• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15R12 Stormers vs Waratahs @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moulder

The 2nd half was good but the first half where they let in two tries and kicked possession away needlessly is why they lost. Stupid game plan.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Mumm walks off. But is going to need some scans.

Tahs need a new mindset.

Once again, close but no cigar.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Another losing bonus point for the Tahs and I'm sure once again they'll focus on the positives. They need to think about why they always come out on the wrong side of these tight games.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
After such an excellent HEC win by Leinster there's nothing like a Tahs game to bring me back down to earth. Come on the Tahs win a tight one for once!

Congrats on the HEC win!

Tahs, however, are still the Tahs...

M

Moulder

Strong game from B Foley, excellent under the high ball, good kick returns and injects himself into the backline well.

M

Moulder

Well the first half tactics were clearly the negatives, not sure who came up with the idea of kicking the ball away even inside the Stormers' half literally every time Barnes touched the ball.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
The positives for the Tahs as usual came up front. Front row solid and the scrum, especially in the 1st half, was superior. Although the Tahs won their lineouts there was some scrappy ball which put McKibbin on the back foot.

Both of the Stormers 1st half tries came off the back of penalties. The 2nd ball on the field in the lead up to the 2nd try just added to the Tahs' torment.

Although the Tahs had plenty of possession in the 1st 20 mins it was kicked away aimlessly by Barnes with a series of unimaginative "up & unders" that were too long for the chasers to truly compete. The SA commentator wondered whether Barnes was attempting a world record of Guinness proportions! It might just be my perception but he seems to kick far more judiciously for the Wallabies - granted it's not usually from 10. 16-3 down at half-time.

Kane Douglas ' surging run led to a quick interchange to put Horne in shortly after half-time; close to Horne's 1st touch of the ball such had been the disdain shown to use the backline.

Another excellent strike from McKibbin saw the deficit reduced to 16-13 only 7 mins into the 2nd term. Although the equally accurate Grant soon took it to 19-13. At that stage it looked like more points were still on offer for both teams

After some excellent counter rucking & keeping the ball in hand, Kepu sadly dropped the pill & an almost certain try went beggiing which could've seen the Tahs take an unlikely lead. To add insult to injury Kepu was belatedly penalised for interfering with a would be defender.

The Tahs kept on pressing but a turnover/penalty often came just before ascendency was established. Yet another desparate close loss that more attacking intent/creativity in the 1st half could've avoided.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Tahs needed a four try bonus point win. What on earth would be the point of kicking the ball away?

Sounds as though they were trying for a nil all draw (as a schoolboy coach of mine once suggested to our team before we ran on!)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The Tahs needed a four try bonus point win. What on earth would be the point of kicking the ball away?

Sounds as though they were trying for a nil all draw (as a schoolboy coach of mine once suggested to our team before we ran on!)

Does every single person in a leadership position from VC to coach have fucking rocks for brains? Or was it more important to "not lose" in RSA than make the finals? Wouldn't be surprised if that was a KPI.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It does seem to be the over-arching mantra - "Try not to lose". At the moment, I have no coherent thoughts about what the Tahs need to do.
As much as it delights more than a few fans of other teams to see the Tahs so low, with the limited playing stocks in this country, it serves no-one well to have a "strong" team in terms of talent (or potential talent) floundering around the arse end of the table.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely agree Cyclo - Australian rugby is poorer for the current plight of the Waratahs. As much as anything winning is a habit and you want to be picking as many 'winners' in the Wallabies as possible. By this I don't mean for a second you don't pick the best players in each position - but teams that have extended success normally have a core group or leaders who back themselves in any situation and, invariably, come good in a tight contest.

Of course it is a 'chicken and the egg' situation - that confidence normally comes from success - and doesn't override the need for a successful game plan and good execution.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Perhaps the collective thinking from the outset was that it had been raining & the slippery conditions could force the Stormers into error with the "aerial raids". OK as a plan A. However, the tactic was used ad nauseum by Barnes & the Stormers' backs (& everyone else) could see it coming & were ready to defuse any threat which was impotent given the inaacuracy of the kicks. There appeared to be no plan B even when the Tahs had the ball in good field position.

In the 2nd half Barnes produced 2 excellent "banana style" kicks that both found the line & Foley also produced a significant touch finder. The Tahs then gained the benefit of field position from which they applied pressure. Sadly, an error/penalty deprived them of much needed points. Yet it was frustratingly clear that had the 2nd half kicking tactics been employed earlier the deficit probably wouldn't have been as great.

The basis of a more successful team is there, (there were some good individual performances); there's a failure to produce a well structured 80mins team effort.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have got through the first 15 minutes and then turned this game off. :eek:

I will try to watch this later probably with alcohol to numb the pain

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Random observations:​
  • A battle of two teams that play not to lose. One of them really knows how to do it well.
  • The Stormers will not win this competition with this game plan unless they keep winning and play the final at home.
  • They Stormers have to sign a new backline coach. With that kind of firepower to not score tries is a crime.
  • The Tahs need to sigh a new board, administration, coaching team, cleaner, cook, tea lady, gardener, driver, person who paints the lines. That should do it.
  • The Tahs scrum is excellent
  • The Stormers scrum has gone to that toilet in Trainspotting
  • Eben Etzebeth is an animal and for a 20 year old he is freakishly strong. Imagine in 3 years? Scary.
  • Stormers have an even bigger back row crisis with Kolisi now broken
  • Someone should slap Pakalani. What a little twat for carrying on.
I think that's it.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would like that but I can't. At least you guys don't have to write the review :(

I'm not sure if anyone actually reads them any more either

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I would like that but I can't. At least you guys don't have to write the review :(

I'm not sure if anyone actually reads them any more either
Ouch. Feel free to quote me for the review. Like, make that the entire review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom