the sport.

S

spooony

Boet our Bergies jol touch rugby in Paarl streets with an plasic empty vinegar bottle. "Colored People like playing rugby more then other sport", so do our Boer lot, why? Its a culture thing, growing up with the sport.
So its not transformation. Its just the culture. I hate that word transformation. I think the players hate it as well.

We use to use a 2lt coke bottle.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So its not transformation. Its just the culture. I hate that word transformation. I think the players hate it as well.

We use to use a 2lt coke bottle.
Trust me I hate it more then you an I am sure the players aswell, problem is that the word is used by the ANC and the SA Government and been forced on our sports and business people.

Status
Not open for further replies.